Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Economist Article on PhD Students

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Economist Article on PhD Students [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 14:12
Expert's post
Here's a sober, yet realistic article from The Economist on the challenges PhD students face in the job market. At the moment, this article can be accessed for free. In a week or so, however, readers will need to verify that they have an account in order to access the article.

http://www.economist.com/node/17723223

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: Economist Article on PhD Students [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 07:50
bmillan, Thanks for sharing this. I was reading it the other day and lost the link. Now I can go back to it.
It is a very realistic article indeed.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 2.4
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 30

Reviews Badge
Re: Economist Article on PhD Students [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 09:10
It was a very interesting article, I asked a few of my phd friends and they said it hit a lot of points on the head. My friend is currently completing her phd in boston and it's tough for her to afford a 900 dollar a month apartment on what they pay. Between that and how hard it is for vacation time and getting benefits, I didn't realize it was that difficult for phd and post docs.

"Popular opinion is the greatest lie in the world"-Thomas Carlyle

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Economist Article on PhD Students [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 04:28
Nevertheless there exists a shortage in business phd students :-D
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

Re: Economist Article on PhD Students [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 05:35
I'd be careful about generalizing this article to business Ph.D's.

Quote:
A graduate assistant at Yale might earn $20,000 a year for nine months of teaching.

The norm in business schools is about $30K. If you teach, you are paid extra per semester.

Quote:
The average pay of full professors in America was $109,000 in 2009—higher than the average for judges and magistrates.

Not in business school. A full professor easily makes over $150K for a 9 month appointment, not to mention additional monies from consulting and teaching in executive education. For example, professors can make $50K for a week of teaching exec. education and charge $5K a day for consulting with industry.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 29

Re: Economist Article on PhD Students [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 10:03
The article is a bit discouraging... but I hope you are the one who's right (as the current plan is to apply for a phd):

Quote:
Not in business school. A full professor easily makes over $150K for a 9 month appointment, not to mention additional monies from consulting and teaching in executive education. For example, professors can make $50K for a week of teaching exec. education and charge $5K a day for consulting with industry.

An additional problem for me would be that I would be 32 when I (if I) start it... + I will have to move to another country + my girlfriend will be 31 - time for kids... a mission impossible for a PhD student with my profile... what do you think...

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

When you give kudos, you do not lose your previously earned kudos, you rather contribute to the forum's culture of appreciation.

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [1] , given: 781

Re: Economist Article on PhD Students [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 11:41
This post received
KUDOS
thetiming wrote:
The article is a bit discouraging... but I hope you are the one who's right (as the current plan is to apply for a phd):

Quote:
An additional problem for me would be that I would be 32 when I (if I) start it... + I will have to move to another country + my girlfriend will be 31 - time for kids... a mission impossible for a PhD student with my profile... what do you think...

Not impossible at all. As far as kids are concerned - I know several doctoral students who had kids before they joined the Ph.D. program and several professors who had kids in their late 30's after they got tenure. In fact, Ph.D. students with families do better with time management and are more organized. Not to mention a family gives you perspective and motivation.

Your greater challenge is an admit to a Ph.D. program. You can worry about mission impossible then.
Re: Economist Article on PhD Students   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2011, 11:41