Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Economist: Some policymakers believe that our country s

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Economist: Some policymakers believe that our country s [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 09:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Economist: Some policymakers believe that our country’s continued economic growth requires a higher level of personal savings than we currently have. A recent legislative proposal would allow individuals to set up savings accounts in which interest earned would be exempt from taxes until money is withdrawn from the account. Backers of this proposal claim that its implementation would increase the amount of money available for banks to loan at a relatively small cost to the government in lost tax revenues. Yet, when similar tax-incentive programs were tried in the past, virtually all of the money invested through them was diverted from other personal savings, and the overall level of personal savings was unchanged.

The author criticizes the proposed tax-incentive program by

(A) challenging a premise on which the proposal is based
(B) pointing out a disagreement among policymakers
(C) demonstrating that the proposal’s implementation is not feasible
(D) questioning the judgment of the proposal’s backers by citing past cases in which they had advocated programs that have proved ineffective
(E) disputing the assumption that a program to encourage personal savings is needed
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Economist [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 16:34
Vote A. The author does not believe that the special accounts will improve the amount of saving.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 21:36
Tha proposal is not based on what the backers' say.They are just giving their opinion...I think D should be the answer??
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2007, 00:05
No brainer : D

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2007, 07:13
I think it is A

Backers of this proposal claim that its implementation would increase the amount of money available for banks to loan

The author challenges the above

AimHigher

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 07:42
Whats wrong with D??
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 10:20
vineetgupta wrote:
Whats wrong with D??

D says that the author is specifically criticizing the backers of the proposal by pointing out other programs where their judgement has been wrong.

In the passage, the author points out that programs similar to the one proposed have been wrong - he says nothing about other programs the backers have supported in the past being wrong.

It's the difference between saying: "The backers support X. But X has been wrong in the past, so X is wrong now" and "The backers support X. But the backers have been wrong about Y and Z in the past, so they must be wrong about X."

I think the answer is A. The author is challenging the idea that offering the plan will increase the amount of savings. What is the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 10:52
I thought of D as well. Although I was a lil confused with the last line. Can someone help me understand the last line?

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 11:33
One and only D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 16:18
Hey guys.

Without any other reasonings, D is a fallacy in concluding that because the past proposals were useless so the new proposal is also.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 14:19
I also go with D. Seems quite obvious to me. Not sure of I am not thinking enough.

Whats OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2007, 05:04
I'll go with A

The backers of Legislative proposal base their support to the proposal based on a premise that implementation of the proposal would increase the amount of money available for banks to loan at a relatively small cost to the government in lost tax revenues.

The economist cites a specific example where such effect has not been observed. Thus, he questions the premise on which the proposal is based.

The economist does not directly question the judgment of the proposal’s backers. Hence D cannot be the answer.

I found this one tough... :?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2007, 17:04
I will go with A.

What is OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2007, 17:28
I would go with A.

The purpose of the proposal is to increase the amount of personal savings (i.e. banks have more money to lend) but the author at the end refutes that a similar proposal (with seemingly similar purpose) failed because "the overall level of personal savings was unchanged."

Although it did not explicity say that the similar proposal in the past was a "failure", we can infer that it did not achieve its goal from the use of the word "yet" to introduce it.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2007, 23:52
Thanks guys...the OA is A.
  [#permalink] 21 Mar 2007, 23:52