Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 21:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Eating beets significantly lowers the risk of cancer,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Eating beets significantly lowers the risk of cancer, [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 10:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (01:54) correct 25% (01:12) wrong based on 31 sessions
Eating beets significantly lowers the risk of cancer, according to an article in a nutritional magazine. The article refers to a study that found that people who consumed one or more beets per day were half as likely to be diagnosed with the disease as people who did not.
Which of the following, if true, most weakens the argument in the magazine article?
A) Another study found that people who consumed one tablespoon of flax seed oil per day were more than four times less likely to be diagnosed with cancer as those who did not.
B) Participants in the study reported consuming no vegetables other than beets.
C) The study was only conducted in one city.
D) In another experiment, cancer patients who ate one or more beets per day were no more likely to recover than those who ate no beets.
E) The participants in the study who ate beets were more likely to exercise regularly than those who did not eat beets.

I doubt OA .How can it be E. It seems to be out of scope of the CR . Is exercising regularly related in anyway to the proper diagnosis of cancer .There is no such evidence .Guys pls put in your expert comments.Also what is wrong with A.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

target:-810 out of 800!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 20

Re: cancerous CR! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 11:06
E.

A does not provide any information or data of people eating beets. If A instead would have said that 'it was found that participants in the SAME STUDY were eating flax seeds and flax seeds is known to reduce cancer... etc..' than probably A would have been a candidate.
But saying another study shows the result.. doesnt help.

E clearly says that participants of the same study were more likely to exercise regularly, which weakens the author conclusion that beets reduces the cancer... instead it is the exercising habits of people.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: cancerous CR! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 00:29
My choice was C, because you can say that the problem is with the scope of the study. E is similar in this way, but stating that cancer is related to exercise is ridiculous!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: cancerous CR! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 01:00
AnkitK wrote:
Eating beets significantly lowers the risk of cancer, according to an article in a nutritional magazine. The article refers to a study that found that people who consumed one or more beets per day were half as likely to be diagnosed with the disease as people who did not.
Which of the following, if true, most weakens the argument in the magazine article?
A) Another study found that people who consumed one tablespoon of flax seed oil per day were more than four times less likely to be diagnosed with cancer as those who did not.
B) Participants in the study reported consuming no vegetables other than beets.
C) The study was only conducted in one city.
D) In another experiment, cancer patients who ate one or more beets per day were no more likely to recover than those who ate no beets.
E) The participants in the study who ate beets were more likely to exercise regularly than those who did not eat beets.

I doubt OA .How can it be E. It seems to be out of scope of the CR . Is exercising regularly related in anyway to the proper diagnosis of cancer .There is no such evidence .Guys pls put in your expert comments.Also what is wrong with A.

Through elimination, I came to E.

A. Another study & flax seed oil is no way related to our conclusion.
B. This would rather strengthen as it would cancel other possibilities.
C. Experiments will always be conducted on a sample.
D. It is out of scope as it is talking about people who already have cancer.
E. May be eating beets leads the person to do move exercise and it in turn protects someone from cancer. Only option left after elimination the above four options.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Schulich, Rotman '15
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 9

Re: cancerous CR! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 06:25
NOT A) Another study found that people who consumed one tablespoon of flax seed oil per day were more than four times less likely to be diagnosed with cancer as those who did not.

Because the argument is that those who eat beets are less likely to get cancer, the fact that they consume flax seed oil and their even less likely to get cancer does not necessarily weaken the argument that those who eat beets are less likely to get cancer than those who don't. That's why A is out of the scope. As for E, it states that those who eat beets exercise more regularly. Stats show that eating beets means less cancer, but if everyone of those individuals who eat beets are also exercising regularly than who is to say it's not the beets keeping cancer away but the exercise. Hope this helps!

“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” - Greg Anderson

Follow my Journey at: nphelan-s-road-to-117533.html

Kudos? Don't mind if I do!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Schulich, Rotman '15
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 9

Re: cancerous CR! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 06:29
also @Gmatquencher. Very valid point, but then again saying that beets are related to cancer is ridiculous as well. What we have to try and remember here is that this is a survey that uses statistics, in no way shape or form does this problem represent the fact that scientists have examined the effects of beets on a patient. nor have they examined the effects of exercise, it is at its most basic form, just trying to weaken whether Action A (eating beets) prevents cancer or if they introduce Action B (exercise) then there is no validity that Action A is the Action the prevents cancer, this doesn't rule it out completely, but it does Weaken the argument and thats what we're looking for.

“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” - Greg Anderson

Follow my Journey at: nphelan-s-road-to-117533.html

Kudos? Don't mind if I do!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 20

Re: Eating beets significantly lowers the risk of cancer, [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 06:31
I am for C.

For strengthen/weaken question types, we have to limit our focus to the given argument only; we can't bring outside info.

We don't know how ridiculous agreeing that eating beats lowers cancer risk; neither is the case with doing exercise. As the question asks us to weaken given argument, we need to look into the other parameters that are available in the given argument. With this background I would go for C.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Eating beets significantly lowers the risk of cancer, [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 21:48
In certain way, you are right. E doesn't seem very strong, but by POE is the best.

The key here is that choice E tells us that there are other differences between the two groups, in addition to the consumption of beets. So therre could be other possible causes.

Hope it helps.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Eating beets significantly lowers the risk of cancer, [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 06:24
E should be the best by POE.

If the participants do more exercice more often, than it can not concluded that only one factor is relevant for the conclusion
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Eating beets significantly lowers the risk of cancer, [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 08:21
C is wrong because who says in this world that data collected from one city can't represent an overall scenario... i mean may be small local firms will get the data from only the city where they are operating.
E is the rt answer.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Re: Eating beets significantly lowers the risk of cancer,   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2012, 08:21