Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [50]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [17]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [7]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 480 Q48 V9
Send PM
Re: Ecologist: Without the intervention of conservationists [#permalink]
Why not 'C' be the answer. I hope it will be better if we get a full explanation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I went with D....an official explanation will be highly appreciated..
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [2]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This time i disagree on this question. Not on the OA but rather on the question itself.

rarely I saw a must true question that basically repeats the same words of the stimulus.

I agree to train with LSAT questions that are pretty good and tough but not always.

Sometimes ago thare was a PDF from aristotle prep (for free on their website) with a collection of lsat questions suitable for the gmat purpose.

Now is not already available. But I saved it on my pc.If you are interested and you haven't it let me know. I upload it ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [0]
Send PM
carcass wrote:
This time i disagree on this question. Not on the OA but rather on the question itself.

rarely I saw a must true question that basically repeats the same words of the stimulus.

I agree to train with LSAT questions that are pretty good and tough but not always.

Sometimes ago thare was a PDF from aristotle prep (for free on their website) with a collection of lsat questions suitable for the gmat purpose.

Now is not already available. But I saved it on my pc.If you are interested and you haven't it let me know. I upload it ;)

Carcass, which part of the question you disagree with?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
soumyaranjandash wrote:
Why not 'C' be the answer. I hope it will be better if we get a full explanation.

I went with E. I ruled out C as the premise says that the squirrel monkeys will flourish with plentiful supply of fruit, etc. Survival is different from thriving.

Coming to why I chose E, it is the answer that links two premises. So, I felt that it was the strongest conclusion and hence chose it.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [0]
Send PM
PraPon wrote:
carcass wrote:

Hi dude :)

Without the intervention of conservationists. Infer is always something that is completely unstated in the stimulus. As such, infer is just something that you "can" read among the lines of the stimulus.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
PraPon wrote:
OE: In the first sentence the ecologist claims that without the intervention of conservationists, the squirrel monkeys will become extinct. In other words, the conservationists’ intervention is required for the squirrel monkeys’ survival. This statement yields the following translation: IF squirrel monkeys survive -> conservationists intervene. Likewise, the contrapositive states that IF NO conservationists’ intervention -> squirrel monkeys extinct. Then the ecologist gives us a condition under which the squirrel monkeys will survive: IF large tracts of habitat preserved -> squirrel monkeys survive. The contrapositive then translates as IF squirrel monkeys extinct -> large tracts of habitat NOT preserved. The last sentence is just filler and is of no consequence to the logic of the argument. Stay focused on how the first two statements can be connected through common terms as you evaluate each answer choice for a statement that must be true.

(A) The ecologist only discusses the habitat in question. The food supply or lack thereof in other habitats is outside the scope and the ecologist does not provide enough information to know that this must be true.
(B) This need not necessarily be true. The preservation of the large tract of habitat is one way to ensure survival of the squirrel monkeys. There could be a whole host of other ways that the inter vening conservationists can save the squirrel monkeys that the ecologist never discusses.
(C) The ecologist states that squirrel monkeys flourish when a plentiful supply of insects and fruit is available. The ecologist never states that the squirrel monkeys would die off without this food supply. Choice (C) is going too far.
(D) This answer reverses the logic of the first statement. If the squirrel monkeys survive, it is because the conservationists have intervened. The ecologist never states that intervention alone will guarantee their existence. In fact, the second statement provides an unrelated condition—the preservation of the habitat—that will ensure survival of the squirrel monkeys.
(E) This answer must be correct since the other four are demonstrably wrong. This answer emphasizes the connection between the two formal logic statements, but in the form of the contrapositive. IF conser vationists’ do NOT intervene -> squirrel monkeys extinct -> large tracts of land NOT preserved. Choice (E) is correct and properly removes the common term of “squirrel monkeys extinct” in the contrapositive.

hi i do not agree with the logic for choosing E.It seems like you are trying to justify the answer after it was known. Its not essential that if squirrel monkeys extinct the large tracts of land won't be preserved.the tracts might be preserved for breeding other animals we never know. C and d seems rather relevant...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
carcass wrote:
PraPon wrote:
carcass wrote:

Without the intervention of conservationists. Infer is always something that is completely unstated in the stimulus. As such, infer is just something that you "can" read among the lines of the stimulus.

Hello Carcass, we may not always find infer question choices as something new or completely unstated in the stimulus. Sometimes the infer questions may have multiple premises stated separately and will ask you to establish the relationship in answer choices. The choices may also re-state some of the content from the premises, but correct choice will reflect appropriate relationship. Another example - cause & effect infer questions.

Above specific question stresses a lot on understanding and defining the conditional relationship among few circumstances: Sufficient -> Necessary. Some of the tricky answer choices in this question may look correct but they incorrectly show reversed relationship Necessary -> Sufficient, which cant guaranteed to be true. Hence eliminate. Choice (E) rightly establishes the conditions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [0]
Send PM
PraPon wrote:
carcass wrote:
PraPon wrote:

Hello Carcass, we may not always find infer question choices as something new or completely unstated in the stimulus. Sometimes the infer questions may have multiple premises stated separately and will ask you to establish the relationship in answer choices. The choices may also re-state some of the content from the premises, but correct choice will reflect appropriate relationship. Another example - cause & effect infer questions.

Above specific question stresses a lot on understanding and defining the conditional relationship among few circumstances: Sufficient -> Necessary. Some of the tricky answer choices in this question may look correct but they incorrectly show reversed relationship Necessary -> Sufficient, which cant guaranteed to be true. Hence eliminate. Choice (E) rightly establishes the conditions.

Just posted another classic question of similar type that involves relationship between conditions:
therapist-the-ability-to-trust-other-people-is-essential-to-147951.html
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [0]
Send PM
Ok man :)

I picked the right answer. The question was related only on my opinion ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
hi guys this is how you solve it logically

C = Intervention by conservationists;
S = Squirrel monkeys will survive
F = Large Tracts of second hand forests are preserved

-C → -S, ∶ First Premise

F → S, -S→-F (Modus tollens) ∶ Second Premise

Therefore combining the two logical statements we have

-C → -S, -S → -F by rule of syllogism gives

-C →-F : Possible Conclusion

if no Intervention by conservationists then no Large Tracts of second hand forests are preserved
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
PrashantPonde wrote:
OE: In the first sentence the ecologist claims that without the intervention of conservationists, the squirrel monkeys will become extinct. In other words, the conservationists’ intervention is required for the squirrel monkeys’ survival. This statement yields the following translation: IF squirrel monkeys survive -> conservationists intervene. Likewise, the contrapositive states that IF NO conservationists’ intervention -> squirrel monkeys extinct. Then the ecologist gives us a condition under which the squirrel monkeys will survive: IF large tracts of habitat preserved -> squirrel monkeys survive. The contrapositive then translates as IF squirrel monkeys extinct -> large tracts of habitat NOT preserved. The last sentence is just filler and is of no consequence to the logic of the argument. Stay focused on how the first two statements can be connected through common terms as you evaluate each answer choice for a statement that must be true.

(A) The ecologist only discusses the habitat in question. The food supply or lack thereof in other habitats is outside the scope and the ecologist does not provide enough information to know that this must be true.
(B) This need not necessarily be true. The preservation of the large tract of habitat is one way to ensure survival of the squirrel monkeys. There could be a whole host of other ways that the inter vening conservationists can save the squirrel monkeys that the ecologist never discusses.
(C) The ecologist states that squirrel monkeys flourish when a plentiful supply of insects and fruit is available. The ecologist never states that the squirrel monkeys would die off without this food supply. Choice (C) is going too far.
(D) This answer reverses the logic of the first statement. If the squirrel monkeys survive, it is because the conservationists have intervened. The ecologist never states that intervention alone will guarantee their existence. In fact, the second statement provides an unrelated condition—the preservation of the habitat—that will ensure survival of the squirrel monkeys.
(E) This answer must be correct since the other four are demonstrably wrong. This answer emphasizes the connection between the two formal logic statements, but in the form of the contrapositive. IF conser vationists’ do NOT intervene -> squirrel monkeys extinct -> large tracts of land NOT preserved. Choice (E) is correct and properly removes the common term of “squirrel monkeys extinct” in the contrapositive.

I highly doubt your reasoning for going with E. E cannot be a must true situation as there might be a different group of people other than conservationists, who might be interested in developing the habitat for some other purpose.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM