Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Efrida and Frazer who live 10 miles apart, meet at a restaur

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Efrida and Frazer who live 10 miles apart, meet at a restaur [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 08:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (02:23) correct 30% (01:13) wrong based on 56 sessions
Efrida and Frazer who live 10 miles apart, meet at a restaurant that is directly north of Efrida's home and directly east of Frazer's home. If the restaurant is two miles closer to Efrida's home, than to Frazer's home, how many miles is the restaurant from Frazer's home?

A. 6
B. 7
C. 8
D. 10
E. 11
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 07 Jan 2013, 03:03, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3433

Kudos [?]: 25297 [1] , given: 2702

Re: efrida and frazer who live 10 miles apart meet at a restaur [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 01:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
chiccufrazer1 wrote:
efrida and frazer who live 10 miles apart,meet at a restaurant that is directly north of efrida's home and directly east of frazer's home.if the restaurant is too miles closer to efrida's home,than to frazer's home,how many miles is the restaurant from frazer's home
A.6 B.7 C.8 D.10 E.11

Posted from my mobile device Image

Please check the questions when posting and format them properly.

Efrida and Frazer who live 10 miles apart, meet at a restaurant that is directly north of Efrida's home and directly east of Frazer's home. If the restaurant is two miles closer to Efrida's home, than to Frazer's home, how many miles is the restaurant from Frazer's home?

A. 6
B. 7
C. 8
D. 10
E. 11

It's a simple geometry problem. Look at the diagram below:
Attachment:
Restraunt.PNG
Restraunt.PNG [ 4.84 KiB | Viewed 954 times ]
From above it follows that the restaurant is 8 miles from Frazer's home and 6 miles from Efrida's home.

Answer: C.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 1

Re: efrida and frazer who live 10 miles apart meet at a restaur [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 03:01
This post received
KUDOS
thanks bunuel..i really appreciate on how you have solved the problem..i also used the same terms except for x +2 which i ended up using x-2 instead..i did use the pythagorean theorem but i ended up getting something like wrong and getting more confused

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 151

Re: Efrida and Frazer who live 10 miles apart, meet at a restaur [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 09:53
I also did the same thing as frazer and got it wrong.
Manager
Manager

Re: Efrida and Frazer who live 10 miles apart, meet at a restaur [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 11:02
bunuel i have noticed one thing on how your have illustrated the information given in the diagram..the diagram indicates frazer's home as directly west of the restaurant rather than as directly east..does the direction change anything at all?

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 25297 [0], given: 2702

Re: Efrida and Frazer who live 10 miles apart, meet at a restaur [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 02:38
Expert's post
chiccufrazer1 wrote:
bunuel i have noticed one thing on how your have illustrated the information given in the diagram..the diagram indicates frazer's home as directly west of the restaurant rather than as directly east..does the direction change anything at all?

The stem says that the restaurant is directly east of Frazer's home, hence Frazer's home is directly west of the restaurant. Though it wouldn't change anything even if it were vise-versa.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.64

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Efrida and Frazer who live 10 miles apart, meet at a restaur [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 05:45
Bunuel,

did you apply the pythagorean theorem to the diagram above? I tried to apply it, but I get 6 and -8 as a result.

A second way that I was thinking about is the 90-60-30 degree triangular rule where the sides of the triangle are 3, 4, and 5. However, we are not certain that this triangle has this property.
Manager
Manager

Re: Efrida and Frazer who live 10 miles apart, meet at a restaur [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 13:02
marcoppe wrote:
Bunuel,

did you apply the pythagorean theorem to the diagram above? I tried to apply it, but I get 6 and -8 as a result.

A second way that I was thinking about is the 90-60-30 degree triangular rule where the sides of the triangle are 3, 4, and 5. However, we are not certain that this triangle has this property.

@marcoppe most definitely bunuel used the pythagorean theorem..it is as it is because of the word DIRECTLY NORTH OR DIRECTLY EAST in the stem question signifying that we have a 90 degrees angle somewhere..well marcoppe am sorry awil ask you a dumb question but please bear with me..what does the 90-60-30 triangular rule state?and how do you apply it?

Intern
Intern

Re: Efrida and Frazer who live 10 miles apart, meet at a restaur [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 00:50
@chiccufrazer1

The 90-60-30 rule, sometimes called "Pythagorean triple" or "3-4-5 triangle", applies to those triangles that hold this property: 90°, 60°, and 30° angles. The sides of any 90-60-30 degree triangle will have its sides bearing specific length proportions: 3, 4, 5. There would be no need, therefore, to use the Pythagorean theorem in such cases.

The triangle formed in the excercise above will certainly be a 3-4-5 triangle as we have a 3-4-5 proportion in the length of its sides.
Manager
Manager

Re: Efrida and Frazer who live 10 miles apart, meet at a restaur [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 01:13
marcoppe wrote:
@chiccufrazer1

The 90-60-30 rule, sometimes called "Pythagorean triple" or "3-4-5 triangle", applies to those triangles that hold this property: 90°, 60°, and 30° angles. The sides of any 90-60-30 degree triangle will have its sides bearing specific length proportions: 3, 4, 5. There would be no need, therefore, to use the Pythagorean theorem in such cases.

The triangle formed in the excercise above will certainly be a 3-4-5 triangle as we have a 3-4-5 proportion in the length of its sides.

@marcoppe. in other words what you trying to say is that we might be given a triangle that only has one side given but holds the 90-60-30 property and can still be able to find the other sides by using the pythagorean triple..if saw then how would test for the 90-60-30 property?

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Efrida and Frazer who live 10 miles apart, meet at a restaur [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 02:14
Expert's post
marcoppe wrote:
Bunuel,

90-60-30 (angles) triangle and 3-4-5 (sides) triangle are not the same. For more check here: math-triangles-87197.html

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Re: Efrida and Frazer who live 10 miles apart, meet at a restaur [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 02:38
Thanks Bunuel, I realized now that I got confused with the two principles. To know that we are dealing with a 3-4-5 right triangle there is no need to know its angles.

Sorry chiccufrazer1.

Anyways, I was curious to know how Bunuel got that result. I am pretty sure he used the pythagorean theorem, but I got -8 and 6 using Phythagora. I am not sure how to decide which one to pick.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Efrida and Frazer who live 10 miles apart, meet at a restaur [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 02:54
Expert's post
marcoppe wrote:
Thanks Bunuel, I realized now that I got confused with the two principles. To know that we are dealing with a 3-4-5 right triangle there is no need to know its angles.

Sorry chiccufrazer1.

Anyways, I was curious to know how Bunuel got that result. I am pretty sure he used the pythagorean theorem, but I got -8 and 6 using Phythagora. I am not sure how to decide which one to pick.

Actually I didn't use Pythagorean theorem.

We know that the hypotenuse is 10 and one leg is 2 more than the other, which means that it should be 6-8-10 right triangle.

If we use the theorem then we'll have x^2+(x+2)^2=10^2 --> 2x^2+4x-96=0 --> x^2+2x-48=0 --> (x-6)(x+8)=0 --> x=6 (discard x=-8 since the distance cannot be negative).

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT Date: 12-03-2013
WE: General Management (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 119

Re: efrida and frazer who live 10 miles apart meet at a restaur [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 02:21
Bunuel wrote:
chiccufrazer1 wrote:
efrida and frazer who live 10 miles apart,meet at a restaurant that is directly north of efrida's home and directly east of frazer's home.if the restaurant is too miles closer to efrida's home,than to frazer's home,how many miles is the restaurant from frazer's home
A.6 B.7 C.8 D.10 E.11

Please check the questions when posting and format them properly.

A. 6
B. 7
C. 8
D. 10
E. 11

It's a simple geometry problem. Look at the diagram below:
Attachment:
Restraunt.PNG
From above it follows that the restaurant is 8 miles from Frazer's home and 6 miles from Efrida's home.

Answer: C.

Solved using pure math, but took me more than 3 minutes... the draw is reaaly a shortcut.

Thanks Bunuel for this.
Re: efrida and frazer who live 10 miles apart meet at a restaur   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2013, 02:21