Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Effective studying with 60+ hour work weeks - help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Effective studying with 60+ hour work weeks - help! [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 03:44
I've been intending to take the GMAT for the past 12 months, but have consistently delayed my test date due to irregularities at work, personal cicumstances, etc. I've finally resolved to buckle down and register for the exam in mid-April - a date that I intend to stick to this time around.

As I work a pretty demanding job, I am struggling to make sufficient study time during the week. I've registered for MGMAT's online course, and - as anybody who's taken it will know - the work load is greuling. I'm struggling to get through the content and OG problems each week, which leads to a downward spiral of falling behind, having to catch-up and consequently falling behind the next week.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I'd be particuarly interested in hearing from those that faced their GMAT prep under similar circumstances, wasn't a "natural" GMAT taker and managed to improve their score to the mythical 700+. (Note: my baseline score is 670, though this is from a CAT I took last June after 3-4 weeks of self-study!)

In the meantime, here is my proposed way of managing my time for the next 12 weeks:

Weeks 1-7

Start earlier: as my evenings are unpredictable, the only solution (however unpleasant) is to get up 1.5 hours earlier for un-interrupted study time during the week.

Focus on content: complete all MGMAT study guides, attend weekly courses and attempt basic OG problems.

Facilitate quick content review: rather than taking copious notes, I'll scrap my awkward notebook in favour of punchy index cards (with one concept per card) - these can be reviewed on the way to/from work.

Bi-weekely CAT exams to track progress and identify weak areas.

Weeks 8-12

Focus on advanced content: complete advanced quant topics in MGMAT guides and work all difficult OG problems.

Review "basic" mistakes: re-work all incorrect OG problems attempted in weeks 1-7.

Weekly CAT exams to ensure comfort with test format.

Sound sensible? Any suggestions?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Effective studying with 60+ hour work weeks - help! [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 03:12
Clock in your time at the GMATCLUB
Trust your work on a down day...!

GMAT is not the toughest sport in the world but you sure compete with the finest...Give your best...!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Effective studying with 60+ hour work weeks - help! [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 07:04
Doing these exercises before you go to work is a great idea. I've found that if I study after work (been studying for three months) I probably absorb 50% of the information that I would absorb in the morning.

Also, keep an error log. This has been the biggest help for me. You'll find yourself making the same mistakes over and over again. If you can learn how to do 4-5 types of problems you're having trouble with, your score will jump quite a bit.

competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

As for one CAT exam per week at the end, I couldn't do that. Taking those things is exhausting. I think if you've seen 5-7 practice tests you should be plenty ready for it (imho).

Good luck, I'm taking my test in three days :)

P.S. - I wouldn't study the day before the test, and maybe even the day before that. You will find towards the end that you might start to burn out. I think it's much easier to be more interested/excited about doing GMAT problems if you haven't seen any for a while.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Effective studying with 60+ hour work weeks - help! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 08:32
I'm struggling to get through the content and OG problems each week, which leads to a downward spiral of falling behind, having to catch-up and consequently falling behind the next week.
Re: Effective studying with 60+ hour work weeks - help!   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2013, 08:32