Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Each year, an official estimate of the stock of cod in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 3

Each year, an official estimate of the stock of cod in the [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2007, 20:14
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Each year, an official estimate of the stock of cod in the Grand Banks is announced. This estimate is obtained by averaging two separate estimates of how many cod are available, one based on the number of cod caught by research vessels during a once-yearly sampling of the area and the other on the average number of tons of cod caught by various commercial vessels per unit of fishing effort expended there in the past year—a unit of fishing effort being one kilometer of net set out in the water for one hour. In previous decades, the two estimates usually agreed closely. However, for the last decade the estimate based on commercial tonnage has been increasing markedly, by about the same amount as the sampling-based estimate has been decreasing.

Which one of the following, if true, most helps to account for the growing discrepancy between the estimate based on commercial tonnage and the research-based estimate?
(A) Fishing vessels often exceed their fishing quotas for cod and therefore often underreport the number of tons of cod that they catch.
(B) More survey vessels are now involved in the yearly sampling effort than were involved 10 years ago.
(C) Improvements in technology over the last 10 years have allowed commercial fishing vessels to locate and catch large schools of cod more easily.
(D) Survey vessels count only those cod caught during a 30-day survey period, whereas commercial dishing vessels report all cod caught during the course of a year.
(E) Because of past overfishing of cod, fewer fishing vessels now catch the maximum tonnage of cod each vessel is allowed by law to catch.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 1

[#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2007, 20:24
This post received
KUDOS
D seems to be the best answer
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 02:38
This post received
KUDOS
(D)

If survey vessels count only 30-day survey period and commercial fishing vessels report for the whole of a year, there will be discrepancy in numbers..
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 06:05
This post received
KUDOS
Same thing works in the previous decade and only discrepancy happens in this decade...

Could someone ellaborate this?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
I would go with C here.

D is a trap, since this has always been the case and the discrepency has only recently made an appearence...

If however, the fishing companies can locate fish easier, they can fish out a larger precentage of fish, pushing down the actual number of available fish, while (seemingly) increase their catch...after several more years, their yield will begin to fall...but new technology makes sense of the current paradox.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [1] , given: 12

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 09:08
This post received
KUDOS
I pick C

If they are able to catch fish more easily, they will have more fish, and there will be less fish for the research team to observe

D is wrong because it didnt say that was a new revelation ni the last decade, so we must conclude that they did their estimates scientifically since they are using the same methods they used previous.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 09:15
This post received
KUDOS
I will go with D

The decoy I see in C is that it only speaks about the commercial vessels. For all I know the same could be held for Sampling vessel too. They too could use the best technology possible. However choice D clearly presents the fact from both the perspectives.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 18:18
The research vessels goal is not to catch as many fish as possible, so the technology wouldnt matter to them

The fisherman will catch a lot more fish with the new technology, therefore there will be less fish in the waters for the research vessel to observe. There will be an inverse relationship.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 19:00
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys, :-D

A challenger to those who answered C or D! :)

I would go with A!!! :shock:

(I thought hard between A and C but decided to go with A)

If fishing vessels often exceed their fishing quotas, then there would be fewer fish remaining for the survey vessels to report. There is an inverse relationship as mentioned in the passage ("However, for the last decade the estimate based on commercial tonnage has been increasing markedly, by about the same amount as the sampling-based estimate has been decreasing.") and fishing vessels catching more and thus leaving less for survey vessels to report explains it.

A weakness here though, is that the fishing vessels can continue to underreport the same amount and thus their estimate based on commercial tonnage can stay the same... :?

(D, I agree appears to be a trap...)
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 21:01
This post received
KUDOS
defenestrate wrote:
I would go with C here.

D is a trap, since this has always been the case and the discrepency has only recently made an appearence...

If however, the fishing companies can locate fish easier, they can fish out a larger precentage of fish, pushing down the actual number of available fish, while (seemingly) increase their catch...after several more years, their yield will begin to fall...but new technology makes sense of the current paradox.

Nailed it! The argument states that the research vessels do a once-yearly sampling of the area. D only clarifies the duration of that sampling period (= 30 days)
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 21:29
This post received
KUDOS
One and only (C)

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
Well i will go with C. I agree that D is a trap (a brutal one).

Cheers!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
I also go with C as it explains why the discrepancy is in the estimate and commercial tonnage is happening now. Because of advanced technology commercial fishing vessels can catch more cod, than the survey vessels. D cannot explain why the discrepancy happens now, because earlier there were better agreement between these two methods
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 2

[#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 12:52
This post received
KUDOS
C. Technology --> More fish for commerical boats --> bigger discrepency between commercial and survey.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 14:22
This post received
KUDOS
C.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager