Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 06:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 189 [2] , given: 18

Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 19:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (01:55) correct 68% (01:10) wrong based on 193 sessions
Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modern libraries.

(A) while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts like modern libraries

(B) like modern libraries, often served as text repositories, though they were clearly less accessible to outsiders

(C) while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts as does the modern libary

(D) like modern libraries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts

(E) while clearly less accessible to outsiders, acted like modern libraries act by serving as repositories for texts
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by eybrj2 on 14 Jun 2012, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 18

Re: From Kaplan 800 SC 19 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 20:02
(A) while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modern libraries

(C) while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts as does the modern libary

What's the difference between those two?

"like modern libraries" and "like modern libraries" both clearly modify the subject " monaseries.

The explanation in the book says that in C "the modern library" doesn't agree with "monaseries" in number. That's why C is wrong.
However, in Manhattan SC 5th edition, "Law studetns learn to think as a lawyer does" is correct.
I also asked a Manhattan instructor whether "law studetns" and "a lawyer" have to be parallel, and the instructor said they didn't have to.

Now, I am confused which one is correct.

One more thing,

What about "the" before modern library in C?
Is it correct?
The author never mentioned any libraries before "as".
I kind of speculate that this might be the reason why C is incorrect.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: From Kaplan 800 SC 19 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 01:24
This post received
KUDOS
In the question that you posted you forget to insert the comma after the word "texts " . This makes a huge difference !

But anyway this question focuses more on the "meaning" of the sentence .

This is what the original sentence says :
Early medieval monasteries -
(1) Are like modern libraries
(2)Are Clearly less accessible to outsiders and served as repositories for texts

Choice (C) Implies that modern libraries also "served as repositories for texts " - This changes the meaning of the sentence .

You need to see how you can convey the meaning of the sentence in the correct manner.

There's no rule as such which says that you cannot compare a singular noun with a plural noun
for instance - "This apple tastes better than the apples in the basket " .

Hope this is clear.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: From Kaplan 800 SC 19 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 07:47
GeorgePaul, is it a lack of comma in A that makes me think the texts are compared with modern libraries?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: From Kaplan 800 SC 19 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 07:53
Ain't in A modern libraries are compared with texts?

And could someone explain what is wrong with B here..I marked B :S

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

Re: From Kaplan 800 SC 19 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 08:11
This post received
KUDOS
dexerash wrote:

B is wrong because of a wrong placement of a modifier: it implies the outsiders wanted to gain access into text repositories when in fact their main concern was the monastery itself
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: From Kaplan 800 SC 19 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 17:38
librrra wrote:
GeorgePaul, is it a lack of comma in A that makes me think the texts are compared with modern libraries?

Yes that's correct , without the comma the sentence does not make sense.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: From Kaplan 800 SC 19 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 21:19
eybrj2 wrote:
(A) while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modern libraries

"like modern libraries" and "like modern libraries" both clearly modify the subject " monaseries.

The explanation in the book says that in C "the modern library" doesn't agree with "monaseries" in number. That's why C is wrong.
However, in Manhattan SC 5th edition, "Law studetns learn to think as a lawyer does" is correct.
I also asked a Manhattan instructor whether "law studetns" and "a lawyer" have to be parallel, and the instructor said they didn't have to.

One more thing,

Is it correct?

I fail to understand the change in meaning between A and C. Can you please explain more clearly. Thanks
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 307

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: From Kaplan 800 SC 19 [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 07:09
rishi0609 wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

One more thing,

Is it correct?

I fail to understand the change in meaning between A and C. Can you please explain more clearly. Thanks

Could someone elaborate a little bit on A, for me it doesn't make much sense as the OA because of the last part of the sentence which implies an incorrect comparison

Would be nice to hear some more thoughts

Many thanks!
Cheers
J
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: From Kaplan 800 SC 19 [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 12:24
jlgdr wrote:
rishi0609 wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

One more thing,

Is it correct?

Could someone elaborate a little bit on A, for me it doesn't make much sense as the OA because of the last part of the sentence which implies an incorrect comparison

Many thanks!
Cheers
J

Well i will try to help !! A has no comparison error , we are saying that Monaseries are like modern libraries in that they often served as repositories for texts, however , the monaseries were less accessible !!! So A makes perfect sense and "like" is used to compare two nouns.

"B" changes the meaning because they in the last part of the sentence refers to modern libraries which is incorrect because it is meant to refer to Monaseries !! This question is purely testing meaning.

Hope it was a helpful :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 87

Re: Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 07:05
IMO A for the below reasons.

A. seems good, but the last 'like' seems to be pose a little danger. Let's see the others.
B. Wrong. The antecedent to 'they' is not clear at all. It has to refer only to 'Early medieval monasteries'.
C. 'served' and 'does' are not parallel. Wrong.
D. Wrong Meaning.
E. Wrong usage of 'Like'

Cross check the usage of 'Like' in option A again.... (nothing grammatically wrong - Like is used to compare nouns/pronouns)

Hence, option A is the answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 29

Re: Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2014, 22:59
I chose B,only because A seemed to make a wrong comparison towards the end.Should the comma be there before 'like...'or not?
However,B also has misplaced modifier error.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Re: Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 15:16
Can somebody explain why "D" is incorrect ?
Manager
Manager

Re: From Kaplan 800 SC 19 [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 15:19
dexerash wrote:

"they" is not clear in B. Now can you explain why "D" is wrong ?

Btw, I agree that "A" is totally wrong. I dont event know if that is the offical answer. It can't be. A has comparison error.
Manager
Manager

Re: From Kaplan 800 SC 19 [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 15:20
jlgdr wrote:
rishi0609 wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

One more thing,

Is it correct?

Many thanks!
Cheers
J

"A" definitely has a comparison error. Need an expert to chime in here.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 87

Re: From Kaplan 800 SC 19 [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 21:15
This post received
KUDOS
infotalk wrote:

I am not an expert, but I am just giving my opinion.

Let us understand the intended meaning of the sentence. The sentence is saying the below.

1. Early medieval monasteries are less accessible to outsiders. (modern libraries are well accessible to outsiders.)
2. Early medieval monasteries, like modern libraries, often served as repositories of texts.

Let's take a look at the options.

B. Wrong. The antecedent to 'they' is not clear at all. It has to refer only to 'Early medieval monasteries'. It is not clear whether 'they' is referring to 'text repositories', 'libraries','monasteries' or both 'libraries and monasteries'.
D. Wrong Meaning. This option shows that even libraries are not accessible to outsiders.
E. Wrong usage of 'Like'

Option A correctly compares 'monasteries' and 'libraries, and applies 'less accessible to outsiders' only to early medieval monasteries.

Also, the post has a small typo in option A listed in the answer options. There is a comma before 'like modern libraries' in option A.

Option A is the best among the answer choices. The other options are grammatically incorrect.

A has a correct comparison. Please explain why do you think A has a wrong comparison.

----------------------------------------------
Press +1 Kudos if this helped you.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 02:27
Quote:
" A" definitely has a comparison error. Need an expert to chime in here.

As a general rule, the first option for any Sentence Correction is always the same the underlined portion in the original question. The problem with option A arises because it's a typo where a comma is missing. But if you look at the original question, you will readily understand that it's an error.

Hence the correct answer is A.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 307

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: From Kaplan 800 SC 19 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 09:37
gmatter0913 wrote:
infotalk wrote:

I am not an expert, but I am just giving my opinion.

Let us understand the intended meaning of the sentence. The sentence is saying the below.

1. Early medieval monasteries are less accessible to outsiders. (modern libraries are well accessible to outsiders.)
2. Early medieval monasteries, like modern libraries, often served as repositories of texts.

Let's take a look at the options.

B. Wrong. The antecedent to 'they' is not clear at all. It has to refer only to 'Early medieval monasteries'. It is not clear whether 'they' is referring to 'text repositories', 'libraries','monasteries' or both 'libraries and monasteries'.
D. Wrong Meaning. This option shows that even libraries are not accessible to outsiders.
E. Wrong usage of 'Like'

Option A correctly compares 'monasteries' and 'libraries, and applies 'less accessible to outsiders' only to early medieval monasteries.

Also, the post has a small typo in option A listed in the answer options. There is a comma before 'like modern libraries' in option A.

Option A is the best among the answer choices. The other options are grammatically incorrect.

A has a correct comparison. Please explain why do you think A has a wrong comparison.

----------------------------------------------
Press +1 Kudos if this helped you.

Well if there's a comma missing then that explains it all. A stands

Could someone please add a comma on answer choice A? Would really appreciate it

Thanks!
Cheers!
J :)
Re: From Kaplan 800 SC 19   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2014, 09:37