Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 00:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Each year red-winged blackbirds stop in a certain region of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Each year red-winged blackbirds stop in a certain region of [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 07:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:38) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Each year red-winged blackbirds stop in a certain region of Midland Province on their
spring and fall migrations. In the fall, they eat a significant portion of the province’s
sunflower crop. This year Midland farmers sought permits to set out small amounts of
poisoned rice during the blackbirds’ spring stop in order to reduce the fall blackbird
population. Some residents voiced concern that the rice could threaten certain species of
rare migratory birds. Nevertheless, the wildlife agency approved the permits.
Which of the following, if true, most helps to justify the wildlife agency’s approval of the
permits, given the concerns voiced by some residents?
A. In the region where the red-winged blackbirds stop, they are the first birds to be
present in the spring.
B. The poison that farmers want to use does not kill birds but rather makes them
incapable of producing viable eggs.
C. Since rice is not raised in Midland Province, few species of birds native to the
province normally eat rice.
D. Without the permit, any farmers shown to have set out poison for the blackbirds
would be heavily fined.
E. The poison that farmers got approval to use has no taste or smell that would make
it detectable by birds.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 92 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-blackbirds [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 11:22
This post received
KUDOS
12345678 wrote:
Each year red-winged blackbirds stop in a certain region of Midland Province on their
spring and fall migrations. In the fall, they eat a significant portion of the province’s
sunflower crop. This year Midland farmers sought permits to set out small amounts of
poisoned rice during the blackbirds’ spring stop in order to reduce the fall blackbird
population. Some residents voiced concern that the rice could threaten certain species of
Which of the following, if true, most helps to justify the wildlife agency’s approval of the
A. In the region where the red-winged blackbirds stop, they are the first birds to be
present in the spring.
B. The poison that farmers want to use does not kill birds but rather makes them
C. Since rice is not raised in Midland Province, few species of birds native to the
D. Without the permit, any farmers shown to have set out poison for the blackbirds
would be heavily fined.
E. The poison that farmers got approval to use has no taste or smell that would make
it detectable by birds.

This one seems a straight A. B is as good as killing the rare birds. C talks about native birds whereas the concern is towards migratory birds.
D and E are irrelevant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 11:24
I like answer C. If few species will eat rice, then there won't be worry about special rare migratory birds.

B and D seems out of scope. A and E seems irrelevant to me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 11:26
Never mind, I think I read the choice wrong. Probably will go with A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 11:31
Only A seems correct to me.

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 18:17
Choice A.
Manager
Manager

How come choice A? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 01:41
Hi all, I really did not understand why most of have chosen choice A. Whats the meaning of statement "they are the first birds to be
present in the spring. "

My choice is B - because if the poisoned rice is not killing birds but affecting on their eggs then that will not increase birds population.

please explain on choice A.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 03:09
between A and B.

since the passage says farmer's try to reduce the population of blackbirds B stands out of the corwd
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-blackbirds [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 05:54
12345678 wrote:
present in the spring.
would be heavily fined.
it detectable by birds.

I would go for A.

Since B would also effect the certain species of rare migratory birds too by making them incapable of producing viable eggs and hence reducing their population.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 06:00
'B' for me
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 06:05
I really can't get any answer choice that makes sense.

By POE:

A - Doesn't justify. Even if blackbirds are the first to stop, it doesn't mean they would eat up all the poisoned rice.

C - Talks about native birds. Concern is about rare migratory birds.

D - Irrelevant.

E - It makes no sense if the poison is not detectable.

I am left with B.

The assumption that needs to be taken for B to be correct is that the word 'Threaten' used in the passage implies killing of the birds. On assuming this to be true, one can say that because blackbirds would be incapable of producing eggs, their population in the fall would decrease.
Regarding the other species, this would also impact them but would not be 'threatening'.

Any other comments to solve out this?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 06:14
This post received
KUDOS
I chose A.

Each year red-winged blackbirds stop in a certain region of Midland Province on their spring and fall migrations. In the fall, they eat a significant portion of the province’s sunflower crop. This year Midland farmers sought permits to set out small amounts of poisoned rice during the blackbirds’ spring stop in order to reduce the fall blackbird population. Some residents voiced concern that the rice could threaten certain species of rare migratory birds. Nevertheless, the wildlife agency approved the permits. Which of the following, if true, most helps to justify the wildlife agency’s approval of the permits, given the concerns voiced by some residents?

A. In the region where the red-winged blackbirds stop, they are the first birds to be present in the spring. (CORRECT -- IF RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS ARE FIRST TO ARRIVE IN THE REGION, THE FARMERS CAN TIME THE USE OF POISONED RICE SO THAT IT CAN BE USED TO POISON THE RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS ONLY. BEFORE OTHER MIGRATORY BIRDS ARRIVE, THE USE OF POSION RICE CAN STOP.)

B. The poison that farmers want to use does not kill birds but rather makes them incapable of producing viable eggs. (THIS WILL THREATEN THE SUSTAINABILITY OF OTHER MIGRATORY BIRDS)

C. Since rice is not raised in Midland Province, few species of birds native to the province normally eat rice. (THIS IMPLIES THAT THERE ARE STILL SOME SPEICIES --- EVEN THOUGH IT SAYS FEW --- THAT EAT THE RICE, THUS IT DOES NOT ELIMINATE THE RESIDENTS' CONCERNS OVER PROTECTING OTHER MIGARTORY BIRDS.)

D. Without the permit, any farmers shown to have set out poison for the blackbirds would be heavily fined. (DOES NOT ADDRESS THE RESIDENTS' CONCERNS OVER PROTECTING OTHER MIGARTORY BIRDS.)

E. The poison that farmers got approval to use has no taste or smell that would make it detectable by birds. (THIS WOULD RAISE THE RESIDENTS' CONCERNS EVEN MORE.)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 08:51
Syu wrote:
I chose A.

Each year red-winged blackbirds stop in a certain region of Midland Province on their spring and fall migrations. In the fall, they eat a significant portion of the province’s sunflower crop. This year Midland farmers sought permits to set out small amounts of poisoned rice during the blackbirds’ spring stop in order to reduce the fall blackbird population. Some residents voiced concern that the rice could threaten certain species of rare migratory birds. Nevertheless, the wildlife agency approved the permits. Which of the following, if true, most helps to justify the wildlife agency’s approval of the permits, given the concerns voiced by some residents?

A. In the region where the red-winged blackbirds stop, they are the first birds to be present in the spring. (CORRECT -- IF RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS ARE FIRST TO ARRIVE IN THE REGION, THE FARMERS CAN TIME THE USE OF POISONED RICE SO THAT IT CAN BE USED TO POISON THE RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS ONLY. BEFORE OTHER MIGRATORY BIRDS ARRIVE, THE USE OF POSION RICE CAN STOP.)

B. The poison that farmers want to use does not kill birds but rather makes them incapable of producing viable eggs. (THIS WILL THREATEN THE SUSTAINABILITY OF OTHER MIGRATORY BIRDS)

C. Since rice is not raised in Midland Province, few species of birds native to the province normally eat rice. (THIS IMPLIES THAT THERE ARE STILL SOME SPEICIES --- EVEN THOUGH IT SAYS FEW --- THAT EAT THE RICE, THUS IT DOES NOT ELIMINATE THE RESIDENTS' CONCERNS OVER PROTECTING OTHER MIGARTORY BIRDS.)

D. Without the permit, any farmers shown to have set out poison for the blackbirds would be heavily fined. (DOES NOT ADDRESS THE RESIDENTS' CONCERNS OVER PROTECTING OTHER MIGARTORY BIRDS.)

E. The poison that farmers got approval to use has no taste or smell that would make it detectable by birds. (THIS WOULD RAISE THE RESIDENTS' CONCERNS EVEN MORE.)

great explanation..OA is A
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 18:10
Syu -- very nice explanation. Thanks.

Please tell me about urself.

I am taking GMAT on 4th Dec. I am s/w professional, from Singapore.

thanks.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-blackbirds [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 22:42
12345678 wrote:
present in the spring.
would be heavily fined.
it detectable by birds.

These are some nasty CR's you are posting. Take bout 2-2.5min for me to complete.

First time I went through I crossed off all answers, had to go through again.

A was the only choice that remotely suggested that the rare birds would not be hurt. This normally would be a bad choice, but GMAT is about best choice from the answers given...

B: This would still harm the rare birds.
C: Maybe not harm native birds, but doesn't say anything about RARE birds.
D: This is irrelevant. No bearing on how the permits were justified. i.e. we want to know why the rare birds won't be harmed.
E: Irrelevant. Actually this goes against what we are trying to answer. If this were true, then this would not justify the permits.

A: while weak, it does suggest that rare birds probably won't be harmed.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-blackbirds [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 20:04
The answer A is so weak on this one.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-blackbirds [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 08:15
I couldn't come up with any answer for this.. any one can throw some light on it?

Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR-blackbirds [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 00:13
This post received
KUDOS
good post!
A sounds correct.

The catch is no where in the argument it is mentioned that red-winged blackbirds fall under RARE migratory birds category
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR-blackbirds [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 03:32
This post received
KUDOS
Shouldnt there be any consideration to the word "spring" as a season in the option A? I removed it as it never talked about FALL when the destruction if maximum as per the stimulus before the question.

Any takers or explanation.
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-blackbirds [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2008, 16:55
josh_nsit wrote:
Shouldnt there be any consideration to the word "spring" as a season in the option A? I removed it as it never talked about FALL when the destruction if maximum as per the stimulus before the question.

Any takers or explanation.

I did not pay any special attention to Fall/Spring. The problem is whether the rare birds will fall a prey for the poisonous rice. If the BB arrive ahead of every one else, probably they will die and not the rare birds. How ever, it does not tell us whether any rice is left over that can threaten the rare birds. Of all the given options only A gives a chance. Rest of them do not justify
Re: CR-blackbirds   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2008, 16:55