Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 19:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Early Admissions and Rolling Admissions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Early Admissions and Rolling Admissions [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 12:07
Hi,
In one of the recent threads (don't remember which) I heard someone mention of early admissions and the deadline for the same for Fall 2011 applications is August for Columbia.. I am just confused about the whole concept of 'early admissions'.. Is this a special round that goes even before R1? Also which of the top schools do a Rolling admission
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: insurance
WE 2: IT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 7

Re: Early Admissions and Rolling Admissions [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 16:04
This post received
KUDOS
Early Admissions officially called Early Decision/ Early Action rounds are those in which you have to commit to join the school if offered a seat in the program.

Columbia asks you sign a contract saying that you will withdraw from all other schools if offered admission. I think Ross also offers an Early Decision and so does UNC Kenan Flager.

You should apply to early decision if the school is your first preference. I am not sure it increases your changes of admission.

------------------
GIve Kudos, spread the joy and appreciate the help.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Early Admissions and Rolling Admissions [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 19:25
Thanks itsmystery!
But can anyone tell me more about which all top schools have the early admit system in place.. What about HSWB ones?
Manager
Manager
WE 1: insurance
WE 2: IT

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Early Admissions and Rolling Admissions [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 19:43
I am afraid I don't have an authoritative list. I am onloy sure about Columbia & UNC
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 5

Re: Early Admissions and Rolling Admissions [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 23:09
post2pras wrote:
Thanks itsmystery!
But can anyone tell me more about which all top schools have the early admit system in place.. What about HSWB ones?

H/S/W doesn't have an early round process like CBS. If the 'B' refers to Booth, then the answer is no as well.

Tuck & Duke, both offer early rounds as well. Not sure of others!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 339 [1] , given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Early Admissions and Rolling Admissions [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
My take is that Early Decision/Action increases your chance of getting in the school but decreases your chance of getting a scholarship. The schools will tell you that you get treated the same for scholarship consideration. But I don't see the incentive in giving an early admit a scholarship when s/he is bound to go to the school. One of the main goals a scholarship is to retain talent. Feel free to prove me wrong, if anyone is/know of an early admit with a scholarship.

So if you think you can get in the school anyways or are unsure about attending the school, don't apply Early Decision/Action.
Current Student
Schools: UCLA
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Early Admissions and Rolling Admissions [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 10:16
asimov wrote:
My take is that Early Decision/Action increases your chance of getting in the school but decreases your chance of getting a scholarship. The schools will tell you that you get treated the same for scholarship consideration. But I don't see the incentive in giving an early admit a scholarship when s/he is bound to go to the school. One of the main goals a scholarship is to retain talent. Feel free to prove me wrong, if anyone is/know of an early admit with a scholarship.

So if you think you can get in the school anyways or are unsure about attending the school, don't apply Early Decision/Action.

I am curious about this too because I am thinking about applying EA next year...I guess it would make sense to wait until R1 if this is the case b/c I am looking for scholarships.
Re: Early Admissions and Rolling Admissions   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2010, 10:16