Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 05:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Editorial: In order to preserve the health of its local

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [3] , given: 22

Editorial: In order to preserve the health of its local [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 17:05
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

50% (02:52) correct 50% (01:49) wrong based on 26 sessions
Editorial: In order to preserve the health of its local economy, Metropolis should not permit a Costmart warehouse department store to open within city limits. Its has been demonstrated that when Costmart opens a warehouse department store within a city, the bankruptcy rate of local retailers increases in that city by twenty percent over the next several years.
Which of the following questions would be most useful for evaluating the conclusion of the editorial:
a. Does the bankruptcy rate of local retailers in a city generally stabilize several years after a Costmart warehouse department store opens ?
b. Do most residents of Metropolis currently do almost all of their shopping at stores within the city limits of Metropolis?
c. Have other cities that have permitted Costmart warehouse department stores within city limits experienced any economic benefits as a result?
d. Is the bankruptcy rate of local retailers in Metropolis higher than in the average city that has permitted a costmart warehouse department store within city limits?
e. Does Costmart plan to hire employees exclusively from within Metropolis for the proposed warehouse department store?

Need help on what to look for and a methodical approach to solve such kind of questions... OA will be revealed l8r...

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 107

Kudos [?]: 608 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Bomber CR: Metropolis should not permit a Costmart in city.. [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 18:40
joshnsit wrote:
Editorial: In order to preserve the health of its local economy, Metropolis should not permit a Costmart warehouse department store to open within city limits. Its has been demonstrated that when Costmart opens a warehouse department store within a city, the bankruptcy rate of local retailers increases in that city by twenty percent over the next several years.
Which of the following questions would be most useful for evaluating the conclusion of the editorial:
a. Does the bankruptcy rate of local retailers in a city generally stabilize several years after a Costmart warehouse department store opens ?
b. Do most residents of Metropolis currently do almost all of their shopping at stores within the city limits of Metropolis?
c. Have other cities that have permitted Costmart warehouse department stores within city limits experienced any economic benefits as a result?
d. Is the bankruptcy rate of local retailers in Metropolis higher than in the average city that has permitted a costmart warehouse department store within city limits?
e. Does Costmart plan to hire employees exclusively from within Metropolis for the proposed warehouse department store?

Need help on what to look for and a methodical approach to solve such kind of questions... OA will be revealed l8r...

IMO (C)
If the answer is "yes," then the author's claim is weakened, but if the answer is "no" then the editorial is strengthened.

(A),(B) are irrelevant. (D) doesn't tell us whether a high bankruptcy rate is more or less likely to increase even further.
Eliminated (E) solely for use of the term "exclusively".

Legendary Collections
1. 700 Level Quant 2. IIM Quant 3. 100 CR from LSAT 4. 100 Legendary SC 5. 5000 Practice problems 6.125 Quant 7. 38 SC 8. 10 Full Length GMAT Pen&Paper Tests
9. 1500+ RC 10. 100 Legendary CR 11. Additional Verbal Qs 12. Additional Quant Qs

My debrief |Free essay review initiative
PM me for One-on-One Webex Tutoring

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Bomber CR: Metropolis should not permit a Costmart in city.. [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 21:11
MGMAT Says OA C

And I think it may be because if stores go bankrupt does that destroy the economy as a whole

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

2 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 236

Kudos [?]: 576 [2] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bomber CR: Metropolis should not permit a Costmart in city.. [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 01:46
This post received
KUDOS
joshnsit wrote:

I call these questions "policy proposal" questions, and they always follow the same pattern. Someone suggests a certain course of action (here "don't let Costmart in") and outlines a very specific objective of that course of action (here "in order to preserve the local economy"). Regardless of what the question asks (strengthen/weaken/evaluate), the right answer will almost always be directly related to the specific objective of the policy. So that's the part of the question I zero in on.

Here the argument goes: we don't want Costmart. Why? Bankruptcy goes up. Therefore the local economy will suffer. Well, "higher bankruptcy rate" is not precisely the same thing as "local economy suffers". Maybe the local economy will be helped in other ways, ways that make up for the higher bankruptcy rate. That's why C is the best answer here.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 75

Re: Bomber CR: Metropolis should not permit a Costmart in city.. [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 04:17
i agree with legendaddy...(C) is the right choice

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 22

Re: Bomber CR: Metropolis should not permit a Costmart in city.. [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 00:02
OA is C. @Ian, Thanks for the approach.
IanStewart wrote:
joshnsit wrote:
I call these questions "policy proposal" questions, and they always follow the same pattern. Someone suggests a certain course of action (here "don't let Costmart in") and outlines a very specific objective of that course of action (here "in order to preserve the local economy"). Regardless of what the question asks (strengthen/weaken/evaluate), the right answer will almost always be directly related to the specific objective of the policy. So that's the part of the question I zero in on.

Here the argument goes: we don't want Costmart. Why? Bankruptcy goes up. Therefore the local economy will suffer. Well, "higher bankruptcy rate" is not precisely the same thing as "local economy suffers". Maybe the local economy will be helped in other ways, ways that make up for the higher bankruptcy rate. That's why C is the best answer here.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bomber CR: Metropolis should not permit a Costmart in city.. [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 00:13
IanStewart wrote:
joshnsit wrote:

Picked B.
But after reading IanStewart's explanation, I pick C.
Thank you Ian.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Editorial: In order to preserve the health of its local [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 11:01
Expert's post
New Gmat club project
Click here

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Last edited by dentobizz on 22 Nov 2013, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
updated theory articles
Re: Editorial: In order to preserve the health of its local   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2013, 11:01