Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 09:10

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

effect of voters previously stated preference -IR question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

effect of voters previously stated preference -IR question [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 23:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Can someone help explain how to interpret this graph for IR and the solutions.

Here is link
http://postimg.org/image/qckajicep/

Thanks!
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 486

Kudos [?]: 1980 [0], given: 29

Re: effect of voters previously stated preference -IR question [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2013, 11:46
Expert's post
audiogal101 wrote:

Here is link

Thanks!

Dear audiogal101,
I'm happy to give my two cents. :-)

That graph is an absolute disaster. It makes absolutely no sense. The verbal description does not explain it properly, and the graph itself is utter nonsense. In particular, the scale at the bottom, with gradations from "against" to "for" --- that makes absolutely no sense. I believe this graph was designed either by someone who doesn't speak English well and/or someone who does not understand graphs.

Don't worry that you do not understand it. Whatever the source is, I would avoid that source at all costs.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: effect of voters previously stated preference -IR question [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2013, 10:45
mikemcgarry wrote:
audiogal101 wrote:

Here is link

Thanks!

Dear audiogal101,
I'm happy to give my two cents. :-)

That graph is an absolute disaster. It makes absolutely no sense. The verbal description does not explain it properly, and the graph itself is utter nonsense. In particular, the scale at the bottom, with gradations from "against" to "for" --- that makes absolutely no sense. I believe this graph was designed either by someone who doesn't speak English well and/or someone who does not understand graphs.

Don't worry that you do not understand it. Whatever the source is, I would avoid that source at all costs.

Ahh! That's a relief! But actually the source is gmat prep :(
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0
GPA: 3.44
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: effect of voters previously stated preference -IR question [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2013, 20:52
I agree with the above - this is one of the most confusing graphs, and the graph is not labelled well. In fact, I don't even think the first statement can be derived based on the information given.

In any case, I thin it's something like this:

1) In this case, it does not matter at all what the issue preference is for the party members. All we care about is being highest on the y axis, which is the probability of the voters choice being the same as their prefernce. So, which party is highest on the y axis? It seems like Delta is the best option, but strictly speaking it is not actually possible to tell for sure.
2) In this case we only care about the voters that are on the "against" side of the graph. So, we look at the leftmost points on the x axis, and see which party is the highest. It appears to be zeta.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1980 [1] , given: 29

Re: effect of voters previously stated preference -IR question [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 10:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
audiogal101 wrote:
Ahh! That's a relief! But actually the source is gmat prep :(

Dear audiogal101,
OK, I'll tell you what I think the graph & questions are getting at here. I think you would be unlikely to see a graph such as this, except as something experimental, but let's go at this.

First, the horizontal scale on the graph --- let's pretend that folks were asked some kind of web survey about the work reduction issue, one of those surveys that said "Respond 1 to 5, with 1 indicating the most disagreement and 5 indicating the most agreement" ---- those are the positions across the bottom ---- we could label the ticks "strongly against", "somewhat against", "neutral", "somewhat for", and "strongly for". Those are the responses at some time before the vote. Then, the dot above is the probability that, when the time came to vote, they vote "yes" for the working-time reduction issue.

Thus, for members of the Delta party, folks who previously were "strongly against" were about 60% likely to vote "yes" when the time came to vote on the working-time reduction issue; folks who previously were "neutral" were about 75% likely; and folks who previously were "strongly for" were about 82% likely.

OK, now the questions:
1a) Members of the ______________ party are most apt to vote according to their previously stated preferences regarding the regarding the issue of working-time reduction.
Well, in a way, this is a correlation question. Of the five parties, which one shows the most change from lowest on the "against" side to highest on the "for" side? In other words, which party has the steepest upward slant? Clearly, the Delta party rises with the steepest slope, and has the biggest change from low on the left to high on the right. That has to be the answer.

1b) Members of the ______________ party are most apt to vote against the issue of working-time reduction if their previously stated preferences regarding the regarding the issue of working-time reduction was also against.
In other words, of all the "against" dots, the dots on the far left, which one is lowest? That appears to be the "No Preference" line. That has to be the answer.

Remember, the virtue of graphs is that whole "picture equals a 1000 words" thing ---- a ton of information directly accessible in visual form. Often what a graph question is asking, when you unpack it, is something remarkable simple --- "of the dots on the left, which one is the lowest?" Don't be intimidated by a solution if it turns out what you have to do is third-grade easy. Graphs are supposed to make things that easy.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

Re: effect of voters previously stated preference -IR question [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 21:58
hey can you please post the OA?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

Re: effect of voters previously stated preference -IR question [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 00:21
@mike, i didn understand what should be the answer to the second ques..which party? Zeta?
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1980 [0], given: 29

Re: effect of voters previously stated preference -IR question [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 19:35
Expert's post
abdb wrote:
@mike, i didn understand what should be the answer to the second ques..which party? Zeta?

Dear abdb,
The chart to the right of the graph says:
Political Party
Delta
Sigma
Zeta
Theta
No Preference

Of those five options, the last one, "no preference", is the line of people "most apt to vote against the issue of working-time reduction if their previously stated preferences regarding the regarding the issue of working-time reduction was also against." Admittedly, there probably isn't a "no preference" party, but simply the unaffiliated people who have no preference. Nevertheless, for the purpose of this question, those are the five choices given for Political Party, and the line that best describes the relationship in the question is the one labeled "no preference."

The folks who said they previously stated they were "against" are on the far left in the diagram. Of those people, Zeta is the highest dot --- folks of the Zeta party would previously stated they were "against" are the most likely to vote "for" the issue. Those are the folks who changed their minds the most. That's not what the question is asking. The folks who were most consistent --- who previously said they were "against" and were least likely to support the issue --- that's the lowest dot on the left, showing the lowest probability of voting for the issue. That's the "no preference" line.

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 16

Re: effect of voters previously stated preference -IR question [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2014, 15:29
Here is the OA
Attachments

File comment: OA
Captura de Tela 2014-07-25 às 20.28.18.png
Captura de Tela 2014-07-25 às 20.28.18.png [ 77.07 KiB | Viewed 484 times ]

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: effect of voters previously stated preference -IR question [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2014, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
This is an old thread but the correct answer has still not been explained.

1. Which party are most likely to vote on their previous stated preference? Pick the point which has the highest probability. The higher the probability, the most likely they will not change their preference. Therefore the people in Delta who preferred for, has the highest probability they will vote the same as their stated preference.

2. Which party will most likely vote against if their preference was against. Looking at only the left points where the preferences are against, pick the one with highest probability, which is Zeta. This means the people that preferred against in Zeta are most likely to vote against.

plaverbach wrote:
Here is the OA
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: effect of voters previously stated preference -IR question [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2014, 12:10
I think this might be an experimental question. I had the OA as Zeta, Zeta for the same question in the exam which I gave !
Re: effect of voters previously stated preference -IR question   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2014, 12:10