Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 22:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Lake Konfa [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 01:06
+1 for B.

Crick
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Lake Konfa [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 17:35
I go for B after careful reconsideration.

The conclusion should be:
Because the techology of preventing leaking is effective, there is no need to worry about any polution.

However, B provide another consideration may weaken the conclusion. The oil construction itself may cause pollution.

While C, at first glance looks good, but dont you think it kind of deny the premise of the passage. The passage believe the effectiveness of the technology.
Intern
Intern

Re: CR: Lake Konfa [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 17:38
crackHSW wrote:
Why is A opted out , how does one know that industrail development effects are not being taken into consideration here ??

A put industry development, which is not relevant.

The whole passage is talking about Oil construction, technology, pollution. We should find some OA mention something related.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Lake Konfa [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 06:54
Agree with B.

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR: Lake Konfa [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 16:40
Agree with b too! Since it already states that the security system works! Assuming that it will not work here is grasping too far! Why wouldn't it? B is a more plausible explanation for why pollution might accure!

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 15

Re: CR: Lake Konfa [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 18:03
Clearly B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 20

Re: CR: Lake Konfa [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 05:39
patrickwestoo wrote:
Agree with b too! Since it already states that the security system works! Assuming that it will not work here is grasping too far! Why wouldn't it? B is a more plausible explanation for why pollution might accure!

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Are you talking about the first argument posted or the GMATPrep question? If it is the latter one, the correct answer is C.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 05:50
Clearly B
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 13:50
B for me. I used the A.N.T technique and B fit the best. Spent 2:15 on this Q. I knew the answer was B at 1:10 but I reread question stem and answer choices
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Yale, Darden, Haas

Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 11:56
+1B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 16:25
agree with B
Intern
Intern

Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2012, 21:33
I go for B
B is the best when compare with C, B is a more fundamental issue for the problem. When construction itself cause problem, whether leaking preventing technology is effective or not is no longer a main issue
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 02:23
IMO- B,

Premise- "an oil pipeline across the lake’s bottom might revive pollution and cause the fish population to decline" and "a technology for preventing leaks is being installed".
Conclusion-"provided this technology is effective, those fears are groundless."

Hence the Assumption in Option B-"Other than the possibility of a leak, there is no realistic pollution threat posed to the lake by the pipeline’s construction." is correct.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.1
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

Re: CR: Lake Konfa [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 06:38
Minheequang wrote:
Yeah, the same like yours, IMO B

Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very polluted. Recently fish populations have recovered as release of industrial pollutants has declined and the lake waters have become cleaner. Fears are now being voiced that the planned construction of an oil pipeline across the lake’s bottom might revive pollution and cause the fish population to decline again. However, a technology for preventing leaks is being installed. Therefore, provided this technology is effective, those fears are groundless.
The argument depends on assuming which of the following?
A. Apart from development related to the pipeline, there will be no new industrial development around the lake that will create renewed pollution in its waters --> the argument just mentions about the planned construction of a pipeline, not about any other industrial development. The assumption will only prove that the argument has ground to develop, and is too narrow to provide ground for irrelevant fact to develop too
B. Other than the possibility of a leak, there is no realistic pollution threat posed to the lake by the pipeline’s construction --> Using the negating technique, if there is possibility that other threat can pose pollution to the lake, the fact that new techonology will prevent leak can't help completedly demolish the pollution to the lake. Therefore, the fears are still considerable. hence, Pick up this choice
C. There is no reason to believe that the leak-preventing technology would be ineffective when installed in the pipeline in Lake Konfa -->Assuming that this is true, but even when oil leaks to the lake, no facts state that oil-leaking is polluted to the lake. So, this is uncertainty
D. Damage to the lake’s fish populations would be the only harm that a leak of oil from the pipeline would cause --> Negating this choice: leak of oil from the pipeline can cause more than one damage to the lake. So what ??? it does not weaken the argument that the techonology is inffective and that the fears is not groundless. So eliminate this
E. The species of fish that are present in Lake Konfa now are the same as those that were in the lake before it was affected by pollution -->
out of scope

But even if we negate A we will come to the same conclusion as (B). I totally agree that (B) is correct but can someone explain me why (A) is incorrect?

KUDOS if you find it good!!

Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 228

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 09:31
Down to A and B...Can't really choose between the two..Can someone explain?

Kudos please if you find my post useful..

Intern
Intern

Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 06:31
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very polluted. Recently fish populations have recovered as release of industrial pollutants has declined and the lak waters have become cleaner. Fears are now being voiced that the planned construction of an oil pipeline across the lake’s bottom might revive pollution and cause the fish population to decline again. However, a technology for preventing leaks is being installed. Therefore, provided this technology is effective, those fears are groundless.
The argument depends on assuming which of the following?
A. Apart from development related to the pipeline, there will be no new industria development around the lake that will create renewed pollution in its waters.
B. Other than the possibility of a leak, there is no realistic pollution threat posed to the lake by the pipeline’s construction.
C. There is no reason to believe that the leak-preventing technology would be ineffective when installed in the pipeline in Lake Konfa.
D. Damage to the lake’s fish populations would be the only harm that a leak of oil from the pipeline would cause.
E. The species of fish that are present in Lake Konfa now are the same as those that were in the lake before it was affected by pollution.

[Reveal] Spoiler: My Take
My pick is B. I do not have OA. Please post OA if you have.

Responding to a pm: Why is (A) not correct?

What is the argument?
The argument is this: Leaks will be prevented so the oil pipeline will not cause pollution.

The argument focuses on the possible pollution caused by the oil pipeline in future, not any other source. The argument also doesn't say that the Lake will not be polluted through some other source. It narrowly focuses only on the pipeline. Hence (A) is not an assumption. It is out of scope for our argument. The argument only says that oil pipeline will not cause pollution. It doesn't say nothing else will cause pollution.

Hi Karishma,

Thanks for your prompt reply :). I agree that argument talks about"leaks". But the conclusion states that those fears would not hold true if the new technique is good. Now "fears" i suppose refers to the polluted lake and decline in fish population. If we negate (A), it will weaken this conclusion and hence could be a contender for correct answer.
Again, I am not at all challenging (B) is correct. I just want to know how to tackle such questions on actual GMAT within a limited time. :)

Intern
Intern

Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 05:35
So the fear is that the oil pipeline will cause pollution. This is an important point in CR. You have to focus on exactly what the argument is saying. You cannot generalize nor can you use outside information. Think of it as a debate. Say some people are in favor of constructing a new pipeline and some are against. So both sides are putting their points forward. Now if someone says that there could some other new development which causes pollution, that is out of scope of this argument, right? We are only considering whether this pipeline will cause pollution.[/quote]

Thanks a ton. I finally got it!! Excellent explanation by you :)

Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2013, 05:35