Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Early bird needs application advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Early bird needs application advice [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 22:53
Hi,

I have finished my sophomore year at a top-ranked US public school as a double major (Electrical Engineering with Finance) and have a 3.65 GPA. I've been shadowing the forums for a while now and though I still have a while before MBA applications, I felt it's never to early to start working in the right direction - so I'm on here for advice! Again, I'm not looking for a "recipe" on how to get into HBS (dream: to get into the 2+2 program) or any other top program (after working a few years i.e.) - but more of a "you're completely off-track/you're on the right track but doing this or focusing on this would be good" been-there-done-that advice!

So here's my current profile (after two years of college):

GPA: Slightly over 3.65 (average for the engg school is sub-3.0 but I still think it's low for 2+2)
GMAT: Haven't taken it yet - but if it's an indicator of anything, I had a 2290 on the SAT
School: Large, Public (consistently top 2-3 in the US)

Other factoids:

* Interned at a major entertainment company (Fortune 500) last summer in their new technologies department. Did a project on my own and was called back this year. It was a great summer and got a good recommendation letter out of it too!

* Interning at the research lab of a Fortune 500: Top 50 company (technology) this summer.

* Started and currently president of an on-campus business student organization. Club grew from nothing to over 60 members in less than 6 months. Is now a prominent business club on campus.

* Vice-President of an engineering society on campus and treasurer of another one

* Been on two major engineering research teams and contributed significantly. Might get a great recommendation out of one of them! Continuing one of the projects and taking a role as a research assistant on a public economics project this coming year.

* Taking the CFA Level 1 either this December or next summer (I don't know if this affects anything)

* Won a bunch of national olympiads at high school level and am currently learning French as a fourth language. (Again, I don't know if this affects anything)

* Am an international student and spent four years in another country (other than my home country) before coming to the US

* Heavily involved with a community service group for autistic children and we're planning an international community service trip for this December.

Since I'm doing a double major, I will probably take 4.5 years to graduate - so I have two years before I apply for the 2+2 and several more before I apply for regular admissions. I would really appreciate any advice, suggestions, comments - anything, really!

In terms of what I want to do in the future, I am very interested in management consulting and large public enterprises. More than that, I want to do something that makes a difference (but then again, who doesn't!) Thanks for reading this long post and for your comments!

PS: Right now, my focus is HBS 2+2, but other schools I am interested in (after working for a few years) are Stanford, Wharton, Chicago, Kellogg, Duke, UVA. Though this is probably going to change considering I have a few years left!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early bird needs application advice [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 07:03
Expert's post
Hello FacePalmist, thanks for your question.

Sounds like you’re on the right track!

This sounds like a cliché, but just follow your passion and continue to make an impact. I always tell applicants that their competitiveness – assuming their quants are in line – comes down to the quality of their work experience. Applicants need to draw upon “moments” when they truly led: influenced individuals and organizations, drove results, took initiative. To the degree that you can find opportunities to have those experiences, you will be on the right track. Of course, you should be doing this in and out of work (or, for you, academics). Programs love to see well-roundedness , and that your leadership extends to all arenas of your life.

Regarding your post-MBA goals, definitely know what you specifically want out of an MBA (as opposed to general business skills, which a lot of applicants say). Paint a picture that cohesively ties together your past, present, and future. And, demonstrate to the admissions committees that your desired career path necessitates an MBA.

Again, I think you’re on the right track. If you would like further assistance, mbaMission offers a Profile Preparation service for clients who seek 2-year, long term planning for their future applications. No pressure at all! You seem like you’ve got a good path, just offering more if that’s what you’re looking for.

Best of luck!
Brian

Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php