Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Each year companies in United States could save as much as

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 2

Each year companies in United States could save as much as [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 05:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (02:11) correct 40% (01:15) wrong based on 198 sessions
Each year companies in United States could save as much as $58 billion annually by preventing illness among employees and gain as much as $200 billion through improving performance of workers if they simply provided offices with cleaner air.

(A) Same
(B) annually if they prevented employee illness and gain as much as $200 billion through worker performance improved by simply providing
(C) annually in employee illness prevention and gain as much as $200 billion through worker performance improved by simply providing
(D) in employee illness prevention and gain as much as $200 billion through improving performance of workers if they simply provided
(E) by preventing illness among employees and gain as much as $200 billion through improved worker performance if they simply provided

Answer says E, however "preventing illness" and "if they simply provided" don't seem to be parallel...Any thoughts? A, B, C are out since "each year" makes "annually" redundant. Yet I don't see a good choice between D and E either
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by synecdoche on 26 Jun 2012, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1584 [0], given: 249

Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 06:23
Expert's post
I request one and all to please underline the required parts. What does same mean? the entire sentence?These small things take a good toll of the energy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1259

Kudos [?]: 3498 [2] , given: 184

Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 07:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi there,

Each year companies in United States could save as much as $58 billion annually by preventing illness among employees and gain as much as $200 billion through improving performance of workers if they simply provided offices with cleaner air.

You have eliminated choice A, B, and C correctly for redundancy issue.

This is the sentence with Choice D: Each year companies in United States could save as much as $58 billion in employee illness prevention and gain as much as $200 billion through improving performance of workers if they simply provided offices with cleaner air.

There are two issues with this sentence.
1. “employee illness prevention” seems to be some program or the name of some policy that the companies seem to have. Preposition “in” makes it sound like one. This is not very idiomatic per the context of the sentence. The sentence is saying is “how” companies could save. It could “by” doing a certain thing. Hence, “in employee prevention” does not fit here.
2. The phrase “through improving performance of workers” is not idiomatic again. After “through” we need a noun entity because “through” is a preposition. “improving” suggests an action here.

Choice E is an error free answer choice. It uses all the expressions correctly.

Now, the entities that need to be parallel are “could save as much as…” and “(could) gain as much as…”, because these are the two things that the companies in the US could do. These two entities are parallel.

Another thing is that this sentence has the “if… then…” construction. However, the “if” clause appears later in this sentence. The “then” clause is written in past tense “could save” and “could gain”. So the “if” clause should also be in past tense. In choice E, both these clause are in past tense.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 07:20
egmat wrote:
Hi there,

You have eliminated choice A, B, and C correctly for redundancy issue.

This is the sentence with Choice D: Each year companies in United States could save as much as $58 billion in employee illness prevention and gain as much as $200 billion through improving performance of workers if they simply provided offices with cleaner air.

There are two issues with this sentence.
1. “employee illness prevention” seems to be some program or the name of some policy that the companies seem to have. Preposition “in” makes it sound like one. This is not very idiomatic per the context of the sentence. The sentence is saying is “how” companies could save. It could “by” doing a certain thing. Hence, “in employee prevention” does not fit here.
2. The phrase “through improving performance of workers” is not idiomatic again. After “through” we need a noun entity because “through” is a preposition. “improving” suggests an action here.

Choice E is an error free answer choice. It uses all the expressions correctly.

Now, the entities that need to be parallel are “could save as much as…” and “(could) gain as much as…”, because these are the two things that the companies in the US could do. These two entities are parallel.

Another thing is that this sentence has the “if… then…” construction. However, the “if” clause appears later in this sentence. The “then” clause is written in past tense “could save” and “could gain”. So the “if” clause should also be in past tense. In choice E, both these clause are in past tense.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi, I wasn't saying D is correct instead of E. When I saw it, I couldn't decide what to answer. You're correct about the "employee illness prevention", but in E, shouldn't it be "through improved worker performance by simply providing offices" instead of "through improved worker performance if they simply provided offices" as that'd be parallel to "by preventing illness....". That's the part I'm not sure about.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1259

Kudos [?]: 3498 [2] , given: 184

Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 07:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
synecdoche wrote:
Hi, I wasn't saying D is correct instead of E. When I saw it, I couldn't decide what to answer. You're correct about the "employee illness prevention", but in E, shouldn't it be "through improved worker performance by simply providing offices" instead of "through improved worker performance if they simply provided offices" as that'd be parallel to "by preventing illness....". That's the part I'm not sure about.

Hi,

If you read Choice E carefully, you will see that the two entities that are parallel are:
a. could save as much as $58 billion by preventing illness among employees
b. could gain as much as $200 billion through improved worker performance

If you carefully analyze these two entities, you will see that the first part till “billion” are absolutely parallel to each other and there is no confusion about that. Now, what should be parallel to “by preventing illness among employees” is “through improved worker performance”. Why? It is because the companies could save “by” preventing illness among employees, and the companies could gain “through” improved worker performance. The ways how companies could save and gain have been written in prepositional phrases beginning with “by” and “through” respectively.

Structurally again “verb-ing modifier” preventing illness among employees” and verb-ed modifier “improved worker performance” are parallel.

The important thing is to identify the correct parallel list. Now the gains could not be made by providing offices with cleaner air. This is a condition.

If the companies provided offices with cleaner air, then they could do things (these need to be parallel):
a. could save as much as $58 billion by preventing illness among employees
b. could gain as much as $200 billion through improved worker performance

Cleaner air could not just help the companies gain by doing something but also help them save by doing something. Both these things could be the outcome if the companies provided the offices with cleaner air. Hence, the two outcomes should be parallel. By making “by preventing…” and “by providing…”, we will make the condition parallel to just one of the outcomes, and this is not logical per the context of the sentence.

Hence, make sure to identify the correct list in the sentence to ensure correct parallelism.

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Last edited by egmat on 26 Jun 2012, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 08:03
egmat wrote:
Structurally again “verb-ing modifier” preventing illness among employees” and verb-ed modifier “improved worker performance” are parallel.

The important this is to identify the correct parallel list. Now the gains could not be made by providing offices with cleaner air. This is a condition.

That really helps. Thanks a lot!
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 154

Kudos [?]: 507 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Each year companies in United States could save as much as [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 12:56
synecdoche wrote:

(A) Same
(B) annually if they prevented employee illness and gain as much as $200 billion through worker performance improved by simply providing
(C) annually in employee illness prevention and gain as much as $200 billion through worker performance improved by simply providing
(D) in employee illness prevention and gain as much as $200 billion through improving performance of workers if they simply provided
(E) by preventing illness among employees and gain as much as $200 billion through improved worker performance if they simply provided

Take it Simple dude,

In the beginning of the sentence you see Each year, all choices except E and D have annually, so get rid of them.

In D "they" wrongly refers to employees when the sentence intends to say it about companies. SO D is wrong.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 21

Re: Each year companies in United States could save as much as [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 00:56
This post received
KUDOS
ABC is are redundant as Each year with annually is not acceptable

(D) in employee illness prevention
Quote:
(save in employee illness prevention is not idiomatic)
and gain as much as $200 billion through improving performance of workers if they simply provided
(E) by preventing illness among employees
Quote:
(Object of Verb Save)
and gain
Quote:
(parallel with save)
as much as $200 billion through improved worker performance if they simply provided
I think E is the right answer
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 33

Re: Each year companies in United States could save as much as [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 18:54
synecdoche wrote:

Answer says E, however "preventing illness" and "if they simply provided" don't seem to be parallel...Any thoughts? A, B, C are out since "each year" makes "annually" redundant. Yet I don't see a good choice between D and E either

In case of D, "they" could refer to companies or workers.
In E, this pronoun-antecedent is fixed by using "improved worker performance"if they simply provided. In case of E, they can refer only to companies. Hence i chose E.

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.

Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1584 [0], given: 249

Re: Each year companies in United States could save as much as [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 23:35
Expert's post
I think the employees are no contenders for the antecedence of –they - in D or E. After all employees are not expected to provide cleaner offices; the onus of that lies on the companies.

The more serious problem is the categorization as – in employee illness prevention -. Even in E , the phrase –improved worker performance – can be improved to – improved workers’ performance –Overall , it is ok to go with E.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Each year companies in United States could save as much as [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 07:21
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Each year companies in United States could save as much as   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2013, 07:21