Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Eating healthy while applying to B-School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 19

Eating healthy while applying to B-School [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 16:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

I took a quick look through the forum and couldn't find any topics related to this. If there is one, please do feel free to guide me in that direction.

I started studying for the GMAT last month and I can already tell that it's becoming more difficult to maintain the motivation to fit cooking into my schedule. I'm sure this will be the case while I'm putting together applications and writing essays as well.

Does anybody have any time efficient tips on how to eat healthy while studying for the GMAT and applying for B-School? Thanks :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 478 [1] , given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Eating healthy while applying to B-School [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 17:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Interesting question! I'm actually preparing a post on a related topic; I plan to finish soon. Mine deals with snacks to bring with you to the test center, as well as other simple things to help maintain energy levels for the test.

For me, I ate well throughout my GMAT studies. Protein shakes, almonds, steel-cut oatmeal, eggs, and bananas - among other foods - were part of my diet. Most of these items are ready to eat, taste good, and nutritious.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: Eating healthy while applying to B-School [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 21:23
Thank you, this was exactly the motivation I needed! I thankfully read this right before going to the grocery store, so I now have eggs, whole wheat bread, bananas, some assorted fruit, and a red pepper in my apartment :-D Now, of course, comes the hard part...staying on track...

I do look forward to reading about your suggested snacks for exam day as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Eating healthy while applying to B-School [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 10:12
Well for me even though I have less time now then I ever did, I am forcing myself to go to the gym and take that twice weekly yoga class (so relaxing and so worth it) :-D Just going to the gym makes me not want to eat crap anymore, why waste all my effort? Plus I feel good so am less likely to binge in unhealthy food to make myself feel better. And having things to do after work has made me cut back on the happy hours with friends 2x a week or going out to eat, because hey I'm sorry I love you guys but this is important to me and I just can't go out as much right now. Plus less beer is definately helping

To make sure I eat well and don't grab fast food out of convenience I only buy things that are easily assembled and go well together, which consistis mostly of salad and sandwich ingredients. Plus I buy the good stuff, I figure I'm saving money by eating at home anyway I might as well spring for the fresh mozzarella and basil or avocado so I look forward to eating at home. I'll hardboil a dozen eggs and bake a few chicken breasts while sitting down to study, and it lasts me all week. I put everything in a bowl or on whole grain bread and I'm good, or I'll boil some pasta and throw some veggies in it.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 26

Reviews Badge
Re: Eating healthy while applying to B-School [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 10:55
I love eating healthy :)

I didn't like the way I looked or felt after I finished my banking stint, so I made a drastic change and began eating much healthier. I haven't been sick since!

I cook every Sunday afternoon for the week.. sure it takes away from GMAT study time, but I decided that I won't compromise my health for anything.

I also do heavy strength training three times a week.

I plan to maintain this lifestyle in b-school and beyond as well. 8-)
Current Student
Schools: UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: Eating healthy while applying to B-School [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 16:19
While I'm done with my GMATs, I am currently working on the apps and it definitely can be easy to fall into bad eating habits.
Below are my recommendations on Nutrition & Exercise, hopefully these are helpful :)

Nutrition
- Purge your place of bad foods and bring them to the office for your co-workers or give it to your friends! This was huge for me because after removing all the candy, chips, etc. it cleared my mind and let me go on a healthier shopping trip.
- Always keep healthy snacks readily available to you. 1 or 2 water bottles in the car and at your desk, peanuts/almonds/trail mix in your car/at work/at home. A cliffbar in your briefcase or backpack. This will help you resist the urge of buying junk food.

Foods you'll want:
- Cliff Bars or something similar. Get a variety of them so you don't get bored. Trader Joes, Fresh N Easy, Target, etc.
- Trail Mix Snack Bags.
- Romaine lettuce (uncut from the supermarkets, they last for weeks if you put some paper towels into the bags to help absorb the moisture). You'll be surprised how much salad you can eat when its readily available and you already spent money on it!
- Get a good water filter if you don't have one already. It'll encourage you to drink more water. If you like flavor, add some lemon or bruise some mint leaves.
- Force yourself to eat breakfast within 20 minutes of waking up. Grab a small yogurt, a fruit, oatmeal, cereal, or make a quick smoothie. Just get something into your system. This was a tip from a personal trainer friend of mine and after I started adopting it, it really helped me kick my daily coffee habit.

Exercise:
I force exercise into my schedule at least every other day so that includes some interval or long distance running around the local park or a visit to the gym for some weights and cardio.

!!! Take your iPod with you and load it up with some podcasts and music.
I vary my playlists to:
- Mellow music (i.e. Jack Johnson, The Fray, The XX)
- High energy / motivational music (hiphop, edm)
- Informative & Good Listening Podcasts (This American Life, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Comedy Podcasts, Dinner Party Download)
- Business Podcasts (MBA Podcaster, Harvard Business Review, Start-up Nation)

Generally if I'm working out for 45 minutes or an hour, I'll go through 2 categories of music and switch it up the next day.
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 76486

Re: Eating healthy while applying to B-School [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 18:53
This is a great thread, thanks BigRed! By coincidence, I'm preparing for the GMAT concurrently with training for an October marathon. Basically my schedule contains only 4 activities - work, gmat, running, and eating. I've found that running every morning dramatically increases my energy level and ability to concentrate during the day. The discipline to wake up early enough to run in the morning encourages discipline in my GMAT prep as well.
BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 76

GMAT Tests User
Re: Eating healthy while applying to B-School [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 09:03
BeavisMan wrote:
The discipline to wake up early enough to run in the morning encourages discipline in my GMAT prep as well.

That's a good point to highlight. I remember my college days when I used to exercise every single day and could concentrate, memorize, read all the materials, not only the concentration level was high but the discipline was in place. Sadly I lost all of them (fitness, discipline, concentration) on the way after starting working...
Re: Eating healthy while applying to B-School   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2010, 09:03