Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Editor: We use the computer to check the length of our

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 68 [2] , given: 14

Editor: We use the computer to check the length of our [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 18:10
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (02:07) correct 26% (01:13) wrong based on 165 sessions
Editor: We use the computer to check the length of our articles, but surprisingly there is good reason to believe that the word count it provides is inaccurate. Several times when an article's words were carefully counted by our most reliable copy editor, the resulting count differed from the count the computer gave

The editor's reasoning relies on which of the following assumptions?

A) the criteria that the computer uses in determining what constitutes a single word differ from the criteria that the copy editor uses
B) the inaccuracy of the computer's word count does not result from a malfunction of the computer itself
C) it would be possible to modify the computer so that it counted words more accurately
D) a careful count by the copy editor is unlikely to be less accurate than the computer's count
E) the accuracy of the computer's word count is not dependent on the length of the article that it is measuring
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Never Never Never GIVE UP !!
Consider KUDOS in case I was able to help you.

Last edited by Zarrolou on 02 May 2013, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 3

Re: Editor: We use the computer to check the length of our [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 20:17
Let’s look at the relevant information to solve this question:
Premise: Both computer and most reliable copy editor counted the words in an article and the counts are different.
Conclusion: the computer is inaccurate.
We need to question that "why couldn't the human editor be wrong?” .So any assumption pointing in this direction will be the correct answer.

Now choice D) (a careful count by the copy editor is unlikely to be less accurate than the computer's count) says exactly what we mentioned above and hence is the correct answer.

The Kudo please :)

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1373 [0], given: 122

Re: Editor: We use the computer to check the length of our [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 20:47
CharuKapoor wrote:
Editor: We use the computer to check the length of our articles, but surprisingly there is good reason to believe that the word count it provides is inaccurate. Several times when an article's words were carefully counted by our most reliable copy editor, the resulting count differed from the count the computer gave

A) the criteria that the computer uses in determining what constitutes a single word differ from the criteria that the copy editor uses
B) the inaccuracy of the computer's word count does not result from a malfunction of the computer itself
C) it would be possible to modify the computer so that it counted words more accurately
D) a careful count by the copy editor is unlikely to be less accurate than the computer's count
E) the accuracy of the computer's word count is not dependent on the length of the article that it is measuring

IMO, D is correct.

If we negate D, the conclusion is not hold.
Conclusion: computer provides word count inaccurate (because the resulting count differed from the count the copy editor gave)
Assumption: the copy editor is unlikely to be less accurate than the computer's count

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: Editor: We use the computer to check the length of our [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
CharuKapoor wrote:

Given Argument: Word count provided by a computer and a reliable copy editor differ frequently. So the count given by computer is incorrect.

Option A: the criteria that the computer uses in determining what constitutes a single word differ from the criteria that the copy editor uses.
If this is correct, then the copy editor could have been asked to count with the same criteria in mind so that they can actually check the word count given by the computer.
Hence option A is incorrect.

Option B: the inaccuracy of the computer's word count does not result from a malfunction of the computer itself.
The editor believes that the computer is inaccurate but he neither implied nor based his belief on the premise that the computer is malfunctioning.
Hence option B is incorrect.

Option C: it would be possible to modify the computer so that it counted words more accurately.
Again same reasoning as the previous option. He believed that the computer is inaccurate but didn't have any idea about reason behind it.
Hence option C is incorrect.

Option D: a careful count by the copy editor is unlikely to be less accurate than the computer's count.
This means that the editor believed in the accuracy of his copy editor more than a computer and this in fact seems to be the case. When comparing the word count given by the computer to that of the copy editor, he didn't take into account the possibility that the copy editor might have been wrong. This led to his conclusion that the computer is inaccurate at times.
Therefore option D is correct.

Option E: the accuracy of the computer's word count is not dependent on the length of the article that it is measuring.
The dependency of the computer's accuracy on the word count hasn't been mentioned anywhere and the editor himself doesn't have any idea about the discrepancies between the results.
Hence option E is incorrect.

The correct option is D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Re: Editor: We use the computer to check the length of our [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 10:08
D is correct..

Reasoning: careful counting by most reliable copy editor produces an accurate measure to compare against any other counting source.

- "editor could say that we already know that fact and even after the final calculation, there is a diffference - such as one thermometer can give a reading in celsius while other in farenheit , each one will be considered correct in reation to each other as long as C to F conversion or vice versa equates to same value."

"editor will say , i dont care what is producing this inaccurate count from the computer , but i do know that it is producing inaccurate count and the reason could be 'malfunction of the computer or not "

Negating the statement -
the inaccuracy of the computer's word count results from the malfunction of the computer itself" - doesn't effect the argument - "editor could say - i knew that , i have believed it that was the reason"

so this statement is not necessarily true as it can go either way

"irrelevant - the point in question is whether computer counts accurately or not"

negate this -
"a careful count by the copy editor is unlikely to be as accurate as or more than the computer's count"

This makes the argument fall apart because copy editor is no longer reliable source for comparing accuracy - Hence correct

E) the accuracy of the computer's word count is not dependent on the length of the article that it is being measured

"editor would say - we dont care about what the computer's word count depends on,but we do care that it gives us correct counts.It may take into consideration whatever parameters it has to take to do so"

giving kudos is the best thing you can do for me..

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Editor: We use the computer to check the length of our [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 08:21
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Editor: We use the computer to check the length of our   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2014, 08:21