Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Editorial: In Ledland, unemployed adults receive government

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [1] , given: 0

Editorial: In Ledland, unemployed adults receive government [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 17:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

55% (02:18) correct 45% (02:00) wrong based on 7 sessions
Editorial:
In Ledland, unemployed adults receive government assistance. To reduce
unemployment, the government proposes to supplement the income of those who accept jobs that pay less than government assistance, thus enabling employers to hire workers cheaply. However, the supplement will not raise any worker’s income above what government assistance would provide if he or she were not gainfully employed. Therefore, unemployed people will have no financial incentive to accept jobs that would entitle them to the supplement.

Which of the following, if true about Ledland, most seriously weakens the argument of the editorial?

A. The government collects no taxes on assistance it provides to unemployed individuals and their families.
B. Neighboring countries with laws that mandate the minimum wage an employer must pay an employee have higher unemployment rates than Ledland currently has.
C. People who are employed and look for a new job tend to get higher-paying jobs than job seekers who are unemployed.
D. The yearly amount unemployed people receive from government assistance is less than the yearly income that the government defines as the poverty level.
E. People sometimes accept jobs that pay relatively little simply because they enjoy the work.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 18:02
Initially I thought A but then I realized "A" is talking about "unemployed individuals" and not about newly employed people who were unemployed.

If I negate A then only relevant option left is C.

Once unemployed become employed, they may look for a new job that may offer them higher salary.....

I am going with C.

- Brajesh
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: CR [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 18:56
bkk145 wrote:
Editorial: In Ledland, unemployed adults receive government assistance. To reduce unemployment, the government proposes to supplement the income of those who accept jobs that pay less than government assistance, thus enabling employers to hire workers cheaply. However, the supplement will not raise any worker’s income above what government assistance would provide if he or she were not gainfully employed. Therefore, unemployed people will have no financial incentive to accept jobs that would entitle them to the supplement.

Which of the following, if true about Ledland, most seriously weakens the argument of the editorial?

A. The government collects no taxes on assistance it provides to unemployed individuals and their families.
B. Neighboring countries with laws that mandate the minimum wage an employer must pay an employee have higher unemployment rates than Ledland currently has.
C. People who are employed and look for a new job tend to get higher-paying jobs than job seekers who are unemployed.
D. The yearly amount unemployed people receive from government assistance is less than the yearly income that the government defines as the poverty level.
E. People sometimes accept jobs that pay relatively little simply because they enjoy the work.

C. very ideal Gmat question.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 20:05
down to C and E...

i think C makes the cut..E is weak cause it says "some"..
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 21:04
OA=C
thanks guys.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 21:12
bkk145 wrote:
Editorial:
unemployment, the government proposes to supplement the income of those who accept jobs that pay less than government assistance, thus enabling employers to hire workers cheaply. However, the supplement will not raise any worker’s income above what government assistance would provide if he or she were not gainfully employed. Therefore, unemployed people will have no financial incentive to accept jobs that would entitle them to the supplement.

E.
The statment assumes that people should be employed only for income.
E states that may prompt people to take up because they like rather than for the sole purpose of getting payed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 09:52
bkk145 wrote:
Editorial:

A. The government collects no taxes on assistance it provides to unemployed individuals and their families. (This is an incentive not to get a job, as they would be paying taxes on their earnings as opposed to having a full tax free employment)

B. Neighboring countries with laws that mandate the minimum wage an employer must pay an employee have higher unemployment rates than Ledland currently has.(wrong country)

C. People who are employed and look for a new job tend to get higher-paying jobs than job seekers who are unemployed.(an incentive to get a job, because it will eventually lead to higher pay --good)

D. The yearly amount unemployed people receive from government assistance is less than the yearly income that the government defines as the poverty level. (poverty level is outside of the scope)

E. People sometimes accept jobs that pay relatively little simply because they enjoy the work. (we are looking for economic benefits, so outside of the scope)

Answer C

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 36

Re: CR [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 20:08
A is actually strengthening - "assistance is good. No financial incentive on the job"

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: CR [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 20:27
i do not see anyother option strengthening the argument other than C so i think C is the answer, what is the OA
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 36

Re: CR [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 20:52
Sorry I was reasoning why A is NOT an answer :-)

Which of the following, if true about Ledland, most seriously [highlight]weakens[/highlight] the argument of the editorial?

paresh124 wrote:
i do not see anyother option strengthening the argument other than C so i think C is the answer, what is the OA

Please press kudos if you like my post.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 6

Re: CR [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 17:19
C for me.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Editorial: In Ledland, unemployed adults receive government [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2014, 07:16
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Editorial: In Ledland, unemployed adults receive government   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2014, 07:16