Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

early questions are not worth more than the rest

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

early questions are not worth more than the rest [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 22:59
Hi, I browsed through Manhattan's GMAT Uncovered Book and it says that its a myth that early questions matter more than the rest. Has the algo for score calculation been updated or that was always a myth.
2nd point- Are all questions worth the same provided you finish the test in time?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: early questions are not worth more than the rest [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 01:35
Does anyone know the answer?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 18

Re: early questions are not worth more than the rest [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
shantanusingh wrote:
Hi, I browsed through Manhattan's GMAT Uncovered Book and it says that its a myth that early questions matter more than the rest. Has the algo for score calculation been updated or that was always a myth.
2nd point- Are all questions worth the same provided you finish the test in time?

Yes indeed, it is a myth. All the questions have equal importance. More careless mistakes in the beginning will not help you assess your true potential, so the point is never lose a question which you could have got right. It doesn't mean that you should be spending extra time for those first few problems, instead improve on reducing the careless mistakes and spend an average of 2 mins for a single problem. The less careless mistakes, the sooner you reach your maximum level questions. Don't try to assess how hard the question is, since it is an adaptive algorithm you might not know what level questions are being thrown to you.

KUDOS - if my post has helped you.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 85

Re: early questions are not worth more than the rest [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 11:19
msvel2304 wrote:
shantanusingh wrote:

Yes indeed, it is a myth. All the questions have equal importance. More careless mistakes in the beginning will not help you assess your true potential, so the point is never lose a question which you could have got right. It doesn't mean that you should be spending extra time for those first few problems, instead improve on reducing the careless mistakes and spend an average of 2 mins for a single problem. The less careless mistakes, the sooner you reach your maximum level questions. Don't try to assess how hard the question is, since it is an adaptive algorithm you might not know what level questions are being thrown to you.

So it's actually about how soon you can reach (say) 700+ level questions and how many of them can you answer correctly, instead of the test trying to zero in on your level?

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: early questions are not worth more than the rest [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 11:51
I took the Knewton courses, and in one of their earlier lectures they talk about this. The founder said that in the PAST, the algorithm used placed a lot of weight on the earlier questions, and a lot of people figured this out. Some students would increase their score +100 pts by taking advantage of this. The makers later on changed the algorithm so that test takers would be severely penalized if they did not finish the exam. So the suggested strategy was to spend an extra few seconds on the first 10 questions if need be.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 85

Re: early questions are not worth more than the rest [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 11:57
chris558 wrote:
I took the Knewton courses, and in one of their earlier lectures they talk about this. The founder said that in the PAST, the algorithm used placed a lot of weight on the earlier questions, and a lot of people figured this out. Some students would increase their score +100 pts by taking advantage of this. The makers later on changed the algorithm so that test takers would be severely penalized if they did not finish the exam. So the suggested strategy was to spend an extra few seconds on the first 10 questions if need be.

Last year's Princeton Review's "Cracking the GMAT" said the same thing, and it is undeniable that it seems to be common knowledge that your score swings more during the first 10/15 questions of every section.

Now, is that still true? is the new algorithm so different?

I'm actually confused right now.

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: early questions are not worth more than the rest [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 22:16
highdiving wrote:
So it's actually about how soon you can reach (say) 700+ level questions and how many of them can you answer correctly, instead of the test trying to zero in on your level?

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say. But don't waste time gauging the question difficulty, its a complete waste of time. A 600 level scorer will take more time to reach that 700 solve because of difficulty and careless mistakes, while 700 level test taker will be able to move quickly to that level and also stay on that level for a long time. All the GMAT questions can be solved, but what you do in stipulated time determines your score. If you spend more time to increase your actual capability, then once you reach that level it takes half the time to reach the level where you started because you cannot keep on spending more time for every problem and for every additional minute or seconds you spent initially to improve your level, you have much less time for each of the latter problems. So the key is to get good at content knowledge, know your strengths and weakness, guess where you need to and where don't need to and reduce careless mistakes.

KUDOS - if my post has helped you.

Intern
Intern

Re: early questions are not worth more than the rest [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 22:42
I'm actually confused right now.[/quote]

And so am I. Any experts there to clarify this ?
Re: early questions are not worth more than the rest   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2012, 22:42