Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5033 [1] , given: 164

Re: Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 19:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
guerrero25 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
nonameee wrote:
Bunuel, thanks a lot. I must have made some miscalculation.

Conceptually the question is interesting. However the numbers are quite "difficult" to work with. Do you think that a real GMAT question would have better numbers?

Actually, the numbers are quite suitable for a very efficient, quick and oral solution. This is what I thought of when I came up with the answer in 20 secs. Mind you, you need to go through the link provided below to understand this theory. Else the 20 sec solution will probably not make sense to you.

We are substituting milk so we should work with water.

Final concentration of water = 9/49
There were two iterations. So, 9/49 = (100%)*(Vi/Vf)^2
Vi/Vf = 3/7
Since we are putting 8 liters of water but difference between Vi and Vf is 4, final volume (which is also equal to volume of the vessel) must be twice too i.e. 7*2 = 14 liters.

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/01 ... -mixtures/

Hi Karishma , Could you please elaborate the highlighted portion ? I am unable to grasp the last part of the solution . Thanks in advance .

This is the ratios concept in action here even though I haven't used ratio explicitly.
Vi is the volume after you remove 8 lts but before you put it back. Vf is the volume after you put the 8 lts back in.

But you get Vi/Vf = 3/7 i.e. their ratio is 3:7. But the actual difference in their volume is 8lts.
so 7x - 3x = 8 giving you x = 2
Vi = 6 lts, Vf = 14 lts

(All I did above was I saw that the difference between 3 and 7 is 4 (the ratio difference) but actual difference is 8 so the multiplier is 2. Hence the actual volume would be twice of the ratio too. Check out my ratio posts on my blog to understand the multiplier concept)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 5033 [1] , given: 164

Re: Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 19:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:
Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and substituted by pure milk. Again eight litres of the mixture are drawn off and substituted by pure milk. If the vessel now contains water and milk in the ratio 9:40, find the capacity of the vessel.

A. 21 liters
B. 22 liters
C. 20 liters
D. 14 liters
E. 28 liters

The way the equation is expressed, it seems to me that the number used for Vf should be the volume of the vessel (this is my understanding of what Vf is supposed to represent). However, that is obviously incorrect. Thus, I am having difficulty conceptualizing what Vf actually represents in the solution you have provided and, further, how you were able to intuitively determine that it should be doubled. I understand that Vi of 3 and Vf of 7 must be doubled in order to ensure that Vf-Vi=8. However, I do not understand why this is permissible within the construct of the concentration equation.

Responding to a pm:

You are correct. In this question Vf is the capacity of the vessel.

What is Vf in replacement questions?
Replacement consists of two steps: - 'withdraw from the vessel' and 'put back into the vessel'.
When you withdraw from the vessel, the volume goes down - This is Vi for the next step.
When you put back, the volume comes up again - this is Vf. In this step, since amount of water stays the same (you are putting in milk), CiVi = CfVf

In this question, vessel is FULL of water and you are substituting part of it by milk. So it will be FULL when you put milk in it in step 2. So Vf is the capacity of the vessel.

Also, we are using ratios here.
Say, you know a/b = 1/2. If a = 10, what is b? It is 20, right?
Similarly, you know a/b = 1/2. If b-a = 4, what is a? Note that on the ratio scale, the difference between b and a is 1 (2 - 1). But actually it is 4 so a must be 4 and b must be 8.
Check out my posts on ratios: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/03 ... of-ratios/

Since Vi/Vf = 3/7 but Vf - Vi = 8 (twice of what it is on the ratio scale), Vi must be 6 and Vf must be 14.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5033 [0], given: 164

Re: Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 21:39
Expert's post
nonameee wrote:

Conceptually the question is interesting. However the numbers are quite "difficult" to work with. Do you think that a real GMAT question would have better numbers?

Actually, the numbers are quite suitable for a very efficient, quick and oral solution. This is what I thought of when I came up with the answer in 20 secs. Mind you, you need to go through the link provided below to understand this theory. Else the 20 sec solution will probably not make sense to you.

Vi/Vf = 3/7
Since we are putting 8 liters of water but difference between Vi and Vf is 4, final volume (which is also equal to volume of the vessel) must be twice too i.e. 7*2 = 14 liters.

Responding to a pm:

Cf*Vf = Ci*Vi
Cf = Ci * (Vi/Vf)

When you add milk for the first time, concentration of water in initial solution is 100%

Cf = 100% (Vi/Vf)

Then you remove some solution which doesn't change its concentration which is 100% (Vi/Vf)
When you add milk again, initial concentration is 100% (Vi/Vf) and the final concentration is given by

Cf2 = 100% (Vi/Vf) * (Vi/Vf) = 100%(Vi/Vf)^2

We know that this Cf2 is given to be 9/49

So Vi/Vf = 3/7

So every time we take out some solution, the volume of the solution reduces to Vi and every time we add it back, it goes up to Vf.
7x - 3x = 8 lts
x = 2 lts

So Vi is 6 lts and Vf is 14 lts. The capacity of the vessel i.e. the volume when it is full (i.e. when we put back the 8 lts of milk) is 14 lts.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 06:07
oldstudent wrote:
virupaksh2010 wrote:
Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and substituted by pure milk. Again eight litres of the mixture are drawn off and substituted by pure milk.If the vessel now contains water and milk in the ratio 9:40, find the capacity of the vessel.

Possible AnswersSelected Possible Answer
A. 21 litrers

B. 22 litres

C. 20 litres

D. 14 litres

E. 28 litres

Using Wine formula:

{ (P-8) / P }^2 = 9/49

P solves to 14 - Ans - D

Hi,

Will this formula holds good for all this types of questions?

Regards,
Rrsnathan.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 102

Re: Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 13:20
virupaksh2010 wrote:
Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and substituted by pure milk. Again eight litres of the mixture are drawn off and substituted by pure milk. If the vessel now contains water and milk in the ratio 9:40, find the capacity of the vessel.

A. 21 liters
B. 22 liters
C. 20 liters
D. 14 liters
E. 28 liters

Milk and water can change in amount but Total capacity will not. So stay with capacity. That's the theme should work on. REMEMBER, STICK WITH CAPACITY.

Capacity = x
1st event:
water : capacity = (x-8) : x

2nd event:
8 liters more solution replaced. but how much water it carried OUT with itself ? So,

EARLIER x liters solution contained (x-8) liter water
or, 1 liter ....................... = (x-8)/x liter water
or, 8 liters ...................... = 8(x-8)/x liter

So now we have water = x-8 - {8(x-8)/x} = (x-8)^2 / x liter

GIVEN, water:milk = 9:40 , So total = 49 . Here, water : capacity = 9:49
Finally,
water : capacity = {(x-8)^2/x} : x = 9:49
or, x = 14 (Answer)

Asif vai.....

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 246

CAT Tests
Re: Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 10:24
iambroke wrote:
the equation you'd get once 8 lts are drawn the second time is: (w-16)/16 = 9/40 where w is the capacity of the vessel.
Solving for w, w = 19.6. So, its C

I am also getting 19.6

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Director
Director

CAT Tests
Re: Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 10:58
Quote:

A. 21 liters
B. 22 liters
C. 20 liters
D. 14 liters
E. 28 liters

The way the equation is expressed, it seems to me that the number used for Vf should be the volume of the vessel (this is my understanding of what Vf is supposed to represent). However, that is obviously incorrect. Thus, I am having difficulty conceptualizing what Vf actually represents in the solution you have provided and, further, how you were able to intuitively determine that it should be doubled. I understand that Vi of 3 and Vf of 7 must be doubled in order to ensure that Vf-Vi=8. However, I do not understand why this is permissible within the construct of the concentration equation.

Responding to a pm:

You are correct. In this question Vf is the capacity of the vessel.

What is Vf in replacement questions?
Replacement consists of two steps: - 'withdraw from the vessel' and 'put back into the vessel'.
When you withdraw from the vessel, the volume goes down - This is Vi for the next step.
When you put back, the volume comes up again - this is Vf. In this step, since amount of water stays the same (you are putting in milk), CiVi = CfVf

In this question, vessel is FULL of water and you are substituting part of it by milk. So it will be FULL when you put milk in it in step 2. So Vf is the capacity of the vessel.

Also, we are using ratios here.
Say, you know a/b = 1/2. If a = 10, what is b? It is 20, right?
Similarly, you know a/b = 1/2. If b-a = 4, what is a? Note that on the ratio scale, the difference between b and a is 1 (2 - 1). But actually it is 4 so a must be 4 and b must be 8.
Check out my posts on ratios: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/03 ... of-ratios/

Since Vi/Vf = 3/7 but Vf - Vi = 8 (twice of what it is on the ratio scale), Vi must be 6 and Vf must be 14.

What is the wine Formula, your solutions are always amazing.

Director
Director

CAT Tests
Re: Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 12:07
nonameee wrote:

Vi/Vf = 3/7

Responding to a pm:

Cf*Vf = Ci*Vi
Cf = Ci * (Vi/Vf)

When you add milk for the first time, concentration of water in initial solution is 100%

Cf = 100% (Vi/Vf)

Then you remove some solution which doesn't change its concentration which is 100% (Vi/Vf)
When you add milk again, initial concentration is 100% (Vi/Vf) and the final concentration is given by

Cf2 = 100% (Vi/Vf) * (Vi/Vf) = 100%(Vi/Vf)^2

We know that this Cf2 is given to be 9/49

So Vi/Vf = 3/7

So every time we take out some solution, the volume of the solution reduces to Vi and every time we add it back, it goes up to Vf.
7x - 3x = 8 lts
x = 2 lts

So Vi is 6 lts and Vf is 14 lts. The capacity of the vessel i.e. the volume when it is full (i.e. when we put back the 8 lts of milk) is 14 lts.

What is Ci and Cf here.

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5033 [0], given: 164

Re: Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 02:41
Expert's post
trafficspinners wrote:

What is Ci and Cf here.

I am not sure what you mean by "wine formula". Here is the link which discussed Ci and Cf i.e. the replacement concept: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/01 ... -mixtures/

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2013, 04:20
Here is the general formula

water/capacity =(1-(quantity taken out/total volume))^n

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 03:00
Bunuel wrote:
virupaksh2010 wrote:
Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and substituted by pure milk. Again eight litres of the mixture are drawn off and substituted by pure milk.If the vessel now contains water and milk in the ratio 9:40, find the capacity of the vessel.

A. 21 liters
B. 22 liters
C. 20 liters
D. 14 liters
E. 28 liters

Let the capacity of the vessel be x.

After the first removal there would be x-8 liters of water left in the vessel. Note that the share of the water would be \frac{x-8}{x};

After the second removal, the removed mixture of 8 liters will contain 8*\frac{x-8}{x} liters of water, so there will be x-8-8*\frac{x-8}{x}=\frac{(x-8)^2}{x} liters of water left.

As the ratio of water to milk after that is \frac{9}{40}, then the ratio of water to the capacity of the vessel would be \frac{9}{40+9}=\frac{9}{49}.

So \frac{\frac{(x-8)^2}{x}}{x}=\frac{9}{49} --> \frac{(x-8)^2}{x^2}=\frac{9}{49} --> \frac{x-8}{x}=\frac{3}{7} --> x=14.

Answer: D.

I tried it like this:

water remaining after 2 times = (x-8)^2 / x
Milk rem = 8x-64 / x

thus, (x-8)^2 / 8x-64 = 9/20
this gives the ans x = 11.6
can u tell me what I'm missing here?
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3488

Kudos [?]: 26202 [0], given: 2706

Re: Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 03:31
Expert's post
Cartman2013 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
virupaksh2010 wrote:

A. 21 liters
B. 22 liters
C. 20 liters
D. 14 liters
E. 28 liters

After the first removal there would be x-8 liters of water left in the vessel. Note that the share of the water would be \frac{x-8}{x};

After the second removal, the removed mixture of 8 liters will contain 8*\frac{x-8}{x} liters of water, so there will be x-8-8*\frac{x-8}{x}=\frac{(x-8)^2}{x} liters of water left.

As the ratio of water to milk after that is \frac{9}{40}, then the ratio of water to the capacity of the vessel would be \frac{9}{40+9}=\frac{9}{49}.

So \frac{\frac{(x-8)^2}{x}}{x}=\frac{9}{49} --> \frac{(x-8)^2}{x^2}=\frac{9}{49} --> \frac{x-8}{x}=\frac{3}{7} --> x=14.

Answer: D.

I tried it like this:

Milk rem = 8x-64 / x

can u tell me what I'm missing here?

Milk = x - (x-8)^2/x = 16(x-4)/x not 8x-64/x.

Also, the ratio is 9:40 not 9:20.

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 05:47

Answer: D.[/quote]

I tried it like this:

Milk rem = 8x-64 / x

can u tell me what I'm missing here?[/quote]

Milk = x - (x-8)^2/x = 16(x-4)/x not 8x-64/x.

Also, the ratio is 9:40 not 9:20.

Hope it helps.[/quote]

Thanks...that is very helpful
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

Re: Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 05:55
Dear Brunel ,

Can we use this formula?

(x-y/x)^n = Qualtity after n operations / Initial qty in vessel

(x-8/x)^2 = 9/49
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

Re: Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 06:00
Brunel ,

Please explain this concept in little detail ...

Re: Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2013, 06:00