Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Earning an MBA degree From the Same School as Bach. Degree

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Notre Dame, Emory, BYU
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Earning an MBA degree From the Same School as Bach. Degree [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 09:27
I have been accepted to the BYU MBA program which is the same school where I earned my undergraduate degree. I have also been accepted to Emory where the cost difference will be about $30,000 - $40,000 over the course of two years. What are everyone's thoughts on attending the same school where you get your bachelor's degree as opposed to diversifying and going to a different school? If cost wasn't an issue, it would be a no brainer, but it is an issue in this case. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2134

Kudos [?]: 7290 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Earning an MBA degree From the Same School as Bach. Degree [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 20:54
Expert's post
Hm... how much work experience do you have? (How much of a break between the two schools?)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Earning an MBA degree From the Same School as Bach. Degree [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 06:11
bb wrote:
Hm... how much work experience do you have? (How much of a break between the two schools?)

3 years. My undergrad degree is in Biology.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [1] , given: 17

Re: Earning an MBA degree From the Same School as Bach. Degree [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
I wouldn't worry too much about it if the school's MBA program offers what you're looking for in terms of academics and career. There are a bunch of Northwestern undergrad alumni here at Kellogg and their experience seems to be pretty consistent with people who came from different undergrad schools.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earning an MBA degree From the Same School as Bach. Degree [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 22:31
Like Jerz, I wouldn't worry either.

Especially if the cost difference will be about $30,000 - $40,000 as you said and if you are indifferent to the rest of the factors, affecting the decision.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

When you give kudos, you do not lose your previously earned kudos, you rather contribute to the forum's culture of appreciation.

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earning an MBA degree From the Same School as Bach. Degree [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 03:24
Nice thread. Actually can someone explain the rationale why, in general, people advise against getting your MBA from the same school you went for undergrad?

Is it mainly if you were a business major in undergrad, you'd want to get some education from a different perspective?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earning an MBA degree From the Same School as Bach. Degree [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 07:40
jko wrote:
Nice thread. Actually can someone explain the rationale why, in general, people advise against getting your MBA from the same school you went for undergrad?

Is it mainly if you were a business major in undergrad, you'd want to get some education from a different perspective?

I have asked this question relentlessly, knowing that I would not return to my alma mater for Bschool, but in all honesty it isn't because anyone frowns on degrees earned from the same school, because no one would look down on someone who went from a ivy league to the same ivy league for bschool, and the same would be true for large public schools, I think that once you obtain the degree from the school of your desire, as it relates to your fit/scores/goals people will forget or not really harp over a degree from the same school. Since you took a 3 year break, I don't see any reason to believe that anyone would look down on 2 degrees same school. You didn't do them back to back, and you were accepted on merit, scores and WE. I think you should save the money if you are happy with the fit, that's IMO, whatever makes you happy. :) Good luck congrats on the tough decision :)

Back to the grind, goal 700+

Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earning an MBA degree From the Same School as Bach. Degree [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 07:44
Also, rereading your post I notice you went from Biology to GMAT, to acceptance, I think your diversity is an excellent mix for bschool, I myself was a Bio Major and am also looking for top bschools, I think that if perhaps some felt there would be preconceived notions from undergrad business majors to MBA candidates, maybe there would be a discrepancy in how people view a degree from the same school, but since your background isn't undergrad business, I think it's safe to say that much of the material covered in bschool will be very different than your Ochem, biochem, A&P as an undergrad etc :) You are an untainted bschool candidate, everything presented to you at a graduate level is fresh, no one will think differently of 2 degrees from the same school.

Back to the grind, goal 700+

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Earning an MBA degree From the Same School as Bach. Degree [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 09:55
Interesting question. I am also looking at a school (just to apply to this year) where I went to undergrad. the only reason I would not want to go is just for me personally wanting to do and see something different. but I do think that the undergrad and mba are totally different and if the mba is the right place for you then you shoudl go. i do not think it hurts you in any way in terms of your resume or employment prospects.

I have never heard of anyone advising against going to same school so am interested in hearing more. why would it be a problem?
Intern
Intern

Re: Earning an MBA degree From the Same School as Bach. Degree [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 18:04
Great input all...having options is great, but making life changing decisions is super stressful. The good news is that you can't go wrong either way.
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earning an MBA degree From the Same School as Bach. Degree [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 21:04
yeah there's nothing wrong with that. heck, i'm probably going to do back for grad school where i went for undergrad.

Re: Earning an MBA degree From the Same School as Bach. Degree   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2011, 21:04