Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 22:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Booth-PT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 20:20
Hey guys, just started reading this forum again after 2 years. I was a silent visitor 2 years back when I took my GMAT (scored 740). Did not apply due to some family issues and planning to apply this year. It clearly seems like I am too old to be accepted (28 years)...lets see...

1) What schools are on your list right now? R1: Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Tuck (May be HBS)

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Just started reading "how to get into top MBA" book. Written something that I could recollect from my old engineering school days

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? Obviously, the ultimate fear that will not get thru anything. I do have some management experience (Project/Team Management etc), but, immediate fear is of not having any community involvement for the application essays. Any suggestions on how not to appear "just in time" if I join something now...

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? Extremely serious. This year in or ......chuk it....

-----------------------------------------
My best friend gave me the best advice

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2008, 08:23
Hi guys!

I applied for Fall 08 to 4 schools - was dinged by 2 (Kellogg, Wharton) ans WListed and then dinged in 3 (Emory, Cornell, Ross). I think it was my lack of WE that hurt me (2 years). Have gathered lots of courage and am re applying again this year!

1) What schools are on your list right now? R1: Emory, Kellogg, LBS (not sure but maybe one or 2 more)

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Am retaking GMAT. Just started preparing again. Do you guys think its a good idea to reapply to the same schools?

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point?
Of not making it again this year. The past 8 months have been absolutely the worst. I can't imagine going through this again.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point?
Extremely serious. HAVE to make it this year
Current Student
Schools: Texas

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 10:30
This is my first post on the forum but I have been reading this site for about 3 months now. It is unbelievable how much insight and perspective I have gotten on B-School by soaking up all I can from posters on this site. Thanks to everyone for making this such a great place.

What schools are on your list right now? HBS, Kellogg, Chicago, Texas, Rice

What is the state of your current preparations? Took the GMAT this spring (scored above 700) and have spent the past couple of months figuring out what I want from my MBA experience and what schools would help me acheive that. Will visit the local schools, Texas and Rice (I live in Texas) in September, and am planning go out to Chicago in August to visit Kellogg and Chicago. Starting to refine my resume, brainstorm essay ideas, select reccomenders, etc.

What's the scariest part of the process at this point? Picking the school that will be the best fit for me. I love living in Texas and would like to take my post MBA job in Houston/Dallas. Does that mean I may be best served by staying local for my MBA (Texas/Rice), incurring less expenses in the process, or doing everything I can to get into an Ultra Elite program (HBS/Kellogg/Chicago)???

How serious is your pursuit at this point? I intend to start my MBA in Fall of 2009 no matter what, which is why I have selected a local schools that I stand a very strong chance of getting into as well as a couple of UEs.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2008, 21:35
I figure it's never too early to start planning for the next application season. If you'll be applying for the Class of 2011, let's hear from you!

1) What schools are on your list right now? UCLA, NYU, HAAS and Emory

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Currently studying for the GMAT. Planning on doing some visits in October

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? realizing how much effort it would take to score my desired 750 on GMAT

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? extremely seriously, currently working for one of the big 4 accounting firms, working like a dog and getting paid nothing
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 07:44
Back after a brief hiatus and diving straight into application season!

1) What schools are on your list right now? Columbia ED, NYU R1, Cornell R1, Darden R2, Kellogg R2.

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Somewhat advanced: I finished with my GMAT back in January and managed a reasonable score. I've let my two recommenders know of my plans and worked out approximate deadlines with them. I'm trying to line up a few people to guide me through the rest of the application process, now. And am starting thinking seriously about what to showcase in my essays.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? Getting a little more comfortable about "tooting my own horn" so to speak, that's considered extremely undesirable in my culture and I'm concerned about being very conservative in playing up my achievements and experiences. I also anticipate my application to suffer significantly in terms on community involvement, so it will be a challenge to effectively stress on other "extracurricular activities" to make up for that.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? Rather serious, although I have no delusions of grandeur and am perfectly willing to try again next year if I do not get in anywhere - and the "zero admits club" thread is testament to that.

Last edited by solaris1 on 23 Jul 2008, 08:11, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 14:43
1) What schools are on your list right now? NYU, Emory, UTA, TAMU, USC

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Preparing to take the GMAT in August. Going to visit schools and complete essays for Rd 1 in Sept-Oct.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? The GMAT so far. One step at a time.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? Extremely. I do not have the luxury of age on my side.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 17:38
1) What schools are on your list right now?
Wharton/Lauder, MIT Sloan, HBS (maybe), Yale SOM, Chicago, Columbia (maybe), Cornell.

Do you guys think these are out of my reach? Brief stats:
GMAT: Pending
GPA: M.Sc. in Geophysics from top 5 Canadian university (3.6 GPA) B.Sc. in Geological Sciences from top international university (3.3 GPA).
WE: 4 in oil exploration
Nationality: Canadian
Extra-curriculars/community: lots during undergrad. busy at work (traveling 100 days a year)

2) What is the state of your current preparations?
Still working on the GMAT. Mentally thinking of the essays.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point?
GMAT. Its almost July 2008 and I still don't feel ready. I am aiming for Sept/Oct. to take it, but I am worried about being tight for time. I think I will have to apply in R2. Should I be weary about R2s?

I am also worried about my age. I just turned 29. So I would be 30 at matriculation! I have 4 years WE and an MSc in Geophysics, but I really am worried about my age - it seems the schools are in competition to recruit a younger crowd.

Also, do you guys feel/think the 2009 pool will be exceptionally large due to the Wall Street job terminations/resignations and general recession? I think there will be an exceptionally large pool of applicants from the financial sector of the economy.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point?
Extremely. I am excited about taking a break from work and going back to school and exploring new ventures.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 13:09
sarzan wrote:

Also, do you guys feel/think the 2009 pool will be exceptionally large due to the Wall Street job terminations/resignations and general recession? I think there will be an exceptionally large pool of applicants from the financial sector of the economy.

That's a damn good issue. I'm surprised nobody else has brought up this point yet. I've been counseling with some of my company's chief executives who obtained mba's 20 years ago, and their consensus has been that there will be more candidates going back to school during a recession. I can't help but think this is one of the reasons I'm applying this year. And the worst part is when everyone is done 2-3 years later, there will be a surplus of mba graduates, fighting for the same jobs.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 03:48
zhenmaster wrote:
And the worst part is when everyone is done 2-3 years later, there will be a surplus of mba graduates, fighting for the same jobs.

I'm not sure about that. Maybe more overall MBA grads if you include University of Phoenix and Strayer, but top B-schools (UE, E) are keeping their class sizes the same. You could say the caliber of the students is definitely going to be higher, so the competition will be higher in terms of quality, not quantity.
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2008, 03:48