Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

education poll

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

education poll [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 09:21
Journalist: Although a recent poll found that more than half of all eligible voters support the idea of a political party whose primary concern is education, only 26 percent would like to join it, and only 16 percent would be prepared to donate money to it. Furthermore, there is overwhelming historical evidence that only a party that has at least 30 percent of eligible voters prepared to support it by either joining it or donating money to it is viable in the long run. Therefore, it is unlikely that an education party is viable in the long run.

The reasoning in the journalist's argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that the argument fails to consider that

a-some of those who said they were willing to donate money to an education party might not actually do so if such a party were formed

b-an education party could possibly be viable with a smaller base than is customarily needed

c-the 16 percent of eligible voters prepared to donate money to an education party might donate almost as much money as a party would ordinarily expect to get if 30 percent of eligible voters contributed

d-a party needs the appropriate support of at least 30 percent of eligible voters in order to be viable and more than half of all eligible voters support the idea of an education party

e-some of the eligible voters who would donate money to an education party might not be prepared to join such a party
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 10:07
IMO none of the above.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 10:09
by poe i get c

1-weakens d arguement
2-against premises
4-jus states d premises again
5-out of scope
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 10:57
12345678 wrote:
by poe i get c

1-weakens d arguement
2-against premises
4-jus states d premises again
5-out of scope

C does not make sense to me either because of actual examples from the past (ie Ross Perot). Bill Gates or Warren Buffet could decide to form their own "education party", and donate their whole fortune to their party, that amount of money would be 1000s of time more than what the Dems and the Repubs parties have, but that would not make an "education party" which consists of only 2 men (or a handful of rich men) viable in the long run.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 15:25
Could it be B ?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 06:55
anyone else have a suggestion for the right answer with a possible explanation?
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 07:09
Another C. Concur with 123. GMATNUB - while what you say is perfectly valid - on the GMAT typically we need to choose the best amongst the worst if it comes to that. However C seems perfectly valid because at least one of the criterion for the party to be succesful in the long run would be met if the 16 people together provide enough moolah to counter 30.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 07:15
I think it is quite straight - 'C'
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 09:08
The conclusion here is that a political party can't be successful without 30% support (made up of donating members and participating members)

The stem states that we have 26% who want to join and 16% who want to donate. I believe the trap in C is assuming that all those who want to donate also want to join, thereby giving the party 26% support ie. unsuccessful. However, if 10% donate and don't join the party, and 26% join as stated in the stem; the party has 36% support - success!

E articulates this I think.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 07:22
OA is E...thanks to everyone that posted...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: education poll [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 07:37
It should be 'E'.

As per 'E', there is no 100% overlap between the set of voters who would donate money and the set of voters who would join and hence the percent of voters may exceed 30 %.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 10:19
Actually I think GMATNUB is right. I didn't realize that when the choice says SOME of the members who are willing to donate may not join the party - the SOME could actually include ALL of the 16% who are willing to donate MAY NOT JOIN the party and if this happens the corum of 30% will NOT be met and the party will not be viable.

BUT NOW COMES THE TWIST - HOW IS THIS CHOICE WEAKENING THE AUTHOR'S POINT? THE AUTHOR SAYS THE PARTY IS NOT VIABLE ANY WHICH WAY AND CHOICE E IS BUTTRESSING THIS FACT.

in fact none of the choices seems correct as pointed by GMATNUB earlier.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 21:09
  [#permalink] 02 Oct 2007, 21:09