Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink]
Expert Reply
heman2727 wrote:
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language
variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

'Language variations...' is an absolute phrase. 'which...' and 'perpetuated..' tell us more about language variation. To check whether 'perpetuated' is a ver-ed modifier or verb? We should ask the question, Did 'language variations' do the action of perpetuation? No. 'Perpetuating was done by geographical locations. Thus 'perpetuated' is a verd-ed modifier. As there is an 'and' parallel marker, parallelism needs to be maintained. A phrase and a cluase can be parallel. 'Originated' is a verb. Usage of 'perpetuating' is also incorrect as language variations are not doing the action of 'perpetuating'. Thus D is the right answer.

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Incorrect parallelism
B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Incorrect parallelism
C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Verb and Verb-ed can't be parallel
D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Correct
E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating-'originating' is correct whereas 'perpetuating' is not

@Shraddha: I face a problem when dealing with this type of questions. I get bit engrossed in deciding whether (for eg) did 'language variations' do the action of 'originating'?. Is there any other simple manner to check whether the given ED verb is verb-ed modifier or a verb? Any help is deeply appreciated.

Regards,
Heman2727

Hi Heman2727,

Very good analysis I must say. You have explained the usage of "perpetuated" and "perpetuating" pretty nicely. Keep up the good job of doing such a thorough analysis.

I would juts like to add a bit to your analysis. In choice A, usage of "perpetuated" is certainly incorrect. As you said that the "which = language variations" did the job of originating while geographic isolation did the action of perpetuating. This error can be corrected by turning "perpetuated" into a verb also. We need to add "are" before perpetuated to do so.

Now "which" will have two verbs "originate" and "are perpetuated". These entities are also correct.
So we see there can be multiple ways to correct an incorrect sentence.

Also, the easiest way to find out whether an ED word is a simple past tense verb or a verb-ed modifier is to find out whether the subject is the doer of that action or not. This will become a natural process once you have practiced well. You are already pretty good at this as I can see from your analysis.

Thanks. :)
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi all,
Here comes the detailed solution of this problem.

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

Meaning Analysis:

Popularity of television has resulted in decline of regional dialects. Regional dialects are language variations which:
• Originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages
• Are perpetuated by geographic location

Error Analysis:

“perpetuated” is a verb-ed modifier now. It modifies “language variations”. But it is not parallel to the simple present tense verb “originate”. Hence, either we make “perpetuated” a verb by adding “are” before it because this verb needs to be in passive voice. Or we make “originate” into a noun modifier that modifies “language variations”. That word would be “originating”.

PoE:

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated: Incorrect. Same parallelism error as in choice A. But here we need “was” before “perpetuated” to make it a passive voice verb.

C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated: Incorrect.
1. “originated” is a verb here. This leads to a run-on sentence now because two independent clauses are joined just be a comma.
2. Same parallelism error as in choice B.

D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated: Correct. Here “originating” and “perpetuated” both are noun modifiers that modifies “language variations”.

E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating: Incorrect.
1. Use of “perpetuating by” is incorrect. It now denotes that the “language variations” did the action of perpetuating.
2. This choice has parallelism error. Even though “originating” and “perpetuating” look identical, they are logically not parallel.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 121
Send PM
egmat wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Hi eGMAT,
Going by your 'Takeaway', if the subject of the sentence IS NOT the doer of the action then is there any exception that still the verb-ed form in that sentence,IS NOT the MODIFIER...?

Can you show some examples ?

Hi Debayan,

A verb-ed word will be either a verb or a verb-ed modifier. If it is a verb, it will certainly have a Subject or some doer (if the sentence does not have any grammatical error). If it is not a verb, then the verb-ed word has to be a modifier.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hello Shraddha,

I am curious to know what is the Verb for "Giant Fungus" in the above sentence. Starting "that......" is a clause and "spawned" and "extending" are Verbed and Verbing so where is the main verb for Giant Fungus?

Thanks,
Saurav
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 121
Send PM
egmat wrote:
heman2727 wrote:
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language
variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

'Language variations...' is an absolute phrase. 'which...' and 'perpetuated..' tell us more about language variation. To check whether 'perpetuated' is a ver-ed modifier or verb? We should ask the question, Did 'language variations' do the action of perpetuation? No. 'Perpetuating was done by geographical locations. Thus 'perpetuated' is a verd-ed modifier. As there is an 'and' parallel marker, parallelism needs to be maintained. A phrase and a cluase can be parallel. 'Originated' is a verb. Usage of 'perpetuating' is also incorrect as language variations are not doing the action of 'perpetuating'. Thus D is the right answer.

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Incorrect parallelism
B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Incorrect parallelism
C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Verb and Verb-ed can't be parallel
D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated-Correct
E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating-'originating' is correct whereas 'perpetuating' is not

@Shraddha: I face a problem when dealing with this type of questions. I get bit engrossed in deciding whether (for eg) did 'language variations' do the action of 'originating'?. Is there any other simple manner to check whether the given ED verb is verb-ed modifier or a verb? Any help is deeply appreciated.

Regards,
Heman2727

Hi Heman2727,

Very good analysis I must say. You have explained the usage of "perpetuated" and "perpetuating" pretty nicely. Keep up the good job of doing such a thorough analysis.

I would juts like to add a bit to your analysis. In choice A, usage of "perpetuated" is certainly incorrect. As you said that the "which = language variations" did the job of originating while geographic isolation did the action of perpetuating. This error can be corrected by turning "perpetuated" into a verb also. We need to add "are" before perpetuated to do so.

Now "which" will have two verbs "originate" and "are perpetuated". These entities are also correct.
So we see there can be multiple ways to correct an incorrect sentence.

Also, the easiest way to find out whether an ED word is a simple past tense verb or a verb-ed modifier is to find out whether the subject is the doer of that action or not. This will become a natural process once you have practiced well. You are already pretty good at this as I can see from your analysis.

Thanks. :)
Shraddha

Hello Shraddha,

Heman has already provided a very detailed explanation to the question, I would still like to know how "originated" is the verb here. My thought process is how can language variation (l.v) originate itself and apparently, its evident in the question stem that l.v originated from diverse.......".

Your advice will be highly solicited!

Thanks,
Saurav
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hello Shraddha,

Heman has already provided a very detailed explanation to the question, I would still like to know how "originated" is the verb here. My thought process is how can language variation (l.v) originate itself and apparently, its evident in the question stem that l.v originated from diverse.......".

Your advice will be highly solicited!

Thanks,
Saurav

Hi Saurav,

The meaning of the word "originate" is "rise", "begin". It is absolutely logical to say that language variations began from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages because it is not the work of one individual person or society or group or association. It happened over the due course of time but the origin of language variations is diverse ethnic and cultural heritages.

We must take the meaning of the words in the context of the sentence. Here "originated" completely makes sense.

Hope this helps :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 2.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Great question Himanshu. Actually you have brought up a verb - originate - that has two possible meanings.
Meaning 1 - to create
Example 1 - Newton originated the idea of Gravitation

Meaning 2 - to come into being
Example 2 - The idea of gravitation originated from the discovery of a falling apple.

So as you can see the two meanings are pretty related to each other. In fact you can write the second example sentence in passive voice (using meaning 1 of the verb) as follows:

Example 3 - The idea of gravitation was originated by Newton when he discovered the falling apple.
Abbreviated Example 3 - The idea of gravitation was originated by Newton when he discovered the falling apple. INCORRECT
In this case the word "originated" is a verb-ed modifier. It is not a verb in past tense. In order to act as verb it needs "was".

Hope this helps with your doubt. Once again, great doubt!

Regards,
Payal

Hello Payal/e-gmat team,

I am still confused why we are not treating 'originated' as verb-ed modifier in choice C
1. Language Variations is not the doer of the action 'Originates'. Litmus test fails.

2. As per the definition of verb-ed modifier, we should be able to write verb-ed modifier in passive voice with the help of relative pronoun
The company extended the training period. (The company that was extended....does not make sense. Hence, extended is working as verb here)
The training period extended last year made interns unhappy. (The training period that was extended......makes sense. Hence, extended working as verb-ed modifier)

Now coming to the question.
Language variations originated from diverse ethnic... (Choice C)
Language variations that were originated from diverse ethnic ........ According to me the sentence makes complete sense. So, originated can be used as modifier here.

If originated is working as modifier in choice C, why Choice C is wrong ? (Originated and Perpetuated both are modifiers)

Please help where I am going wrong.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Shraddha,

Thanks for the article. I'm an e-gmat student and have a clarifying question.

In another of your e-gmat article titled 'Verb-Ed modifiers Vs. Verb-ing modifiers', it is mentioned that the Verb-ED modifier modifies the immediately preceding noun; in the case that the immediately preceding noun is non-sensical, the Verb-ED modifier would modify the immediately preceding noun phrase. Moreover, the Verb-ED modifier cannot jump over a verb to modify a noun in the subject place. In this example, how can spawned modify 'a giant fungus'? Shouldn't be it modifying the noun phrase 'an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root like tentacles'? If it were modifying 'a giant fungus', isn't it jumping over the verb 'is'?

How similar or different is this fungus example than the diabetes example in the article I cited here, in terms of the Verb-ED modifier issue?

Best,
Prital
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rxprital wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

Thanks for the article. I'm an e-gmat student and have a clarifying question.

In another of your e-gmat article titled 'Verb-Ed modifiers Vs. Verb-ing modifiers', it is mentioned that the Verb-ED modifier modifies the immediately preceding noun; in the case that the immediately preceding noun is non-sensical, the Verb-ED modifier would modify the immediately preceding noun phrase. Moreover, the Verb-ED modifier cannot jump over a verb to modify a noun in the subject place. In this example, how can spawned modify 'a giant fungus'? Shouldn't be it modifying the noun phrase 'an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root like tentacles'? If it were modifying 'a giant fungus', isn't it jumping over the verb 'is'?

How similar or different is this fungus example than the diabetes example in the article I cited here, in terms of the Verb-ED modifier issue?

Best,
Prital

Hi Prital,

That is a very good observation. :)

Let us look at the sentence.

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root like tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

You are right that "spawned" modifies "an interwoven filigree of mushrooms..."

But what according to the sentence is the "interwoven filigree of mushrooms...."?

Is it not giant fungus? :)

So, the verb-ed modifier isn't modifying "giant fungus" directly. It is modifying "interwoven filigree....". However, according to the sentence, since both "giant fungus" and "interwoven filigree..." are same, we can say that the verb-ed modifier modifies "giant fungus".

Hope this helps :)

Regards,
Krishna
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Schools: ISB '16 NUS '15
Send PM
Hi E-GMAT

Just in the reference of the above article , mainly on the how the Verb-ed modifier is derived, Could you please help me differentalting the two statement ,which are stated above and discussed in the article.

1. A leader guided his followers honestly earned immense respect from the mass.

2.Salt deposits and moisture threaten to destroy the Mohenjo-Daro excavation in Pakistan, the site of an ancient civilization that flourished at the same time as the civilizations in the Nile delta and the river valleys of Tigris and Euphrates.

So in the statement 1.is very clear that the statement is in active voice . and guided and earned these two verb are not connected properly that leads to fragment error.

No in statement 2. if we remove that , then there is only one modifier flourished,which modify "the site of an ancient civilization ".

So my confusion is how does "that" helps here to remove the fragment here?. Flourished still modifying" the the site of an ancient civilization"

Could you please help me to highlight the main verb or whole sentence structures into clauses.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Schools: ISB '16 NUS '15
Send PM
Referring to the article mainly on "How the Verb-ED modifier is derived section".There are two sentence which are discussed in the article makes me a bit confuse.

1.A leader guided his followers honestly earned immense respect from the mass.

2.(OG12-#85) Salt deposits and moisture threaten to destroy the Mohenjo-Daro excavation in Pakistan, the site of an ancient civilization [b]that flourished at the same time as the civilizations [/b]in the Nile delta and the river valleys of Tigris and Euphrates.

My analysis and query...

The Statement 1 makes it very clear that guided and earned are not connected properly and the sentence is written in Active voice . So a relative pronoun is must in this statement.

But in Statement 2 ,even if you remove "That " the modifier flourished is modifying the civilization and i didn't see any other verb-ed or verb in the sentence after "that". So the statement seems correct to me.

Could you please Highlight the clauses in the sentence 2 and correct me where i'm going wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
bagdbmba wrote:
egmat wrote:
debayan222 wrote:

Correct these sentences if you feel they are incorrect.

1. The lamp decorated the child’s room filled his room with innocent beauty. = Incorrect
Correct = The lamp that decorated the child’s room filled his room with innocent beauty.

2. A leader guided his followers earned immense respect from the masses. = Incorrect
Correct = A leader who guided his followers earned immense respect from the masses.

Hi Shradhha,
For the first sentence-did the lamp do the action of decorating on its own? I guess not! Then how this sentence "The lamp that decorated the child’s room filled his room with innocent beauty." can be correct ? Please help me understand it.

For the second sentence-if we write this as 'A leader guided his followers and earned immense respect from the masses'...Will that be wrong ? Please explain.

Much appreciate your feedback.

Hi Debayan,

I can understand where your confusion arises from. You are thinking in lines of say: Amy decorated the room. Here, there is no confusion because Amy physically performed the action of decorating the room. However, in the “lamp sentence”, the lamp physically did not do the action of decorating the room. The word “decorated” has been used more in the sense of “beautified”. The lamp made the room more beautiful.

A leader guided his followers and earned immense respect from the masses.

Grammatically, this sentence is correct. However, the meaning is slightly different here. This sentence says that the leader did two things:
a. guided his followers
b. earned respect from the masses.

Both the actions are at the same level. However, in the e-gmat sentence, the leader performed one action “earned the respect”. Guiding the followers comes as the additional information in the sentence. The action of the IC and the action of the DC are not at the same level.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

In the first sentence The lamp didnt not do the action of "Decorating" so it is modifier.
In the sentence "The lamp decorated the child’s room filled his room with innocent beauty." why we need to convert it into Relative clause by adding "that". As sentence can have modifier word and a verb right?

Please enlighten me. :(

Regards,
Rrsnathan.
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
rrsnathan wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

In the first sentence The lamp didnt not do the action of "Decorating" so it is modifier.
In the sentence "The lamp decorated the child’s room filled his room with innocent beauty." why we need to convert it into Relative clause by adding "that". As sentence can have modifier word and a verb right?

Please enlighten me. :(

Regards,
Rrsnathan.

Hi rrsnathan,

Let's take this sentence.

I decorated my room.

There is no doubt that here :decorated" is a verb because "I" - the Subject - himself/herself did the action of decorating the room.

Now let's take a look this one.

The lamp decorated the room.

Now here again, "The lamp" is the Subject and "decorated" is the Verb. Yes, this sentence is different from the sentence I presented above because here lamp is not a living being that used its hands to decorate the room. What this sentence conveys that the lamp adorned the room.

Now let's take the sentence that has confused you:

The lamp decorated the child’s room filled his room with innocent beauty.

Here again,
decorated" has been used in the same manner as it has been used in the second example presented above. So "decorated" is a verb here and Not a modifier. But again, there is one more Verb for the Subject "The lamp". That is "filled". A Subject CAN definitely have two Verbs, but they must be connected properly through a conjunction. We just CANNOT write two Verbs for one Subject side by side without joining them with a conjunction. So that's the problem here. We must do something so that the sentence remains grammatical. So there are multiple ways of doing that:

1. The lamp that decorated the child’s room filled his room with innocent beauty.
2. The lamp decorating the child’s room filled his room with innocent beauty.
3. The lamp decorated the child’s room and filled his room with innocent beauty.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: NUS '15
Send PM
Hi @egmat/Shraddha,
One question regarding the litmus test. In one of the sentence for practice - "Our powers of color vision derive from cells in our eyes called cones, three types in all, each triggered by different wavelengths of light."- we concluded that "called" is a modifier as action of calling is not done by cells. This makes sense.

However, I was trying to apply the same concept to another usage of "called" and got confused. What is called in the sentence below :
"I am called Ravi."
Isn't "am called" the verb of the sentence? But if I apply the litmus test here, it would suggest that called is a modifier as the action of calling is still not done by the subject - "I". Right?

Am I making any mistake here? It would be great if you could help me clarify my doubt.

Thanks,
UrsTruly
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 3: 570 Q47 V23
GMAT 4: 620 Q49 V24
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Sinner1706 wrote:
Sinner1706 wrote:
Hi Shraddha/E-Gmat Team,

Understood the concept on Verb-ed Modifiers. Could you clarify the below question, in line with Verb-ing modifiers

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating

Another question, which is an entire opposite of the above question but tests the Verb+ing and the Verb+ed Modifiers to the hilt. The similarities and the differences in two questions, will help make the concept crystal clear.

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached
the observer’s meridian and differing
from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

A. which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
B. which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and which differed
C. which were determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
D. determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differed
E. determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing

Whats the OA BTW.. Is it B in first Qs and E in second question? Good questions..just need the answer to cement the understanding on Verb-ed & Verb-ing. :roll:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I couldn't really follow how "extending" could be the right answer . I feel even the choice "Extending " as a verb in the present continuous form & not as a verb modifier .Kindly help here to clarify
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
egmat wrote:
This is the word document for the sections "How Verb-ed Modifier is derived" and "how can this help you answer GMAT SC questions?" and detailed solution of the Exercise.
Thanks.

FIRST OF ALL A NICE EXPLANATION GIVEN BY e-GMAT, but iw would be very kind of you, if you can help me with this...

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
(B) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and which differed
(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
(D) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differed
(E) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing

After reading e-gmat explanation, i was able to eliminate a/b/c options....Now the problem is between D/E. I am unable to find out whether in phrase local times differed from city to city( is the action of differing being done by local times or .......??) in first modifier its clearly mentioned local times determined BY, which makes easy to spot beacause of preposition By used which clearly tells that action has been done by some external factor, but in case of differed , it becomes complicated....

Please help ....@e-gmat
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatify17 wrote:

FIRST OF ALL A NICE EXPLANATION GIVEN BY e-GMAT, but iw would be very kind of you, if you can help me with this...

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
(B) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and which differed
(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
(D) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differed
(E) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing

After reading e-gmat explanation, i was able to eliminate a/b/c options....Now the problem is between D/E. I am unable to find out whether in phrase local times differed from city to city( is the action of differing being done by local times or .......??) in first modifier its clearly mentioned local times determined BY, which makes easy to spot beacause of preposition By used which clearly tells that action has been done by some external factor, but in case of differed , it becomes complicated....

Please help ....@e-gmat

Hello gmatify17,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

In Choice D, the word differed is a verb because the local the local times themselves differed from city to city.

Let me present a simple example sentence to make the usage clear.

Local time differs in each of the six time zones in the Unites States.

My project differs from yours in its approach towards problem solving.

In both the above-mentioned sentences, differs acts as a verb.

Same is the usage of the word in simple past tense in Choice D. Hence, this choice stands incorrect because the modifier determined and the verb differed cannot be grammatically parallel.

Choice E rectifies this error by replacing the verb differed with the modifier differing.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Originally posted by egmat on 28 Sep 2017, 02:57.
Last edited by egmat on 28 Sep 2017, 03:18, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts