Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Easiest workload? Top 25 Business Schools

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: Consortium
Joined: 26 Jan 2011
Posts: 209
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 37

Easiest workload? Top 25 Business Schools [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 15:48
I don't mean to seem lazy BUT I was wondering if any of you have any input towards which programs have slightly lighter workloads while in school? I'm not particularly interested in schools that require 70+ hours of work per week like Darden for example.

If this was already covered in another post please kindly point me in the right direction. :)

Also, my target schools as of now are Stern, Anderson, & Marshall (and Howard as an extreme safety) so if you have any info regarding workload/ social life balance of those programs please inform.

THANK YOU!
_________________

It's better to be lucky than to be good.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Easiest workload? Top 25 Business Schools [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 17:07
you could just not go to school and save the 100K in debt. sorry not trynna be mean, just sayin
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Easiest workload? Top 25 Business Schools [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 20:25
Matador1985 wrote:
you could just not go to school and save the 100K in debt. sorry not trynna be mean, just sayin


I should probably put it in context by saying that most top schools are a ton of work. so I wouldn't look at it from that perspective. But at the same time you'll have a time of your life. You'll get what you put into it.. That's the point I was trying to make.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: Consortium
Joined: 26 Jan 2011
Posts: 209
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 37

Re: Easiest workload? Top 25 Business Schools [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 08:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
Matador1985 wrote:
Matador1985 wrote:
you could just not go to school and save the 100K in debt. sorry not trynna be mean, just sayin


I should probably put it in context by saying that most top schools are a ton of work. so I wouldn't look at it from that perspective. But at the same time you'll have a time of your life. You'll get what you put into it.. That's the point I was trying to make.


you said "MOST top schools are a ton of work."...implying there may be one or two that are NOT a ton of work...?
_________________

It's better to be lucky than to be good.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Posts: 138
Schools: Michigan Ross Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Easiest workload? Top 25 Business Schools [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 10:16
With the possible exception of Darden, I haven't heard about a big discrepancy in the workload at the top schools. Slight differences would be practically impossible to measure, especially since there are going to be elective options that require different levels of work within the same program. I can appreciate not wanting to choose a school with a significantly bigger workload than average, but I kind of agree with matador that I wouldn't make a $100k decision over that alone when the differences aren't huge and there are so many other factors that determine fit.

Overall, it seems like every program has plenty of time for socializing (especially if you don't have a significant other or other obligations outside of school). The people I know from Anderson who were completely swamped were the ones who took on a ton of leadership in clubs and organizations. Even they managed to pack in a bunch of social stuff. Those that mostly just went to class and did recruiting seemed to have a good amount of free time on their hands. I had a roommate who was at Marshall as well and would say the same about that program. The degree to which academics are challenging for you in general, and how important you think grades are will also play a huge role, of course.

There's some discussion about how busy b-school is here: so-how-busy-will-i-be-at-b-school-107482.html?hilit=how%20busy
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Yeah well whatever.
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 347
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 17

Re: Easiest workload? Top 25 Business Schools [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 08:39
tortoiserun wrote:
With the possible exception of Darden, I haven't heard about a big discrepancy in the workload at the top schools. Slight differences would be practically impossible to measure, especially since there are going to be elective options that require different levels of work within the same program. I can appreciate not wanting to choose a school with a significantly bigger workload than average, but I kind of agree with matador that I wouldn't make a $100k decision over that alone when the differences aren't huge and there are so many other factors that determine fit.

Overall, it seems like every program has plenty of time for socializing (especially if you don't have a significant other or other obligations outside of school). The people I know from Anderson who were completely swamped were the ones who took on a ton of leadership in clubs and organizations. Even they managed to pack in a bunch of social stuff. Those that mostly just went to class and did recruiting seemed to have a good amount of free time on their hands. I had a roommate who was at Marshall as well and would say the same about that program. The degree to which academics are challenging for you in general, and how important you think grades are will also play a huge role, of course.

There's some discussion about how busy b-school is here: so-how-busy-will-i-be-at-b-school-107482.html?hilit=how%20busy


Is Darden that much more work than other places? I talked to a SY at Darden and he said that he thinks it's more the same as any other b-school but just goes along with the general perception because it benefits him.
_________________

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Re: Easiest workload? Top 25 Business Schools   [#permalink] 23 May 2011, 08:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic Top 25 school vs. Top 10 school TheFloridian 8 18 Sep 2014, 15:24
1 Top 3 Business Schools dreambigmba2011 5 16 Dec 2010, 14:57
Experts publish their posts in the topic List of Top 50 Business Schools smartguy 14 03 Jan 2009, 19:28
Shocked by top 25 school!!!! nupurgupt 20 31 Jul 2007, 13:45
Top School vs Workload GMATcram 16 16 Feb 2007, 22:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Easiest workload? Top 25 Business Schools

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: threestripes



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.