Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 21:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 120 [1] , given: 63

Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 23:10
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:21) correct 37% (01:21) wrong based on 142 sessions
Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very polluted. Recently fish populations have recovered as release of industrial pollutants has declined and the lake’s waters have become cleaner. Fears are now being voiced that the planned construction of an oil pipeline across the lake’s bottom might revive pollution and cause the fish population to decline again. However, a technology for
preventing leaks is being installed. Therefore, provided this technology is effective, those fears are groundless.

The argument depends on assuming which of the following?

A. Apart from development related to the pipeline, there will be no new industrial development around the lake that will create renewed pollution in its waters.

B.There is no reason to believe that the leak-preventing technology would be ineffective when installed in the pipeline in Lake Konfa.

C.The bottom of the lake does not contain toxic remnants of earlier pollution that will be stirred into the water by pipeline construction.

D.Damage to the lake’s fish populations would be the only harm that a leak of oil from the pipeline would cause.

E.The species of fish that are present in Lake Konfanow are the same as those that were in the lake before it was affected by pollution.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by nelz007 on 13 Nov 2012, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 364 [2] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 23:23
This post received
KUDOS
nelz007 wrote:
Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very polluted. Recently fish populations have recovered as release of industrial pollutants has declined and the lake’s waters have become cleaner. Fears are now being voiced that the planned construction of an oil pipeline across the lake’s bottom might revive pollution and cause the fish population to decline again. However, a technology for
preventing leaks is being installed. Therefore, provided this technology is effective, those fears are groundless.

The argument depends on assuming which of the following?

A. Apart from development related to the pipeline, there will be no new industrial development around the lake that will create renewed pollution in its waters.

B.There is no reason to believe that the leak-preventing technology would be ineffective when installed in the pipeline in Lake Konfa.

C.The bottom of the lake does not contain toxic remnants of earlier pollution that will be stirred into the water by pipeline construction.

D.Damage to the lake’s fish populations would be the only harm that a leak of oil from the pipeline would cause.

E.The species of fish that are present in Lake Konfanow are the same as those that were in the lake before it was affected by pollution.

argument states that fish will be safe since the leak would be prevented with some technology. However it is assumed that leak is the only threat in construction of pipeline. option C states same assumption.

ans C it is.

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 63

Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 00:08
was stuck between C and D. could you explain D?
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 67

Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 00:14
I also vote for C

was stuck between A and C, but C wins over A as any other construction is out of scope..... the argument is concerned with the pollution arising from the pipeline.

Also, we are not looking for a weakener.

Good question
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 364 [1] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 00:26
This post received
KUDOS
nelz007 wrote:

Sure. D states "Damage to the lake’s fish populations would be the only harm that a leak of oil from the pipeline would cause." But actually nowhere in the argument it is assumed so or mentioned so. leak of oil may pollute water and harm people, birds or animals drinking water from it (if at all).. but do we care? its irrelavant to the argument -which concerns fish population.

Hope it helps!

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 264 [1] , given: 67

Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 00:32
This post received
KUDOS
nelz007 wrote:

Conclusion: Therefore, provided this technology is effective, those fears are groundless.
Now ask question which fear?
Fear from pollution, that will arise from failure of the system, leading to the death of fish.

Remem the argument is not stating death of any organism from the leak of oil except Fish. Well may be it might cause the deah of other speices but is not discussed in the argument. Also if we assume the above fact its not going to validate the conclusion stated in the starting of the explanation.

Assumption is unstated necessary premise which the author takes for granted.

Hence I dont think that d plays any role in validating the conclusion.

Try negating it will have no effecct on the conclusion.
Why I am saying its out of scope because the argument is concerned about:-
1. Pollution from the leak of oil.
2. New safety system incorporated, will be helpful.
3. Population of Fish getting affected.

Hope that helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 03:28
This one can be said to be a proposal passage

making the pipe will not makes the pollution.

prethink for proposal: no bad agent the the process to be happen, or something needed to bridge the gap

in this case, there is not bad agent.

go to answer choices, C look closest. use negation test. It is ok,

I DO NOT READ THE REMAINING CHOICES. (pls, comment on my not reading the reamaining choices. Is it dangerous? )
SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2014, 18:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2014, 18:56