Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619008 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Re: Efrida and Frazer who live 10 miles apart, meet at a restaur [#permalink]
I also did the same thing as frazer and got it wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
bunuel i have noticed one thing on how your have illustrated the information given in the diagram..the diagram indicates frazer's home as directly west of the restaurant rather than as directly east..does the direction change anything at all?

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619008 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
chiccufrazer1 wrote:
bunuel i have noticed one thing on how your have illustrated the information given in the diagram..the diagram indicates frazer's home as directly west of the restaurant rather than as directly east..does the direction change anything at all?

The stem says that the restaurant is directly east of Frazer's home, hence Frazer's home is directly west of the restaurant. Though it wouldn't change anything even if it were vise-versa.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Bunuel,

did you apply the pythagorean theorem to the diagram above? I tried to apply it, but I get 6 and -8 as a result.

A second way that I was thinking about is the 90-60-30 degree triangular rule where the sides of the triangle are 3, 4, and 5. However, we are not certain that this triangle has this property.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
marcoppe wrote:
Bunuel,

did you apply the pythagorean theorem to the diagram above? I tried to apply it, but I get 6 and -8 as a result.

A second way that I was thinking about is the 90-60-30 degree triangular rule where the sides of the triangle are 3, 4, and 5. However, we are not certain that this triangle has this property.

@marcoppe most definitely bunuel used the pythagorean theorem..it is as it is because of the word DIRECTLY NORTH OR DIRECTLY EAST in the stem question signifying that we have a 90 degrees angle somewhere..well marcoppe am sorry awil ask you a dumb question but please bear with me..what does the 90-60-30 triangular rule state?and how do you apply it?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
@chiccufrazer1

The 90-60-30 rule, sometimes called "Pythagorean triple" or "3-4-5 triangle", applies to those triangles that hold this property: 90°, 60°, and 30° angles. The sides of any 90-60-30 degree triangle will have its sides bearing specific length proportions: 3, 4, 5. There would be no need, therefore, to use the Pythagorean theorem in such cases.

The triangle formed in the excercise above will certainly be a 3-4-5 triangle as we have a 3-4-5 proportion in the length of its sides.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
marcoppe wrote:
@chiccufrazer1

The 90-60-30 rule, sometimes called "Pythagorean triple" or "3-4-5 triangle", applies to those triangles that hold this property: 90°, 60°, and 30° angles. The sides of any 90-60-30 degree triangle will have its sides bearing specific length proportions: 3, 4, 5. There would be no need, therefore, to use the Pythagorean theorem in such cases.

The triangle formed in the excercise above will certainly be a 3-4-5 triangle as we have a 3-4-5 proportion in the length of its sides.

@marcoppe. in other words what you trying to say is that we might be given a triangle that only has one side given but holds the 90-60-30 property and can still be able to find the other sides by using the pythagorean triple..if saw then how would test for the 90-60-30 property?

Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
marcoppe wrote:
Bunuel,

90-60-30 (angles) triangle and 3-4-5 (sides) triangle are not the same. For more check here: math-triangles-87197.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Bunuel, I realized now that I got confused with the two principles. To know that we are dealing with a 3-4-5 right triangle there is no need to know its angles.

Sorry chiccufrazer1.

Anyways, I was curious to know how Bunuel got that result. I am pretty sure he used the pythagorean theorem, but I got -8 and 6 using Phythagora. I am not sure how to decide which one to pick.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
marcoppe wrote:
Thanks Bunuel, I realized now that I got confused with the two principles. To know that we are dealing with a 3-4-5 right triangle there is no need to know its angles.

Sorry chiccufrazer1.

Anyways, I was curious to know how Bunuel got that result. I am pretty sure he used the pythagorean theorem, but I got -8 and 6 using Phythagora. I am not sure how to decide which one to pick.

Actually I didn't use Pythagorean theorem.

We know that the hypotenuse is 10 and one leg is 2 more than the other, which means that it should be 6-8-10 right triangle.

If we use the theorem then we'll have x^2+(x+2)^2=10^2 --> 2x^2+4x-96=0 --> x^2+2x-48=0 --> (x-6)(x+8)=0 --> x=6 (discard x=-8 since the distance cannot be negative).

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT Date: 12-03-2013
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
Re: efrida and frazer who live 10 miles apart meet at a restaur [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
chiccufrazer1 wrote:
efrida and frazer who live 10 miles apart,meet at a restaurant that is directly north of efrida's home and directly east of frazer's home.if the restaurant is too miles closer to efrida's home,than to frazer's home,how many miles is the restaurant from frazer's home
A.6 B.7 C.8 D.10 E.11

Please check the questions when posting and format them properly.

Efrida and Frazer who live 10 miles apart, meet at a restaurant that is directly north of Efrida's home and directly east of Frazer's home. If the restaurant is two miles closer to Efrida's home, than to Frazer's home, how many miles is the restaurant from Frazer's home?

A. 6
B. 7
C. 8
D. 10
E. 11

It's a simple geometry problem. Look at the diagram below:
Attachment:
Restraunt.PNG
From above it follows that the restaurant is 8 miles from Frazer's home and 6 miles from Efrida's home.

Answer: C.

Solved using pure math, but took me more than 3 minutes... the draw is reaaly a shortcut.

Thanks Bunuel for this.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92914 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts