Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Early in the development of a new product line, the critical

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

Early in the development of a new product line, the critical [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2011, 03:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:41) correct 38% (01:45) wrong based on 8 sessions
Quote:
Early in the development of a new product line, the critical resource is talent. New marketing ventures require a degree of managerial skill disproportionate to their short-term revenue prospects. Usually, however, talented managers are assigned only to established high-revenue product lines and, as a result, most new marketing ventures fail. Contrary to current practice, the best managers in a company should be assigned to development projects.
Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the author’s argument?
(A) On average, new ventures under the direction of managers at executive level survive no longer than those managed by lower-ranking managers.
(B) For most established companies, the development of new product lines is a relatively small part of the company’s total expenditure.
(C) The more talented a manager is, the less likely he or she is to be interested in undertaking the development of a new product line.
(D) The current revenue and profitability of an established product line can be maintained even if the company’s best managers are assigned elsewhere.
(E) Early short-term revenue prospects of a new product line are usually a good predictor of how successful a product line will ultimately be.

Guys i know the answer so there is no point replying to this Message with
IMO A,B,C,D,E
What i wanna discuss is about how B and C fail to strengthen the argument.

(B) For most established companies, the development of new product lines is a relatively small part of the company’s total expenditure.
Cant this be the reason why Talented managers are not assigned to new development projects.The company does not want to spend much on the new projects and therefore it decides to assign mediocre managers to the new development projects in order to keep the Project cost as low as possible.

(C) The more talented a manager is, the less likely he or she is to be interested in undertaking the development of a new product line.
Cant this be 1 of the reasons for the company not to assign taleneted managers to the new dev. projects
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 12

Re: LSAT Repeated quest [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2011, 03:21
What is the argument? That since more talent is required during development phase, best managers should be assigned to development projects.

C is saying that talented/ best managers are not interested in development projects mostly. How can this strengthen author's argument? In fact it is sort of weakening only - that best managers should NOT be assigned to development projects, since mostly they will not be interested in these projects, and this arguable can affect adversely their perfomance and that of the project.

B says that development projects are a small part of the expenditure. Assuming that best managers will mean more expenditure on development projects, this is contadictory to the author's conclusion, hence it cant strengthen the argument.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

Re: LSAT Repeated quest [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2011, 03:36
vivesomnium wrote:
What is the argument? That since more talent is required during development phase, best managers should be assigned to development projects.

C is saying that talented/ best managers are not interested in development projects mostly. How can this strengthen author's argument? In fact it is sort of weakening only - that best managers should NOT be assigned to development projects, since mostly they will not be interested in these projects, and this arguable can affect adversely their perfomance and that of the project.

B says that development projects are a small part of the expenditure. Assuming that best managers will mean more expenditure on development projects, this is contadictory to the author's conclusion, hence it cant strengthen the argument.

I was saying C reinforces the premise that the current practice is not to assign talented managers to new projects.
Anything that reinforces the premise strengthens the argument, doesnt it ?
I guess you are only looking at the conclusion for both the answer choices.Need Expert opinion to confirm whether 1 can do it your way.

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 6

Re: LSAT Repeated quest [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2011, 04:35
mundasingh123 wrote:
vivesomnium wrote:

I was saying C reinforces the premise that the current practice is not to assign talented managers to new projects.
Anything that reinforces the premise strengthens the argument, doesnt it ?
I guess you are only looking at the conclusion for both the answer choices.Need Expert opinion to confirm whether 1 can do it your way.

First of all mundasingh123 I am not an expert still would like to share my thoughts on this.

I have my apprehensions about your view that "Anything that reinforces the premise strengthens the argument".Here it means actually that reinforcing the premises actually reinforces the arguments's conclusion contrary to your view of looking at it I assume.Because when you want to strengthen an argument you support/strengthen the conclusion by giving additional premises to strengthen it.All the premises contribute towards the conclusion not towards other premises.

So both option B and C are weakening the argument(conclusion per se) as very well explained by vivesomnium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 4

Re: LSAT Repeated quest [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2011, 06:57
D is clearly the winner
now why B and C fail -

(B) For most established companies, the development of new product lines is a relatively small part of the company’s total expenditure. and hence there is no need to assign a experienced manager to it. This weakens the argument

(C) The more talented a manager is, the less likely he or she is to be interested in undertaking the development of a new product line. and hence he will not show much interest in making the product a success. This also weakens the argument.
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 101

Kudos [?]: 222 [1] , given: 20

Re: LSAT Repeated quest [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2011, 14:02
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Mundasingh:

Thanks for the invite to weigh in! This is a fantastic example of why it's so critical to identify the conclusion of an argument before attacking the answer choices - a task that I don't think is typically taught all that well. While the author definitely does talk about talented managers typically NOT being assigned to development projects, his argument is that they SHOULD BE assigned to them. Ultimately, there are three ways to find a conclusion in one of these arguments:

THREE WAYS TO IDENTIFY THE CONCLUSION

1) Conclusion language (such as "therefore", "thus", "in conclusion", "so", etc.)

2) A call for action ("We should", "they must", etc.)

3) The effect of a cause-effect relationship (It is raining, so the parade will be cancelled. The rain causes the cancellation, so "the parade will be cancelled" is the conclusion)

3a) To better exemplify this, try the "Why Test". Facts in these arguments don't have a reason why. Why is it raining? It doesn't say. But it does give a reason "why" the parade will be cancelled - because it's raining. So "the parade will be canceled", because the argument provides a reason why, is a conclusion based upon existing facts.

So...given all that, the conclusion of this argument is "the best managers in a company should be assigned to development projects" - it has a call for action "SHOULD BE", and it passes the why test. Why should they be assigned to those projects? The passage says because "early in projects the critical resource is talent"; because "new ventures require a disproportionate degree of managerial skill"; etc. So the conclusion is "the best managers should be assigned to development projects".

B weakens that, giving a reason that they shouldn't be (it's a small portion of the company's operations).
C weakens that, giving a reason that they shouldn't be (they probably don't want to)
D strengthens it, giving another reason why they should be (we already know that they'll significantly improve the odds of the new project's success; D says that they'll also not really be missed in the regular operations)

I hope that helps - keep in mind that the conclusion is by far the most important part of any of these arguments, so take care in making sure that you identify and embrace it.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: LSAT Repeated quest   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2011, 14:02