Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Editorial: In order to preserve the health of its local

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [4] , given: 282

Editorial: In order to preserve the health of its local [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 23:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (02:26) correct 61% (01:23) wrong based on 218 sessions
Editorial: In order to preserve the health of its local economy, Metropolis should
not permit a CostMart warehouse department store to open within city limits.
It has been demonstrated that when CostMart opens a warehouse department
store within a city, the bankruptcy rate of local retailers increases in that city by
twenty percent over the next several years.

Which of the following questions would be most useful for evaluating the conclusion
of the Editorial?

(A) Does the bankruptcy rate of local retailers in a city generally stabilize several
years after a CostMart warehouse department store opens?

(B) Do most residents of Metropolis currently do almost all of their shopping at
stores within the city limits of Metropolis?

(C) Have other cities that have permitted CostMart warehouse department
stores within city limits experienced any economic benefits as a result?

(D) Is the bankruptcy rate for local retailers in Metropolis higher than in the average
city that has permitted a CostMart warehouse department store within
city limits?

(E) Does CostMart plan to hire employees exclusively from within Metropolis for
the proposed warehouse department store?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Last edited by rajathpanta on 12 Jan 2013, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [3] , given: 29

Re: Editorial: In order to preserve the health [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 11:00
This post received
KUDOS
I believe the answer is C. Here is my explanation:

The questions states that when CostMart opens in a city, stores in that city go bankrupt at an increasing rate. Because of this, CostMart should not be allowed to open in Metropolis. To evaluate this claim, one must ask whether or not anything else has happened. For example, if CostMart is causing local retailers to go bankrupt, but providing more jobs and lower prices than those local retailers, that positive may outweigh the negative of the bankruptcy.

C perfectly answers the question. If there are economic benefits that result from CostMart opening, that may outweigh any negatives associated with CostMart's opening.

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [3] , given: 697

Re: Editorial: In order to preserve the health [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 18:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
commdiver wrote:

The questions states that when CostMart opens in a city, stores in that city go bankrupt at an increasing rate. Because of this, CostMart should not be allowed to open in Metropolis. To evaluate this claim, one must ask whether or not anything else has happened. For example, if CostMart is causing local retailers to go bankrupt, but providing more jobs and lower prices than those local retailers, that positive may outweigh the negative of the bankruptcy.

C perfectly answers the question. If there are economic benefits that result from CostMart opening, that may outweigh any negatives associated with CostMart's opening.

Commdiver is right. C is the answer because make strong and weak at the same time the question posed

basically the argument says if the costmart opening is good or bad. we know that only and if only we can compare a previous situation, similar, in another area. is logic guys

(A) Does the bankruptcy rate of local retailers in a city generally stabilize severalyears after a CostMart warehouse department store opens? doesn't help

(B) Do most residents of Metropolis currently do almost all of their shopping at stores within the city limits of Metropolis? is not the point

(C) Have other cities that have permitted CostMart warehouse department stores within city limits experienced any economic benefits as a result? if true is better avoiding to permit Costmart to open because it hurts our economy. If is not true, come in Cost mart maybe we can have advantages from this: new hiring and so on

(D) Is the bankruptcy rate for local retailers in Metropolis higher than in the average city that has permitted a CostMart warehouse department store within city limits? well is not useful. we are talking about bankruptcy itself not the average between to city

(E) Does CostMart plan to hire employees exclusively from within Metropolis forthe proposed warehouse department store? exclusively is not the point to make stronger or weaker the argument conclusion

Try to figure out ALWAYS what's going on for the argument at stake. always. this is really an upper level question. do not dive into the options too earlier, try to make the argument simple and do some assumption or to understand the whole picture
Hope this helps

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1198 [2] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Editorial: In order to preserve the health of its local [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 05:06
This post received
KUDOS
gmatprep2011 wrote:
(B) Do most residents of Metropolis currently do almost all of their shopping at stores within the city limits of Metropolis?

If yes - CostMart opening outside the city may make the plan unsuccessful as people will go outside the city and shop
If no - CostMart opening outside the city may make the plan successful as people will not go outside the city and shop

I know OA is C. With the above logic, why can B not be the answer? Thanks in advance.

We do not want to evaluate if the CostMart will be successful. We want to evaluate this sentence:
"In order to preserve the health of its local economy, Metropolis should not permit a CostMart warehouse department store to open within city limits."

So the argument says: because the CostMart will open, so local economy will suffer.

(C) Have other cities that have permitted CostMart warehouse department stores within city limits experienced any economic benefits as a result?
C asks that, even tough the bankruptcy rate of local retailers increased, the OVERALL economy benefits as a result of the opening. So the local economy as result will not suffer. So even a single result is negative, the sum of all consequences is positive.

(B) Do most residents of Metropolis currently do almost all of their shopping at stores within the city limits of Metropolis?
YES/NO, it's not important which answer this question receives. We can only establish whether residents shops within the city limits, not enough to say that the local economy will suffer as result of the opening.

Hope I've explained myself well

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 282

Re: Editorial: In order to preserve the health [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 04:36
jgomey wrote:
rajathpanta wrote:
Editorial: In order to preserve the health of its local economy, Metropolis should
store within a city, the bankruptcy rate of local retailers increases in that city by

Which of the following questions would be most useful for evaluating the conclusion
of the Editorial?

(A) Does the bankruptcy rate of local retailers in a city generally stabilize several

(B) Do most residents of Metropolis currently do almost all of their shopping at

(D) Is the bankruptcy rate for local retailers in Metropolis higher than in the average
city limits?

OA later....

I am thinking it may be D..

Pls post your explanation It will be helpful for all others in the forum too.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

Re: Editorial: In order to preserve the health [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 11:37
rajathpanta wrote:

of the Editorial?

city limits?

OA later....

The the argument assumes that a one sample is representative of all samples. So if the sample described-retailers in metropolis-is the same as all other retailers, then the new shopping center may have an impact. But if the sample is not the same as all other retailers, then maybe the new shopping center will not have an impact.

D differentiates metropolis retailers from other retailers, fitting the assumption I described.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

Re: Editorial: In order to preserve the health [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 11:52
commdiver wrote:

Hmmm but how would you address D?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Editorial: In order to preserve the health [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 13:25
rajathpanta wrote:

of the Editorial?

i think option(

city limits?

OA later....

i think option (A) (Does the bankruptcy rate of local retailers in a city generally stabilize several
years after a CostMart warehouse department store opens?)serves as the best answer..the authors conclusion is in support of costmart's opening as being the major cause of bankruptcy of the retailers within city limits for the next several years;signifying,as put by the editorial,that the economy stabilizes after those years..so option A asks a question that is checking the probability of costmart's responsibility on economic recession of local people in a way that it asks a question whether or not that the economy stabilises after several years after costmart's opening..if it is the economy does not stabilise after those several years then costmart is not responsible for any recession,the converse is true.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Said (D)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Sales (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Editorial: In order to preserve the health [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 07:39
C is the only answer which approaches the problem correctly. But in my opinion the usage of benefits is not correct. It should rather be avoid the negative consequences of a new mart

Hodor?

Kudo!

Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 50

Re: Editorial: In order to preserve the health of its local [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 04:51
rajathpanta wrote:

of the Editorial?

city limits?

If yes - CostMart opening outside the city may make the plan unsuccessful as people will go outside the city and shop
If no - CostMart opening outside the city may make the plan successful as people will not go outside the city and shop

I know OA is C. With the above logic, why can B not be the answer? Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 291

Re: Editorial: In order to preserve the health of its local [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 19:58
I am having a problem understanding the OE. The argument is all about the local retailers getting affected and not the economy of the city. Sure if Cost Mart opens shop it is going to hire a lot of people, it might even hire people who have been laid off from the bankrupt retailers. But what about the local retailers, aren't they still bankrupt? Isn't that what the question is all about.?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 105

CAT Tests
Re: Editorial: In order to preserve the health of its local [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 20:48
but in C aren't we talking about another city? Then how can we assume that the economic benefits in that city will amount to the benefits in this city?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Editorial: In order to preserve the health of its local [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 21:18
mahendru1992 wrote:
but in C aren't we talking about another city? Then how can we assume that the economic benefits in that city will amount to the benefits in this city?

Hi mahendru1992,

Read this part of the argument:

The statement is a generalized statement applicable to all cities. Citing this fact, if any such city that permitted CostMart warehouse department
stores within city limits has experienced any economic benefits, it is likely that same economic benefits will be experienced by other cities that permit CostMart warehouse department stores within city limits. Hence option C stands

Hope it clear :)

Kudos plz if it helped

Re: Editorial: In order to preserve the health of its local   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2013, 21:18