Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 05:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Effect of Repeat courses on application

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Effect of Repeat courses on application [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 06:46
Hello everyone

Well my question isn't related to any current B-School application I am working one but might affect one later down the road. Currently I am doing MBA with majors in Banking & Finance from a top school in Pakistan. I plan to apply to ivy league in 2009/2010. My undergrad CGPA was 3.3 and my current CGPA in MBA is 3.65. I aced nearly every course in my MBA except for one titled "Financial Systems". I got a C+ in this particular subject (GPA 2.5). This was not due to rather horrid marking and checking criteria of the course instructor (He failed 50% of the class by the way). My school has now offered all the class to repeat the course (at no cost and with a different instructor). The catch is that this course would be listed as a 'repeat' in the transcript. My question is that

1. Would it affect my application when after a couple of years I apply to major school in the US and UK?
2. How do admission staff view students with 'repeat' course(s) ? Do they view it negatively?
3. Should I actually go ahead and repeat the course? The improvement in my CGPA would be from 3.65 to 3.70-3.75 ( considering I get A/A- in the course which I DEFINITELY WILL)
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 32

Re: Effect of Repeat courses on application [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 07:31
If the school is so concerned about the other professor's grading that they are offering the course again, then they should do something to correct it by wiping out the grades. It makes me think there is some other reason the school is offering the course again to those students.

ausmanj wrote:
Hello everyone

Well my question isn't related to any current B-School application I am working one but might affect one later down the road. Currently I am doing MBA with majors in Banking & Finance from a top school in Pakistan. I plan to apply to ivy league in 2009/2010. My undergrad CGPA was 3.3 and my current CGPA in MBA is 3.65. I aced nearly every course in my MBA except for one titled "Financial Systems". I got a C+ in this particular subject (GPA 2.5). This was not due to rather horrid marking and checking criteria of the course instructor (He failed 50% of the class by the way). My school has now offered all the class to repeat the course (at no cost and with a different instructor). The catch is that this course would be listed as a 'repeat' in the transcript. My question is that

1. Would it affect my application when after a couple of years I apply to major school in the US and UK?
2. How do admission staff view students with 'repeat' course(s) ? Do they view it negatively?
3. Should I actually go ahead and repeat the course? The improvement in my CGPA would be from 3.65 to 3.70-3.75 ( considering I get A/A- in the course which I DEFINITELY WILL)

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Effect of Repeat courses on application   [#permalink] 22 May 2008, 07:31