Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Economist: The law of demand predicts that as the price of a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 1

Economist: The law of demand predicts that as the price of a [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 23:26
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

58% (02:13) correct 42% (01:25) wrong based on 22 sessions
Economist: The law of demand predicts that as the price of a good goes down, demand for that good will increase, and vice-versa. In a recent experiment, economists gave coupons for rice to families in a province of China, where it is a staple food. The coupons effectively lowered the cost of rice, and should have led the families to buy more of it. Instead, households given the coupons purchased less rice than a control group who did not receive coupons.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the amount of rice purchased by families who received coupons?
(A) Chinese families spend an unusually high proportion of their income on rice.
(B) The prices of staple goods, including foodstuffs such as rice, do not fluctuate as much as those of non-necessary goods, such as consumer electronics.
(C) In the months before and after the experiment, the average per-family consumption of rice in the Chinese province steadily decreased.
(D) Many of the families given coupons discovered that they could sell the coupons on the black market.
(E) The availability of the coupons meant that families had more money to spend on other things, including more expensive substitutes for rice.

OA Later

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 36

Re: Rice coupons [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 23:42
P1 : When the price of a good goes down, demand for that good will increase
P2 : Price of rice went down but the demand also decreased

Between D and E

D : does not explains why the demand of rice will go down. demand of rice should have gone up if the coupons are sold in black market.

E : Yes this explains why the demand of rice went down and resolves the discrepancy. Answer.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

Re: Rice coupons [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 11:46
E for me too. OA please. Thank You.

Thanks,
Akhil M.Parekh
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 6

Re: Rice coupons [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 12:50
I narrowed to B, D and E.

D is out because families discovered that that can sell coupons in black market. We dont know if thye actually did that.

B is out because if the price of rice does not fluctuate as much as other goods than why 1 group demanded more rice and the other demanded less.

E is correct as it explains that people who had coupons used it for expensive substitiutes of rice thereby decreasing the demand for rice.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Rice coupons [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 15:03
i will go with 'D' ,
E - Coupons can only be used for rice, people have to purchase rice to save money and thn only can spend the remaining on others. I don;t think in this case rice consumption decreases.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Re: Rice coupons [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 19:16
jainrahul1234 wrote:
i will go with 'D' ,
E - Coupons can only be used for rice, people have to purchase rice to save money and thn only can spend the remaining on others. I don;t think in this case rice consumption decreases.

I pick E

Say you usually spend $10 to buy 10kg rice. Now with the coupon, you can spend $2 to buy 5kg rice and $8 to buy 5kg Kimchi (assume Kimchi is more desirable than Rice) for example.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Rice coupons [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 19:47
D for me too...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Re: Rice coupons [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 23:16
OA is E . I went for D .

nusmavrik has explained precisely.

P1 : When the price of a good goes down, demand for that good will increase
P2 : Price of rice went down but the demand also decreased

Between D and E

D : does not explains why the demand of rice will go down. demand of rice should have gone up if the coupons are sold in black market.

E : Yes this explains why the demand of rice went down and resolves the discrepancy. Answer.

Thx GUys !

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 22

Re: Rice coupons [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 02:25
E for me too,, good explanation by nusmavrik
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Rice coupons [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 02:27
good Q
also went for D first time

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amar
http://amarnaik.wordpress.com

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: Rice coupons [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 01:55
E precisely gives the reason why the people purchased less rice.
E it is.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Re: Rice coupons [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 04:13
We are given higher price, decrease demand.

I don't understand how the reverse can be assumed. => decrease in price would increase in the demand??
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Rice coupons [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 09:07
This is a classic case where the question makes you think everything in D is good. And you mark D without paying much attention to E.

E for me too..

Schandok..I have learnt one in the GMAT questions that you should not apply your common outside knowledge.Go as per what is given in the questions..If you read carefully, the word 'vice-versa' is mentioned in the stimulus..Hence, you are not assuming anything here..Everything is given..and go as per that..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: Rice coupons [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 10:42
KissGMAT wrote:
Economist: The law of demand predicts that as the price of a good goes down, demand for that good will increase, and vice-versa. In a recent experiment, economists gave coupons for rice to families in a province of China, where it is a staple food. The coupons effectively lowered the cost of rice, and should have led the families to buy more of it. Instead, households given the coupons purchased less rice than a control group who did not receive coupons.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the amount of rice purchased by families who received coupons?
(A) Chinese families spend an unusually high proportion of their income on rice.
(B) The prices of staple goods, including foodstuffs such as rice, do not fluctuate as much as those of non-necessary goods, such as consumer electronics.
(C) In the months before and after the experiment, the average per-family consumption of rice in the Chinese province steadily decreased.
(D) Many of the families given coupons discovered that they could sell the coupons on the black market.
(E) The availability of the coupons meant that families had more money to spend on other things, including more expensive substitutes for rice.

OA Later

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Re: Rice coupons [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 17:01
Thanks @OptimusPrimea1. Now it makes sense to me. +1 for E. I did missed vice-versa. Need to increase my concentration.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 33

Re: Rice coupons [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 20:05
schandok wrote:
Thanks @OptimusPrimea1. Now it makes sense to me. +1 for E. I did missed vice-versa. Need to increase my concentration.

Gr8 Question.

E for me.
Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 629

Re: Economist: The law of demand predicts that as the price of a [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 07:21
This appears to be a GMAT Hacks question of the day. It reappeared on 3/5/2013. The Official Explanation is as follows:

Answer: E This is an explanation question. The apparent paradox is that, while the price of rice effectively declined, rice consumption also declined. Consider each choice in turn, looking for a reason why this might occur: (A) This doesn't tell us anything about the effect of the coupons. (B) The amount of fluctuation is outside the scope; we're concerned with the effect of lowering the price of rice. (C) That the average consumption of rice declined is not important; the study described in the passage included a control group, to which the households given coupons were compared. (D) This choice suggests that some families did not purchase rice with their coupons; however, this doesn't explain why they would also purchase less rice. (E) This is correct. If these families had money to purchase preferable rice substitutes, they may have increased or kept constant their consumption of rice and rice substitutes, but shifted some of their consumption from rice to substitutes because of the coupons.

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

BEST OVERALL QUANT BOOK FOR THE MONEY | MAXIMIZE YOUR STUDY TIME

Re: Economist: The law of demand predicts that as the price of a   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2013, 07:21