Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
For me, 1 extra large coffee black + 2 cigarettes before the exam, and about 25mg caffine + ephedra at verbal. Plus chocolate half way for sugar :-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm with zakk. As a mararthoner, I fueled for the GMAT exactly how I would for a marathon (they both take about the same amount of time).

Clif Shot Bloks or Gu. With a little bit of water during each break kept my brain going. Not too much water so that I need constant bio breaks and get distracted, though.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
[quote="StartupAddict"]For me, 1 extra large coffee black + 2 cigarettes before the exam, and about 25mg caffine + ephedra at verbal. Plus chocolate half way for sugar :-)[/quote]

Jesus, I am a student, not a cage fighter:).

I used to do caffeine+ephedra+aspirin before soccer games. It's a huge energy boost but it makes me very anxious. I must warn you though: you will be literary "burning" which necessitates a substantial water intake - this could make you take "bio breaks" often, which, imo, is not desireable.

I am planning on taking 2 of those Solo bars (for the breaks between each section), a redbul (1/3 before each section) and 0.5ml water (just in case).

This Gu pill looks interesting. I will research it, it might be a good idea.
One thing though: suplements that stimulate your body do not necessarily stimulate your brain.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Gu isn't a pill. It is a gel--basically various flavors with a snot-like texture (its as gross as it sounds but does the trick). Some have caffeine, others don't, but they're basically carbs so that athletes can quickly refuel during endurance events.

I prefer the cola flavor because there's a bit of sugar and a bit of caffeine but it burns long and doesn't make me hyper or crash.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
[quote="mba2010"]Gu isn't a pill. It is a gel--basically various flavors with a snot-like texture (its as gross as it sounds but does the trick). Some have caffeine, others don't, but they're basically carbs so that athletes can quickly refuel during endurance events.

I prefer the cola flavor because there's a bit of sugar and a bit of caffeine but it burns long and doesn't make me hyper or crash.[/quote]

So how many gels did you take and did you take them before the exam or one during each break?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Since my test was at 8am (and my long runs usually start at 8am), I woke up at 6am, had my coffee, water, and a Luna bar. Got to the test center around 7:45 and ate two Clif Bloks (cola, which has a few mg of caffeine).

After the AWA, I had 2 Bloks, a few sips of water, bio break (just in case), and a few jumping jacks to get the blood flowing. I felt like an idiot doing jumping jacks in the bathroom, but it good the energy going and the nerves out.

Between the Quant & Verbal, I took a Clif Shot (same as Gu, just different brand) and some water. Went to the bathroom, did a few more jumping jacks to shake out the jitters.

Nice and light but I still get the calories & miniscule jolt of caffeine I need to prevent fatigue. You should definitely try this out before you go to the test center, though. I know that certain flavors cause GI distress with certain people. And unless you're used to taking Gu shots, it'll take a while to get used to. Sweet snot.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
mba2010 wrote:

Nice and light but I still get the calories & miniscule jolt of caffeine I need to prevent fatigue. You should definitely try this out before you go to the test center, though. I know that certain flavors cause GI distress with certain people. And unless you're used to taking Gu shots, it'll take a while to get used to. Sweet snot.

To echo mba2010, try this first. Like a race, go through your routine a few times. Cola flavor gu's give me big GI issues! I take the vanilla or the plain.

My favorite is eGel in strawberry-vanilla flavor. 150 cals, electrolites, caffine.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
OK, marathoners, you talked me into it :) I just ordered a Gu Vanilla Gel 24-pack.

What I liked about Gu is that it is not voluminous so it won't take a lot of energy to digest and that it contains mostly complex carbs, which is what I was looking for.

What i don't like about it is that you should re-charge every 45min (and GMAT sections are 75min), but I guess that is the case with complex carbs in general, plus the 45min period may assume physical activity (so if I am doing problems, as opposed to running, glucose levels could be fine for 75min, or at least for more than 45min?)

I am thinking of starting with a Solo bar and then taking 1 gel before Quant and one before Verbal.

I will do some exam simulations over the next 2-3 weeks and will let you know how they went.

Thanks for your responses. Definitely helpful.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
raptr wrote:
OK, marathoners, you talked me into it :) I just ordered a Gu Vanilla Gel 24-pack.

What I liked about Gu is that it is not voluminous so it won't take a lot of energy to digest and that it contains mostly complex carbs, which is what I was looking for.

What i don't like about it is that you should re-charge every 45min (and GMAT sections are 75min), but I guess that is the case with complex carbs in general, plus the 45min period may assume physical activity (so if I am doing problems, as opposed to running, glucose levels could be fine for 75min, or at least for more than 45min?)

I am thinking of starting with a Solo bar and then taking 1 gel before Quant and one before Verbal.

I will do some exam simulations over the next 2-3 weeks and will let you know how they went.

Thanks for your responses. Definitely helpful.

i was taking two Gu's an hour for a half-ironman. I think 1 every 75 min will be plenty :)

good luck! let us know how it goes and a review of your first taste of Gu!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ugh, honestly, I don't think eating snacks during the exam is going to help your endurance too much. What matters the most is how you've conditioned yourself, and whether your brain is used to working at capacity for extended periods of time (your brain, after all, is a muscle)...

If you want real endurance I find Ephedra is the best. Speed would wire you too much, caffeine wears off after about 45 minutes, etc...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
[quote="StartupAddict"]Ugh, honestly, I don't think eating snacks during the exam is going to help your endurance too much. What matters the most is how you've conditioned yourself, and whether your brain is used to working at capacity for extended periods of time (your brain, after all, is a muscle)...

If you want real endurance I find Ephedra is the best. Speed would wire you too much, caffeine wears off after about 45 minutes, etc...[/quote]

Whatever works for you. I agree, snacks won't drastically increase my endurance but they will make at lease a little difference. I don't remember the last time I spent 4 hours without having at least a little snack so I know for a fact that I will be needing calories. Ephedra might be a solution, but I have never used it for anything non-soccer related. Plus, I live in NYC now and Ephedra here is... illegal :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Re: Eating/Snacks on D day [#permalink]
Sorry to bring an old post back from the dead, but I was hoping to obtain a bit more information on the use of Gu Gel between sections. When I take my Saturday practice exams, I typically eat a Clif Bar before starting, and have a handful of almonds between Quant and Verbal. But, I used to take Gu Gel when I went hiking and would certainly be willing to see how it affects my concentration and alertness. I also think I may switch to two hard boiled eggs and whole wheat toast the next few Saturday mornings. Clif bars tend to make me a tad sleepy.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
You guys are hardcore ... I ate a small bfast (fruits, cereal at 10am), at 11:30 I got my favored unsweetened Starbucks small iced coffee. Voila, nothing else aside from a sip of water over the course of the exam.

I would agree with the sentiment that it is about your brain conditioning and little else matters in the scheme of things.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Complex carbs is the key. Eat some stuff that takes your body a while to digest, it provides a even supply of carbs for hours.

I like the Quaker breakfast bars. 200 kcals or so and mostly complex carbs. A couple of those and your good to go!

NN
GMAT Club Bot