Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 03:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2008, 14:10
bsd_lover wrote:
Getting old and haven't really improved my profile much this year after / during all these rejections

Yeah .. first the schools make you spend almost the entire year researching schools, writing apps, advising recommenders and then if you have to reapply, they want you to have significant improvements from the previous year :evil: Anyway, you still have a lot of time with you. All the best for the next year and for this year's WLs. I am rooting for you!
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2008, 10:38
1) What school is on your list right now?
HBS, Wharton, Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Haas, Anderson, Cornell, McCombs and Marshall.

I really can't decide east or west coast. At first I was only looking at east coast schools and visited Columbia and NYU and I visit Wharton and HBS next week. But after talking to some people I realized I really should give the west coast schools a look (along with reading all of Kryzak's advertisements :wink: ). To make matters worse I'm going into real estate and which school I choose will probably determine where I'll live for the forseeable future. I really need to get out and visit the west coast but I'm in the same situation as some others; I won't be able to make it out there before classes end in spring and it seems hard to make it out in the fall before round 1.

2) What is the state of your current preparations?
Studying for a GMAT retake probably in May.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point?
I'm sort of at the point of no return. My background is very non-traditional. I enlisted in the military, served for 5 years then got out, went to school and started working in construction management at the same time as school. So I graduated in '07 but I have been working since '97 and I'll be 29 at matriculation. It's hard becasue I can't compare myself to the traditional canidates and I can't compare myself to the military canidates either.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point?
As serious as I can get. I'll probably add a couple of safety schools to the later rounds because I have to go somewhere next fall.

Last edited by gixxer1000 on 29 Apr 2008, 05:52, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2008, 13:04
gixxer1000 wrote:
1) What school is on your list right now?
HBS, Wharton Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Haas, Berkeley, and Marshall.

I really can't decide east or west coast. At first I was only looking at east coast schools and visited Columbia and NYU and I visit Wharton and HBS next week. But after talking to some people I realized I really should give the west coast schools a look (along with reading all of Kryzak's advertisements :wink: ).

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point?
I'm sort of at the point of no return. My background is very non-traditional. I enlisted in the military, served for 5 years then got out, went to school and started working in construction management at the same time as school. So I graduated in '07 but I have been working since '97 and I'll be 29 at matriculation. It's hard becasue I can't compare myself to the traditional canidates and I can't compare myself to the military canidates either.

Haha, my ads are working! Yay! :o

But for real estate, you DEFINITELY have to check out the west coast, Haas (which is Berkeley, btw :P), Anderson, and Marshall are good at real estate. Marshall could be a good backup school for you.

As for the military background, PM river (I know he loves to get PM-ed :lol: ) and see if he can give you some pointers... maybe river will ask you to click on some "special request access" button to get military advice. hee hee hee :twisted:

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2008, 14:17
1) What schools are on your list right now? UC Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, Maybe one or two school in the East Coast (need to research + visit before deciding)

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Took MGMAT Class & first test, got a 610, so currently studying for the second test. Target to take second test by June. Also will start visiting school and attending school events.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? The fact that there's so many talented people out there to compete with. I did my undergrad from a State U and currently working in Fashion industry as Business Analyst, so not sure what my odds are.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? Very serious. Must become part of class of 2011 within the Ultra-Elite or Elite tier of schools.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2008, 19:50
kryzak wrote:

Haha, my ads are working! Yay! :o

But for real estate, you DEFINITELY have to check out the west coast, Haas (which is Berkeley, btw :P), Anderson, and Marshall are good at real estate. Marshall could be a good backup school for you.

As for the military background, PM river (I know he loves to get PM-ed :lol: ) and see if he can give you some pointers... maybe river will ask you to click on some "special request access" button to get military advice. hee hee hee :twisted:

Woah! I guess I got so caught up in the Haas love and neglected Anderson :oops:. In all seriousness I actually started looking at Anderson and Marshall first because of Marshall's Joint MBA Real Estate Degree which opened up the door for LA which then lead me to the rest of Cali and of course Haas.

The problem is it just seems that the west coast schools (Stanford as an exception) don't get as much love nationally. And I like to move a lot, so I don't want to be restricted to the west coast. But I have to admit after living in Florida for five years, winters are getting very old. Now if only they had a great program in Miami :lol: .
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 00:33
well, first of all, many people who come to California pretty much decide to stay here. I have a friend who lived all over the US, at most for a year in each place (she does nursing), but when she did her stint in Cali, she bought a house and stayed here, now for 5 years and going. She says she's not leaving, haha. :)

But if you go to Haas, you should still be respected nationally. Maybe not at the level of the UEs, but I highly doubt anyone would brush off the Berkeley name, since the parent school is so strong and the business school is quite well respected by peers and recruiters alike (look at the new US News ratings).

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 16:14
kryzak wrote:
well, first of all, many people who come to California pretty much decide to stay here.

And those who are going away from here know that they'll come back in a few years. Nothing comes close to Cali, dude!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 03:16
1) What schools are on your list right now? Georgia State University, Fordham University, Baruch College, Pace University - PT programs

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Currently studying to retake the GMAT (scheduled for June 7th) . Also, enrolled in Fordham's Pre-MBA program to build my quant in case I don't reach my desired score on the GMAT.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? It is always scare, when your desires are contingent on the assessment or decision of others. No one likes rejection, so learning how to sell myself as an exceptional candidate has be an experience

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? Very serious, I am looking to change careers and move in the MIS. I have applications started prepping applications for Spring 2009 for each school. I have letters of recommendations set already, just working on essays, but not too heavy since GMAT is in 2 months.

Last edited by humbled4real on 31 Mar 2008, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 06:19
mNeo wrote:
kryzak wrote:
well, first of all, many people who come to California pretty much decide to stay here.

And those who are going away from here know that they'll come back in a few years. Nothing comes close to Cali, dude!

Well this may sound weird mNeo and kryak but that is actually my fear. My fiancee is itching to get out their and think I'll probably love it as well. Heck, I could get rid of my SUV (gas $$$) and ride my motorcycle year round 8-) . If I go to school on the east coast I know I still want to head out to Cali later, but If I go to Cali now I don't think I will want to actually go and live out on the east coast. I just don't know if I'm ready to settle in one place yet.

But enough with the Dr. Phil talk, I'll pick a couple I fit with and let the admissions officers decide.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 09:35
gixxer,

When avi comes back, you should talk to him about riding the motorcycle around year-round. :)

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 09:01
not sure whether this was answered but when do schools usually post their essay requirements/questions?
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 10:24
terp26 wrote:
not sure whether this was answered but when do schools usually post their essay requirements/questions?

End of summer usually right guys? I'm thinking late July-late August
Current Student
Schools: Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 14:28
Yeah, the email I got from Duke this morning said:

Quote:
As the 2007 - 2008 admission cycle is coming to a close, many of our readers may be turning their attention to the 2008 - 2009 application cycle. While deadlines, essays, and applications have not yet been finalized for the next application year, our admissions officers are beginning to plan for next year's process. Please check our Web site near the end of the summer, approximately in August, for updated application deadlines, essays, and travel calendars.

http://omnemba.blogspot.com

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 15:19
I think HBS/MIT might release essay questions during the first week of July.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 17:03
most schools release it July/August.

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

Current Student
Schools: Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
WE 1: 5

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 19:30
I am going off-topic a bit...
I want to know what sort of a national reputation Duke has!
Current Student

Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 19:34
Omne..just so you know..UCLA website is up and running and you can make appointments for class visits.
Current Student

Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 19:36
Hey bsd,

Good luck with your wait lists. I am rooting for you! May I know your current score?

bsd_lover wrote:
1) What school is on your list right now? Many - Will think about them later

2) What is the state of your current preparations? 6 apps - 4 dings and 2 WLs so far. Will retake the GMAT

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? Getting old and haven't really improved my profile much this year after / during all these rejections

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? More serious than ever.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 08:56
If you want to apply in R1, when is a reasonable time to start telling recommenders of your plans and ask for recommendations? Bonus time here is at the end of August, so I was hoping to wait until immediately after that, giving my recommenders approx. 1 month on the low end (HBS, Kellogg) and 2 months on the high end (Haas) to put together my recs. Is that reasonable, or should they know about them by July/early August?

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 09:06
Look at the 2008 application threads and you'll find that a lot of people had troubles with recommenders. Many of those recommenders need a lot of time to prepare the recommendations at their convenience. You also want them to have enough time to absorb the prep material that you provide them. Moreover, they are busy people .. and they are doing you a favor by taking the time to give you recommendations. So you should be kind to them by giving them enough time. I would say that you should give them more than a month. This is assuming that you are applying to many schools in R1.
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2008, 09:06