Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1713 [17]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: International Business, Leadership
GMAT Date: 09-19-2014
GPA: 3.8
WE:Design (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 526 [4]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 10-17-2014
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: Ecco recently published Joyce Carol Oates's Little Bird of H [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-proper-use-of-participial-phrases-98333.html#p757784

This link has an excellent explanation by nusmavrik

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos if this helps :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 923
Send PM
I agree with Karna. The choice D has "it" point to non living thing, which in this case is the Book publish. So I thought that made number to 37.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [3]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello akhil911,

It seems that no one has gone through each answer to explain how to tackle this question, so let's do that!

The first main difference to deal with is the use of "it" in answers C & D. By introducing a pronoun into the sentence, we need to figure out what "it" is referring to. The only noun this could be referring back to is Ecco - and since Ecco is a person, we can't use "it" to refer to him/her. Therefore, let's rule out answers C & D because they include a vague pronoun.

Now that we're left with A, B, & E, let's figure out which verb tense makes the most sense to use here:

Ecco recently published Joyce Carol Oates's Little Bird of Heaven, bringing to 37 the number of novels Oates has written under her own name.

A. bringing

This is the CORRECT answer because it turns the phrase into a modifier, which is what it should be - it's just giving us "extra" information about how many books are published, and therefore isn't really critical information.

B. and bring

This is INCORRECT because it uses present tense, which doesn't match up with the earlier use of the past tense "published." Also, using "and" here changes the phrase from a modifier to a dependent clause, which tells us this is information that needs to stay (it doesn't).

E. and brought

This is INCORRECT because it uses plain past tense, which doesn't really fit well here - the number of published books as of today is still 37 (as far as we know). Also, adding "and" to the phrase suggests that Ecco personally delivered 37 published books somewhere, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

I hope this helps anyone who still needed more of an explanation for answering this kind of question!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello akhil911,

It seems that no one has gone through each answer to explain how to tackle this question, so let's do that!

The first main difference to deal with is the use of "it" in answers C & D. By introducing a pronoun into the sentence, we need to figure out what "it" is referring to. The only noun this could be referring back to is Ecco - and since Ecco is a person, we can't use "it" to refer to him/her. Therefore, let's rule out answers C & D because they include a vague pronoun.

Now that we're left with A, B, & E, let's figure out which verb tense makes the most sense to use here:

Ecco recently published Joyce Carol Oates's Little Bird of Heaven, bringing to 37 the number of novels Oates has written under her own name.

A. bringing

This is the CORRECT answer because it turns the phrase into a modifier, which is what it should be - it's just giving us "extra" information about how many books are published, and therefore isn't really critical information.

B. and bring

This is INCORRECT because it uses present tense, which doesn't match up with the earlier use of the past tense "published." Also, using "and" here changes the phrase from a modifier to a dependent clause, which tells us this is information that needs to stay (it doesn't).

E. and brought

This is INCORRECT because it uses plain past tense, which doesn't really fit well here - the number of published books as of today is still 37 (as far as we know). Also, adding "and" to the phrase suggests that Ecco personally delivered 37 published books somewhere, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

I hope this helps anyone who still needed more of an explanation for answering this kind of question!

Hi,
Can you please tell me how do we know if Ecco is a person and not a publication company?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts