Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 14
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 00:42
egmat wrote:
SOLUTION

Identify whether the underlined words are verbs or verb-ed modifiers.

1. Like birds today, Archaeopteryx had feathers that were fully formed.
Formed = simple past tense verb. In the relative pronoun clause, “that” is the subject that stands for “feathers” and the verb for this subject is “were formed”.

2. Our powers of color vision are derived from cells in our eyes called cones, three types in all, each triggered by different wavelengths of light.
Called & triggered = verb-ed modifier
Litmus Test: Did the “eyes” do the action of calling? No. Hence, it’s a modifier.
Did “each” do the job of triggering? No. Different wavelengths of light did that job. Hence, “triggered” is the modifier.

3. As Joel Bregman hoped, dozens of young stars turned up in each of the three dead galaxies—and as an added surprise, they even appeared in Messier 105.
Hoped, turned & appeared = simple past tense verbs for subjects “Joel Bregman”, “dozens of young stars” and “they” respectively.
Added = modifier that modifies “surprise”.

4. Dark matter might actually be produced at the energies explored by the world’s most powerful particle accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).
Explored = verb-ed modifier
Litmus Test: Will “the energies” do the job of exploring? No. The world’s most powerful particle accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider might do that action. Hence, “explored” is the modifier.

5. A leader guided by sound principles earned immense respect from the masses.
Guided = verb-ed modifier, earned = simple past tense verb for the subject “A leader”.
Litmus Test: Did a leader do the action of guiding? In this context, no. “Sound principles” guided “a leader”. Hence, guided is the modifier.

6. A company founded on sound business principles achieves much higher success.
Founded = verb-ed modifier
Litmus Test: Did a company do the action of founding? In this context no. May be the founder of the company did that job. Hence, founded is the verb-ed modifier.

7. The lamp decorated with stars filled the child’s room with innocent beauty.
Decorated = verb-ed modifier, filled = simple past tense verb for the subject “The lamp”.
Litmus Test: Did the lamp do the action of decorating. No. Hence, it is the modifier.

Correct these sentences if you feel they are incorrect.

1. The lamp decorated the child’s room filled his room with innocent beauty. = Incorrect
Correct = The lamp that decorated the child’s room filled his room with innocent beauty.

2. A leader guided his followers earned immense respect from the masses. = Incorrect
Correct = A leader who guided his followers earned immense respect from the masses.



Sam was cheated by his brother.

According to the litnus test given above, In this sentence cheated is ed-modifier or simple past?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1794
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3673 [0], given: 185

Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 07:30
Expert's post
abhinawster wrote:
egmat wrote:
SOLUTION

Identify whether the underlined words are verbs or verb-ed modifiers.

1. Like birds today, Archaeopteryx had feathers that were fully formed.
Formed = simple past tense verb. In the relative pronoun clause, “that” is the subject that stands for “feathers” and the verb for this subject is “were formed”.

2. Our powers of color vision are derived from cells in our eyes called cones, three types in all, each triggered by different wavelengths of light.
Called & triggered = verb-ed modifier
Litmus Test: Did the “eyes” do the action of calling? No. Hence, it’s a modifier.
Did “each” do the job of triggering? No. Different wavelengths of light did that job. Hence, “triggered” is the modifier.

3. As Joel Bregman hoped, dozens of young stars turned up in each of the three dead galaxies—and as an added surprise, they even appeared in Messier 105.
Hoped, turned & appeared = simple past tense verbs for subjects “Joel Bregman”, “dozens of young stars” and “they” respectively.
Added = modifier that modifies “surprise”.

4. Dark matter might actually be produced at the energies explored by the world’s most powerful particle accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).
Explored = verb-ed modifier
Litmus Test: Will “the energies” do the job of exploring? No. The world’s most powerful particle accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider might do that action. Hence, “explored” is the modifier.

5. A leader guided by sound principles earned immense respect from the masses.
Guided = verb-ed modifier, earned = simple past tense verb for the subject “A leader”.
Litmus Test: Did a leader do the action of guiding? In this context, no. “Sound principles” guided “a leader”. Hence, guided is the modifier.

6. A company founded on sound business principles achieves much higher success.
Founded = verb-ed modifier
Litmus Test: Did a company do the action of founding? In this context no. May be the founder of the company did that job. Hence, founded is the verb-ed modifier.

7. The lamp decorated with stars filled the child’s room with innocent beauty.
Decorated = verb-ed modifier, filled = simple past tense verb for the subject “The lamp”.
Litmus Test: Did the lamp do the action of decorating. No. Hence, it is the modifier.

Correct these sentences if you feel they are incorrect.

1. The lamp decorated the child’s room filled his room with innocent beauty. = Incorrect
Correct = The lamp that decorated the child’s room filled his room with innocent beauty.

2. A leader guided his followers earned immense respect from the masses. = Incorrect
Correct = A leader who guided his followers earned immense respect from the masses.



Sam was cheated by his brother.

According to the litnus test given above, In this sentence cheated is ed-modifier or simple past?


Hi there,

The verb in this sentence is not just cheated but "was cheated" The verb is written in passive voice. Because the sentence is written in passive voice it is obvious that the subject (Sam) is the receiver of the action and the object (his brother) is the doer of the action.

Thanks. :)
Shraddha
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1794
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3673 [1] , given: 185

Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 07:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
KnuckleDown wrote:
Hi E-Gmat/Shraddha,

The below sentence is from your article on Verb-ed modifiers. The correct answer is the same as the sentence given below. After going through Verb-ing modifier concept on E-GMAT, I understand that Verb-ing modifier modifies the preceding noun. However, in the below sentence, that rule is getting violated. Please help me understand this.


Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root like tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

Thanks,
Knuckledown


Hi Knuckledown,

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root like tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

This is how you should read the sentence and then you will see that the sentence does not break any rule:

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root like tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

The "that clause" that separates "a giant fungus" from its verb-ed modifier "spawned" is a modifier that gives additional information about "a giant fungus". Since it is just a modifier "spawned" can jump over it and refer to "a gain fungus".

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 00:09
[quote="Sinner1706"]Hi Shraddha/E-Gmat Team,

Understood the concept on Verb-ed Modifiers. Could you clarify the below question, in line with Verb-ing modifiers

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language
variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating

i think c is the correct as it is parallaly correct with al ed form

Last edited by jitendersingh on 23 Jul 2013, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1794
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3673 [0], given: 185

Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 05:32
Expert's post
jitendersingh wrote:
Sinner1706 wrote:
Hi Shraddha/E-Gmat Team,

Understood the concept on Verb-ed Modifiers. Could you clarify the below question, in line with Verb-ing modifiers

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language
variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating


B IS THE ANSWER IS THT TRUE.PLZ LET ME KNOW


Hi Jitender,

I'm afraid B is not the correct answer. Why don't you try it once more and post your analysis here? It will help you why B and other three choices are incorrect and why the correct choice is correct.

Thanks. :)
Shraddha
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 1117
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 565 [0], given: 107

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 11:54
Expert's post
egmat wrote:
jitendersingh wrote:
Sinner1706 wrote:
Hi Shraddha/E-Gmat Team,

Understood the concept on Verb-ed Modifiers. Could you clarify the below question, in line with Verb-ing modifiers

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language
variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating


B IS THE ANSWER IS THT TRUE.PLZ LET ME KNOW


Hi Jitender,

I'm afraid B is not the correct answer. Why don't you try it once more and post your analysis here? It will help you why B and other three choices are incorrect and why the correct choice is correct.

Thanks. :)
Shraddha



IMO OA: D

Shradhha- can you please confirm.
_________________

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog


KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1794
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3673 [0], given: 185

Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2013, 06:03
Expert's post
bagdbmba wrote:
IMO OA: D

Shradhha- can you please confirm.

Hi there,
Yup, that's the correct answer. Why don't you post the analysis here? That will be helpful to many.

Thanks. :)
Shraddha
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 13
GMAT 1: 0 Q0 V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 22:50
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language
variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

'Language variations...' is an absolute phrase. 'which...' and 'perpetuated..' tell us more about language variation. To check whether 'perpetuated' is a ver-ed modifier or verb? We should ask the question, Did 'language variations' do the action of perpetuation? No. 'Perpetuating was done by geographical locations. Thus 'perpetuated' is a verd-ed modifier. As there is an 'and' parallel marker, parallelism needs to be maintained. A phrase and a cluase can be parallel. 'Originated' is a verb. Usage of 'perpetuating' is also incorrect as language variations are not doing the action of 'perpetuating'. Thus D is the right answer.

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Incorrect parallelism
B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Incorrect parallelism
C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Verb and Verb-ed can't be parallel
D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Correct
E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating-'originating' is correct whereas 'perpetuating' is not

@Shraddha: I face a problem when dealing with this type of questions. I get bit engrossed in deciding whether (for eg) did 'language variations' do the action of 'originating'?. Is there any other simple manner to check whether the given ED verb is verb-ed modifier or a verb? Any help is deeply appreciated.

Regards,
Heman2727
_________________

If my post helps, please do appreciate it with a Kudos!!
Cheers to great learning. Knowledge increases by sharing and not by saving!!!!

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1794
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3673 [0], given: 185

Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 06:53
Expert's post
heman2727 wrote:
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language
variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

'Language variations...' is an absolute phrase. 'which...' and 'perpetuated..' tell us more about language variation. To check whether 'perpetuated' is a ver-ed modifier or verb? We should ask the question, Did 'language variations' do the action of perpetuation? No. 'Perpetuating was done by geographical locations. Thus 'perpetuated' is a verd-ed modifier. As there is an 'and' parallel marker, parallelism needs to be maintained. A phrase and a cluase can be parallel. 'Originated' is a verb. Usage of 'perpetuating' is also incorrect as language variations are not doing the action of 'perpetuating'. Thus D is the right answer.

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Incorrect parallelism
B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Incorrect parallelism
C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Verb and Verb-ed can't be parallel
D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Correct
E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating-'originating' is correct whereas 'perpetuating' is not

@Shraddha: I face a problem when dealing with this type of questions. I get bit engrossed in deciding whether (for eg) did 'language variations' do the action of 'originating'?. Is there any other simple manner to check whether the given ED verb is verb-ed modifier or a verb? Any help is deeply appreciated.

Regards,
Heman2727



Hi Heman2727,

Very good analysis I must say. You have explained the usage of "perpetuated" and "perpetuating" pretty nicely. Keep up the good job of doing such a thorough analysis.

I would juts like to add a bit to your analysis. In choice A, usage of "perpetuated" is certainly incorrect. As you said that the "which = language variations" did the job of originating while geographic isolation did the action of perpetuating. This error can be corrected by turning "perpetuated" into a verb also. We need to add "are" before perpetuated to do so.

Now "which" will have two verbs "originate" and "are perpetuated". These entities are also correct.
So we see there can be multiple ways to correct an incorrect sentence.

Also, the easiest way to find out whether an ED word is a simple past tense verb or a verb-ed modifier is to find out whether the subject is the doer of that action or not. This will become a natural process once you have practiced well. You are already pretty good at this as I can see from your analysis.

Thanks. :)
Shraddha
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 13
GMAT 1: 0 Q0 V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 08:44
egmat wrote:
heman2727 wrote:
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language
variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

'Language variations...' is an absolute phrase. 'which...' and 'perpetuated..' tell us more about language variation. To check whether 'perpetuated' is a ver-ed modifier or verb? We should ask the question, Did 'language variations' do the action of perpetuation? No. 'Perpetuating was done by geographical locations. Thus 'perpetuated' is a verd-ed modifier. As there is an 'and' parallel marker, parallelism needs to be maintained. A phrase and a cluase can be parallel. 'Originated' is a verb. Usage of 'perpetuating' is also incorrect as language variations are not doing the action of 'perpetuating'. Thus D is the right answer.

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Incorrect parallelism
B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Incorrect parallelism
C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Verb and Verb-ed can't be parallel
D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Correct
E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating-'originating' is correct whereas 'perpetuating' is not

@Shraddha: I face a problem when dealing with this type of questions. I get bit engrossed in deciding whether (for eg) did 'language variations' do the action of 'originating'?. Is there any other simple manner to check whether the given ED verb is verb-ed modifier or a verb? Any help is deeply appreciated.

Regards,
Heman2727



Hi Heman2727,

Very good analysis I must say. You have explained the usage of "perpetuated" and "perpetuating" pretty nicely. Keep up the good job of doing such a thorough analysis.

I would juts like to add a bit to your analysis. In choice A, usage of "perpetuated" is certainly incorrect. As you said that the "which = language variations" did the job of originating while geographic isolation did the action of perpetuating. This error can be corrected by turning "perpetuated" into a verb also. We need to add "are" before perpetuated to do so.

Now "which" will have two verbs "originate" and "are perpetuated". These entities are also correct.
So we see there can be multiple ways to correct an incorrect sentence.

Also, the easiest way to find out whether an ED word is a simple past tense verb or a verb-ed modifier is to find out whether the subject is the doer of that action or not. This will become a natural process once you have practiced well. You are already pretty good at this as I can see from your analysis.

Thanks. :)
Shraddha


Thanks a lot Shraddha for appreciating my analysis. :) ...I want to thank you for helping us all through your numerous articles...these articles are very informative and have helped me considerably to strengthen my SC basics...

Thanks again...
Heman2727
_________________

If my post helps, please do appreciate it with a Kudos!!
Cheers to great learning. Knowledge increases by sharing and not by saving!!!!

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1794
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3673 [0], given: 185

Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 05:36
Expert's post
Hi all,
Here comes the detailed solution of this problem.

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

Meaning Analysis:

Popularity of television has resulted in decline of regional dialects. Regional dialects are language variations which:
• Originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages
• Are perpetuated by geographic location

Error Analysis:

“perpetuated” is a verb-ed modifier now. It modifies “language variations”. But it is not parallel to the simple present tense verb “originate”. Hence, either we make “perpetuated” a verb by adding “are” before it because this verb needs to be in passive voice. Or we make “originate” into a noun modifier that modifies “language variations”. That word would be “originating”.

Image


PoE:

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated: Incorrect. Same parallelism error as in choice A. But here we need “was” before “perpetuated” to make it a passive voice verb.

C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated: Incorrect.
1. “originated” is a verb here. This leads to a run-on sentence now because two independent clauses are joined just be a comma.
2. Same parallelism error as in choice B.

D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated: Correct. Here “originating” and “perpetuated” both are noun modifiers that modifies “language variations”.

E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating: Incorrect.
1. Use of “perpetuating by” is incorrect. It now denotes that the “language variations” did the action of perpetuating.
2. This choice has parallelism error. Even though “originating” and “perpetuating” look identical, they are logically not parallel.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 929
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 312 [1] , given: 543

Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 07:15
1
This post received
KUDOS
Could you suggest few OG questions that test this topic or any other sources I can use to solidify the concept ( as practice material)
_________________

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 105

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 10:19
egmat wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Hi eGMAT,
Going by your 'Takeaway', if the subject of the sentence IS NOT the doer of the action then is there any exception that still the verb-ed form in that sentence,IS NOT the MODIFIER...?

Can you show some examples ?


Hi Debayan,

A verb-ed word will be either a verb or a verb-ed modifier. If it is a verb, it will certainly have a Subject or some doer (if the sentence does not have any grammatical error). If it is not a verb, then the verb-ed word has to be a modifier.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha



Hello Shraddha,

I am curious to know what is the Verb for "Giant Fungus" in the above sentence. Starting "that......" is a clause and "spawned" and "extending" are Verbed and Verbing so where is the main verb for Giant Fungus?

Thanks,
Saurav
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 105

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 10:46
egmat wrote:
heman2727 wrote:
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language
variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

'Language variations...' is an absolute phrase. 'which...' and 'perpetuated..' tell us more about language variation. To check whether 'perpetuated' is a ver-ed modifier or verb? We should ask the question, Did 'language variations' do the action of perpetuation? No. 'Perpetuating was done by geographical locations. Thus 'perpetuated' is a verd-ed modifier. As there is an 'and' parallel marker, parallelism needs to be maintained. A phrase and a cluase can be parallel. 'Originated' is a verb. Usage of 'perpetuating' is also incorrect as language variations are not doing the action of 'perpetuating'. Thus D is the right answer.

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Incorrect parallelism
B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Incorrect parallelism
C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Verb and Verb-ed can't be parallel
D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Correct
E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating-'originating' is correct whereas 'perpetuating' is not

@Shraddha: I face a problem when dealing with this type of questions. I get bit engrossed in deciding whether (for eg) did 'language variations' do the action of 'originating'?. Is there any other simple manner to check whether the given ED verb is verb-ed modifier or a verb? Any help is deeply appreciated.

Regards,
Heman2727



Hi Heman2727,

Very good analysis I must say. You have explained the usage of "perpetuated" and "perpetuating" pretty nicely. Keep up the good job of doing such a thorough analysis.

I would juts like to add a bit to your analysis. In choice A, usage of "perpetuated" is certainly incorrect. As you said that the "which = language variations" did the job of originating while geographic isolation did the action of perpetuating. This error can be corrected by turning "perpetuated" into a verb also. We need to add "are" before perpetuated to do so.

Now "which" will have two verbs "originate" and "are perpetuated". These entities are also correct.
So we see there can be multiple ways to correct an incorrect sentence.

Also, the easiest way to find out whether an ED word is a simple past tense verb or a verb-ed modifier is to find out whether the subject is the doer of that action or not. This will become a natural process once you have practiced well. You are already pretty good at this as I can see from your analysis.

Thanks. :)
Shraddha



Hello Shraddha,

Heman has already provided a very detailed explanation to the question, I would still like to know how "originated" is the verb here. My thought process is how can language variation (l.v) originate itself and apparently, its evident in the question stem that l.v originated from diverse.......".

Your advice will be highly solicited!

Thanks,
Saurav
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1794
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3673 [1] , given: 185

Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 13:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Smgs wrote:
egmat wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Hi eGMAT,
Going by your 'Takeaway', if the subject of the sentence IS NOT the doer of the action then is there any exception that still the verb-ed form in that sentence,IS NOT the MODIFIER...?

Can you show some examples ?


Hi Debayan,

A verb-ed word will be either a verb or a verb-ed modifier. If it is a verb, it will certainly have a Subject or some doer (if the sentence does not have any grammatical error). If it is not a verb, then the verb-ed word has to be a modifier.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha



Hello Shraddha,

I am curious to know what is the Verb for "Giant Fungus" in the above sentence. Starting "that......" is a clause and "spawned" and "extending" are Verbed and Verbing so where is the main verb for Giant Fungus?

Thanks,
Saurav


Image


Hi Saurav,

Thanks for posting your question here. :-)

Let's understand the structure of the sentence here:

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root like tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

What we really need to understand here is that "a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root like tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest" is a Noun + Noun Modifier.

Noun = a giant fungus
Noun Modifier(s) = spawned... (verb-ed modifier) and extending... (verb-ing modifier)

A Noun + Noun Modifier is never a complete clause. For more on this concept, please read the following article:
noun-noun-modifiers-before-we-start-discussing-about-the-137292.html

If you take this structure to be a clause, you will be introducing a couple of errors in the sentence.
Firstly, we will have two independent clauses joined just by "comma". This will lead to fragment error. (Remember we are talking about the correct official answer choice.)
Secondly, if "spawned" is a verb for "a giant fungus", then "is extending" should have been the correct answer choice in order to be parallel with "spawned".

"spawned" and "extending" are noun modifiers that modify the noun "a giant fungus". They both present the characteristics of this giant fungus that scientists believe to be the oldest and the largest living organism.

For example:

The book appreciated by many by a lot and creating many controversies is coming to this library also.

Here "appreciated" is the verb-ed modifier while "creating" is a verb-ing modifier.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1794
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3673 [0], given: 185

Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 09:36
Expert's post
Quote:
Hello Shraddha,

Heman has already provided a very detailed explanation to the question, I would still like to know how "originated" is the verb here. My thought process is how can language variation (l.v) originate itself and apparently, its evident in the question stem that l.v originated from diverse.......".

Your advice will be highly solicited!

Thanks,
Saurav


Image


Hi Saurav,

The meaning of the word "originate" is "rise", "begin". It is absolutely logical to say that language variations began from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages because it is not the work of one individual person or society or group or association. It happened over the due course of time but the origin of language variations is diverse ethnic and cultural heritages.

We must take the meaning of the words in the context of the sentence. Here "originated" completely makes sense.

Hope this helps :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 105

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 11:53
egmat wrote:
Quote:
Hello Shraddha,

Heman has already provided a very detailed explanation to the question, I would still like to know how "originated" is the verb here. My thought process is how can language variation (l.v) originate itself and apparently, its evident in the question stem that l.v originated from diverse.......".

Your advice will be highly solicited!

Thanks,
Saurav


Image


Hi Saurav,

The meaning of the word "originate" is "rise", "begin". It is absolutely logical to say that language variations began from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages because it is not the work of one individual person or society or group or association. It happened over the due course of time but the origin of language variations is diverse ethnic and cultural heritages.

We must take the meaning of the words in the context of the sentence. Here "originated" completely makes sense.

Hope this helps :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha



Thank you Shraddha for the detailed explanation!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2013
Posts: 20
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 18

Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 07:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Shraddha,

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root like tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

in above sentence (our basic sentence) why spawned is not modifying tentacles ? how it is modifying giant fungus?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2013
Posts: 193
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 23:51
Hi Shraddha,

I have a doubt in this sentence.
"A new textbook focused on recent advances in artificial intelligence assigned by our
instructor." here the verb ED - Focused and Assigned are verbs or Modifiers?

How to apply elitmus Test for this ED verbs. Please help in explaining this.

Regards,
Rrsnathan.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1794
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3673 [1] , given: 185

Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 06:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
atalwar wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root like tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

in above sentence (our basic sentence) why spawned is not modifying tentacles ? how it is modifying giant fungus?


Hi @atalwar,
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root like tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

To understand why “spawned” refers to “a giant fungus”, we need to understand the role of the relative pronoun clause “that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root like tentacles”.

Relative pronoun clauses are Noun Modifiers. Although they appear in a clause form, essentially they remain Noun Modifier. Now the verb-ed modifier can jump over another Noun Modifier that is placed just after the noun entity the verb-ed modifier is supposed to modify. The way the verb-ed modifier can jump over a prepositional phrase, in the same way it can jump over relative pronoun modifiers as well.

For more details on this topic, please read the following article:
noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

So, here we have “spawned”, a verb-ed modifier that refers to a faraway noun “a giant fungus”. This is a logical modification.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2013, 06:51
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Verb-ed modifier tips and new CR practice questions kirstik 0 27 Aug 2013, 09:43
42 Experts publish their posts in the topic VERB-ED MODIFIERS CANNOT JUMP OVER VERBS egmat 15 22 Aug 2013, 10:58
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Can verb-ed modifier be without a comma ? gmatter0913 11 02 Aug 2013, 07:56
89 Experts publish their posts in the topic Verb-ed modifiers Vs. Verb-ing modifiers egmat 48 06 Jan 2012, 08:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 96 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.