Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

edvento - anyone heard of it? is it good?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

edvento - anyone heard of it? is it good? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 07:57
thnx!
j:)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sloan '16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: edvento - anyone heard of it? is it good? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 22:39
Yes I am also looking any info about edvento/ grockit ??

Plus what advantages does egmat Verbal Live Prep has over E gmat verbal Online, if any.

e gmat folks, please guide

Plus where can I find the review of both these products.

Plus there is a difference in the details when mentioned on GMATclub page and e GMAT website.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1240

Kudos [?]: 3422 [0], given: 183

Re: edvento - anyone heard of it? is it good? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2013, 11:04
Expert's post
Hi, Just saw this message. Here is the difference:

Please read below to understand the difference between Verbal Live Prep and Verbal Online offerings.

Verbal Online costs $199 and includes all our e-Learning courses in SC, CR, RC, and Integrated Reasoning. Basically, the free trial that you have been going through is a part of Verbal Online. Click hereto know more about Verbal Online. If you have not taken the free trial, then click hereto know more about how to access the same.

Verbal Live Prep includes everything that Verbal Online offers and adds 36 hours of live sessions. So essentially, Verbal Live Prep = Verbal Online + 36 hours of live sessions + recordings of the live sessions. In addition, Verbal Live Prep also includes are unique workshops on GMAT SC and GMAT Verbal. For re-takers, Verbal Live Prep also offers a 4-point score improvement guarantee. Click hereto know more about Verbal Live Prep.

Both courses are excellent choices and have produced great success. Verbal Online is the world’s most reviewed online course.

You get the same course, regardless of whether you purchase it through GMATClub or our website. Click herefor reviews.

640-to-750-how-i-braved-myself-and-won-over-the-gmat-ghost-156812.html
770-my-strategies-that-helped-me-ace-gmat-156653.html

-Rajat

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 306

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: edvento - anyone heard of it? is it good? [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 00:40
Edvento doesn't have to offer much as far as GMAT preparation is concerned.

Here are the few reasons why Edvento doesn't comply with GMAT:

(1). Most questions are related to %ages,SI/CI, and other word problems.Questions on Numbers are minimal which is contradictory with the GMAT.

(2). Level of questions is unnecessarily high.GMAT Club has a high level of questions but GMAt club pertain to the GMAT type questions. However, such is not the case with edvento.

(3). Timer provided is not relevant as you will end up having 10 minutes to spare.

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 55 [1] , given: 14

Re: edvento - anyone heard of it? is it good? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 00:36
This post received
KUDOS
targetgmatchotu wrote:
Edvento doesn't have to offer much as far as GMAT preparation is concerned.

Here are the few reasons why Edvento doesn't comply with GMAT:

(1). Most questions are related to %ages,SI/CI, and other word problems.Questions on Numbers are minimal which is contradictory with the GMAT.

(2). Level of questions is unnecessarily high.GMAT Club has a high level of questions but GMAt club pertain to the GMAT type questions. However, such is not the case with edvento.

(3). Timer provided is not relevant as you will end up having 10 minutes to spare.

Rgds,
TGC!

Hi targetgmatchotu,

I'm one of the co-founders of Edvento. Let me reply to your points.

(1). The Edvento engine has equal number of question in the 3 different sections (Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry). As you will all know, questions in number properties come under arithmetic. More than 40% of the arithmetic questions test concepts in Number Properties. So, I would advice you to keep practicing. The engine will throw those questions. You will have to get questions on all different concepts that the GMAT tests for the system to gauge your proficiencies in each of them.

(2). You must know that that the difficulty levels of the actual GMAT is 2 notches higher than that in the GMATPrep or OG. The Engine has questions in varied difficulty levels and we admit that our high difficulty level questions are tougher than what you might get in the OG. But that is for a reason. The system being purely adaptive, understands your weakness and throws you more questions from that concept that you need to practice more... thereby helping you focus on your weakness and improve. Also, the Edvento predicted score is between 10 points of what you might score on the actual GMAT.

I would love for all of you to contribute with your suggestions to make Edvento the best adaptive learning portal for the GMAT. Do try it out and see for yourself.

Regards,

Shouvik.

Shouvik
http://www.Edvento.com
admin@edvento.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 22

Re: edvento - anyone heard of it? is it good? [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 07:07
Hows the pack?? Guess they come in addition to e-gmat packages???
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.96
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 126

Re: edvento - anyone heard of it? is it good? [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 07:31
This post received
KUDOS
Well, I guess I should throw my 2 cents in this discussion... I am certainly one of the Very satisfied customers from Edvento. I have improved from 480 to 650 and I would give full credit to Edvento for this jump.

A few things which I can certainly vouch for are:
1) They give special attention to individual preparation. They helped me analyse my mocks and gave me several useful insights.
2) Shouvik and Nitin, as I recall were always (and I mean always) there for support through out my association with them (from December 2012 to March 2013)
3) Shouvik's CR and Nitin's Quant and SC guidance were definitely first rate ( and then it obviously depends on the student to take the most from, for that matter, any test prep company)

For more take on this discussion you could PM me!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 14

Re: edvento - anyone heard of it? is it good? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 00:02
akhilright wrote:
Well, I guess I should throw my 2 cents in this discussion... I am certainly one of the Very satisfied customers from Edvento. I have improved from 480 to 650 and I would give full credit to Edvento for this jump.

A few things which I can certainly vouch for are:
1) They give special attention to individual preparation. They helped me analyse my mocks and gave me several useful insights.
2) Shouvik and Nitin, as I recall were always (and I mean always) there for support through out my association with them (from December 2012 to March 2013)
3) Shouvik's CR and Nitin's Quant and SC guidance were definitely first rate ( and then it obviously depends on the student to take the most from, for that matter, any test prep company)

For more take on this discussion you could PM me!

Thanks "akhilright" for the feedback.. We're glad it worked well for you and all the best for your B-school application.

Shouvik
admin@edvento.com

Manager
Manager

Re: edvento - anyone heard of it? is it good? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 03:07
We took the liberty of performing some scenarios to test the GMAT testing algorithm on Edvento vs GMATPrep. There were some more and awesome tests done by GMATClub, which prompted us to use the data to show validation of our platform.

Scenario 1:
Quant: First 10 questions incorrect; next 27 correct
Verbal: First 20 questions correct; next 11 incorrect

The result:

Results from Edvento:

Analysis: As seen by the above result, the first questions turned out to be vital. Quant 38 is actually 48th percentile, which is not so good. Once you are in the high penalty zone, it is quite difficult to recover till the end. We did the same number of questions incorrect in Verbal and got 37, which is 81st percentile, an awesome score. So in Verbal, we had reached high reward zone and we didn't go as down as we did in Quant with the same number of questions incorrect.

Scenario 2:
Quant: First 27 questions correct; next 10 incorrect
Verbal: First 11 questions incorrect; next 30 correct

The result:

Result from Edvento:

Analysis: This time we reversed the order. By marking last 10 questions incorrect instead of the first 10, the quant score jumped from 38 to 50 and percentile jumped from 48th to 92nd percentile. A significant improvement. Similarly for Verbal, we marked first 11 incorrect instead of last 11 and the verbal score dropped from 37 to 22. Both in GMATPrep and Edvento, it's the same. The percentile significantly dropped from 81st to 27th percentile.

From the above two tests, it is clear that:
1) The first few questions are vitally important for your score
2) Edvento tests' adaptive logic closely mimcs that of the official GMATPrep.

We also did some miscellaneous scenarios to see how those affect your scores in the GMAT and Edvento Tests.

Scenario 3:
Quant: First 14 questions correct; next 10 incorrect; last 13 correct
Verbal: First 35 questions correct; last 6 incorrect

The result:

Result from Edvento:

Analysis: In quant, we did 10 out of 37 (1/3rd) incorrect in Quant. But we still reached a quite high score. That implies that though we were going down in ability in between, but at the stage (till 15th question) the damage is not that much that we could not recover from it by the 37th question. In Verbal, we tried something new, instead of 11 incorrect at the end, we did last 6 incorrect. That added a verbal score improvement of 6 points from 37 to 43 (95th percentile). That makes Verbal quite difficult to improve if even at this stage there is significant improvement.

Scenario 4:
Quant: Every 3rd question incorrect
Verbal: First 6 questions incorrect; last 35 incorrect

The result:

Result from Edvento:

Analysis: In quant, this time, we marked every 3rd question incorrect, as you can see from the plot. This did not seem to affect our high score from scenario 3. So 12 questions incorrect at equal intervals or 11 questions incorrect exactly in the middle, are essentially the same. So mixed incorrect in first few won;t affect the scores much. In verbal, we reversed scenario 3 and did first 6 incorrect. We scored 36 (79th percentile), not bad. But instead if we had done 11 incorrect (scenario 2), we would have scored just 22 (27th percentile).

Final verdict: First few questions are extremely important to mark correct consecutively. But if it is taking too much time (>2 mins per question), just guess and move on. A few questions incorrect won't matter much.

Shouvik
admin@edvento.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-23-2013
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: edvento - anyone heard of it? is it good? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 20:29
Other than the Mock test, there are individual quizzes for CR,SC,RC and Quant. is there a way to give a Score on GMAT scale. For the Quant Quiz1 - I got 80%. But, I would like to know that severity of these Quant Quizes. Are they 600Score questions ?
Manager
Manager

Re: edvento - anyone heard of it? is it good? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 21:24
sramsscm wrote:
Other than the Mock test, there are individual quizzes for CR,SC,RC and Quant. is there a way to give a Score on GMAT scale. For the Quant Quiz1 - I got 80%. But, I would like to know that severity of these Quant Quizes. Are they 600Score questions ?

Hi sramsscm,

All tests on the Edvento GMAT are adaptive and that holds true even for the individual quizzes. Each quiz measures your ability in the section or concepts that the questions are linked with. To give you an ability on the GMAT scale for individual quizzes would be very inaccurate as your ability in the other sections would be unknown. The GMAT gives you a section score only after it tests your proficiency in all or most of the concepts. Hence the only thing you will get out of the quizzes is your ability.

Now note that 80% is not your accuracy. Most probably you might not have got 80% of the questions correct. It might have been less or more. The system takes in your performance in questions of varied difficulty levels to assign you an ability. Hence, you cannot say that questions are 600 or 700 level questions. There can be 500, 600 or 700 level questions in each of these tests as well.

Hope I answered your queries.

Regards,

Shouvik.

Shouvik
admin@edvento.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 20

Re: edvento - anyone heard of it? is it good? [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 10:49
Hello, i tried the Diagnostic Test today and i would like to know
if it is really truly adaptive cause it doesn't seem to be like that to me

Thank you,
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.96
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: edvento - anyone heard of it? is it good? [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 01:58
They like to use the words inspire, but the fact is that almost every question they have in their question bank has been picked up from GMATPrep and MGMAT tests and modified a bit, the structure remains the same.

In case you have written GMATPrep/MGMAT tests already, you will easily recognize the questions.

Plus the funny part is that some question are even inspired by "Breaking Bad" and "How I met your mother"..:D
Re: edvento - anyone heard of it? is it good?   [#permalink] 08 May 2014, 01:58