Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Nov 2014, 04:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Easier for foreigner from small country get into top-tier?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Easier for foreigner from small country get into top-tier? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 10:55
Hey,

Im a norwegian citizen with a MSc in Political Economy from an ok university in Norway (top 65 european business schools). I would, as many, like to do the ultimate test of getting into a top-tier business school in the US. I do however only bring good grades (not great, like in the 5 %), with an average that could be compared to somewhere around 3,2-3,4 if I have understood the american grading system correctly.

Yet, it has struck me that the top business schools tend to include students with lower grades and also with GMAT scores all the way down to 600 (incl Harvard, Stanford and Wharton)! At the same time, most universities market themselves as highly international with X various nationalities. Is it then so that some of these students having lower than average grades (GPA or GMAT) are foreigners the universities accept to create a greater diversity among the candidates - or something in that direction? Is it so that, if there are no other, or poor norwegians (or scandinavias for that matter) applying for these universities, might the threshold for me being accepted be lower for say an american citizen?

Cheers!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Re: Easier for foreigner from small country get into top-tier? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 11:34
Low GPA and/or GMAT for top tier, and especially for HBS, are almost always offset by being a superstar on some other part of the application. Also, I don't think the allowances for lower GPA/GMAT acceptances are isolated by Geography. Adcoms don't breakdown the acceptances by:

HiGPAandGMAT/USA
HiGPAorGMAT/USA
LoGPAandGMAT/USA

HiGPAandGMAT/Europe
HiGPAorGMAT/Europe
LoGPAandGMAT/Europe

HiGPAandGMAT/Asia
HiGPAorGMAT/Asia
LoGPAandGMAT/Asia

If you are a LoGPAandGMAT candidate, you are probably competing with applicants from all regions. I don't see the need to place applicants in buckets like this.

Last edited by jontron on 24 Jan 2013, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 456

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Easier for foreigner from small country get into top-tier? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 11:38
keeping other factors constant (which you never can) a candidate from an under-represented pool might have an easier pass. Schools want to play their diversity card and bring in people with a wide variety of life/work experiences.
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 167

Premium Member
Re: Easier for foreigner from small country get into top-tier? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 12:08
MABE wrote:
Is it then so that some of these students having lower than average grades (GPA or GMAT) are foreigners the universities accept to create a greater diversity among the candidates - or something in that direction? Is it so that, if there are no other, or poor norwegians (or scandinavias for that matter) applying for these universities, might the threshold for me being accepted be lower for say an american citizen?

Generally speaking, having a stellar profile and career achievements will off set a low GPA or GMAT. If being from an underrepresented country is what makes you "unique" then it's probably not going to be good enough. While schools like to have a diverse class, and nationality is definitely one of the categories, they won't sacrafice quality and standards just to have the token guy from country X attend.

Keep in mind, Bschools want to admit people who will contribute to the community, thrive in the classroom, and be attractive to recruiters. Simply being Norwegian doesn't tell the adcom if you can do these things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: Easier for foreigner from small country get into top-tier? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 12:38
Thanks for the respons, everyone.

"Generally speaking, having a stellar profile and career achievements will off set a low GPA or GMAT." --> What if i already have made it to financial news channels as expert commentator on international financial markets (representing my international news bureau in the biggest private news channel in Norway) and co-founded a startup operating from Nice, France together with a french investor and already few months after launch being nominated "best startup in the Nordics 2012"?

Moreover, is the GPA based on the last education, or everything altogether? It may sound strange, but my grades on the masters (Norwegian B-average - which according to unis like LSE is acceptable for entry requirements) are higher than on the bachelor..
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [1] , given: 167

Premium Member
Re: Easier for foreigner from small country get into top-tier? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 15:28
This post received
KUDOS
MABE wrote:

"Generally speaking, having a stellar profile and career achievements will off set a low GPA or GMAT." --> What if i already have made it to financial news channels as expert commentator on international financial markets (representing my international news bureau in the biggest private news channel in Norway) and co-founded a startup operating from Nice, France together with a french investor and already few months after launch being nominated "best startup in the Nordics 2012"?

Now that's pretty cool and something you could write about in your essays! See how your nationality is fairly irrelevant in this achievement?

MABE wrote:
Moreover, is the GPA based on the last education, or everything altogether? It may sound strange, but my grades on the masters (Norwegian B-average - which according to unis like LSE is acceptable for entry requirements) are higher than on the bachelor..

MBA programs focus on your undergraduate GPA because:

1) Everybody has a Bachelors
2) That's the metric that is reported for the class profile, rankings, etc.

Having a masters is another data point and usually can't hurt, but most schools won't ignore your undergrad GPA for having a good grad GPA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Easier for foreigner from small country get into top-tier? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 15:35
This post received
KUDOS
Admissions people tend to read for a geographic area--for example, focusing in on Latin American or South East Asian candidates. My guess is that your profile will be reviewed by someone in charge of Europe and you'll be compared to your European peers based on GMAT, GPA, etc. Being Norwegian may help a teeny tiny bit, but I'm guessing that they got a bunch of European applicants and if it comes down to the French dude with a 750 from La Sorbonne and a Norwegian from a mid-tier school with a so-so GMAT, they're going to still go with the French dude. The actual major advantage you probably have is that your English reads really natural, which is not going to be the case of every other European.

Have you taken the GMAT yet by the way? It's an American test, so I'm sure it'll be easy for you! :)

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 215

Re: Easier for foreigner from small country get into top-tier? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 16:34
Norwegian, nah! Faroese, now we're talking about diversity.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: Easier for foreigner from small country get into top-tier? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 02:54
machichi wrote:
Admissions people tend to read for a geographic area--for example, focusing in on Latin American or South East Asian candidates. My guess is that your profile will be reviewed by someone in charge of Europe and you'll be compared to your European peers based on GMAT, GPA, etc. Being Norwegian may help a teeny tiny bit, but I'm guessing that they got a bunch of European applicants and if it comes down to the French dude with a 750 from La Sorbonne and a Norwegian from a mid-tier school with a so-so GMAT, they're going to still go with the French dude. The actual major advantage you probably have is that your English reads really natural, which is not going to be the case of every other European.

Have you taken the GMAT yet by the way? It's an American test, so I'm sure it'll be easy for you! :)

:) La Sorbonne is actually a very average university in France vs. the top Engineering Schools (Polytechnique, Centrale, Mines, ...), top Business Schools (HEC, ESSEC, ESCP, ...)and other Grandes Ecoles (Sciences Po, ENS, Paris-Dauphine, ...)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Easier for foreigner from small country get into top-tier? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 23:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hi MABE,
Yes, I think it gives you some advantage, when you are European (especially from a small country) applying to US schools, since US schools always strive to be more international and diversify the class. You can also see here http://www.aringo.com/MBA_admission_cha ... ulator.htm that if you are "European applying to American program" it slightly increases your admission chances.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 6

Re: Easier for foreigner from small country get into top-tier? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 02:33
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with others - being from an under-represented country can give you an edge only if all else is equal. I am from Estonia and I have received both admits and dings from top-tier schools. I had a very good profile, not stellar though. So I don't think there was any correlation between the country of origin and acceptance.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Easier for foreigner from small country get into top-tier? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 16:50
Just be aware that when applying to top American programs, that admissions expects GMAT and TEOFL scores from candidates from Scandinavia and Benelux to be very high. As for geographic diversity, I have noticed that candidates from developed countries like Norway are scrutinized to a higher level than are candidates from less developed countries. So, I would not bet my application on being from Norway as providing much to the diversity of the school.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Easier for foreigner from small country get into top-tier?   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2013, 16:50