Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:14

Going on right now!

Interview Invites from Chicago - Booth | Join the chat room for Live Updates.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Eighteenth century physicians noted that the garlic eating

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Eighteenth century physicians noted that the garlic eating [#permalink] New post 30 May 2004, 03:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Eighteenth century physicians noted that the garlic eating French priests who attended victims of the plague during an outbreak in london remained healthy, while the English priests shunning the odiferous herb soon become ill.
A....
B.whereas the English priests shunning the odiferous herb soon become ill
C.while the Enligh priests, who shunned the odiferous herb, soon became ill
D.and the English priests, who shun the odiferous herb, became ill soon
E.while the English priests soon become ill and shunned the odiferous herb

As usual OA will follow
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 May 2004, 21:46
I believe C is correct.

And this really confirms that some OAs from the practice Qs I have are INCORRECT. Beware those OAs from unpatented test-prep. (although i believe many of the answers are also correct).

The OA is B and there is no way that it can be correct.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2004, 09:15
while - meaning at the same time.

While is not correct here. whereas is the correct usage But B also has a problem shunning
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2004, 09:35
aonie,
Where did you get this question from?.
Because the sentence uses the simple past "Eighteenth century physicians noted ", suggests all choices with while are incorrect.

Choice B gives a nice comparison between the two using the word where as. Hence comes close to being correct. However, as Anand mentioned I think there is a problem with parallesim with choice B. "the English priests shunning the odiferous herb" doesn't follow "garlic eating French priests".

Praveen

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2004, 00:18
Hi

I do not see anything wrong with B. can anyone explain whats wrong with B. For the other choices, below is my explaination..

Eighteenth century physicians noted that the garlic eating French priests who attended victims of the plague during an outbreak in london remained healthy, while the English priests shunning the odiferous herb soon become ill.
A.... The main error in this is the presence of "While", an example for such sentence . He hit me with a stick WHILE i was running. Similar to the sentence above, the statement says, The Physicians noted that the French priests remained healthy while the english preiest become ill. Does it not sound like the french priest remained only when the english were not healthy. Compare this with the explaination in choice B.

B.whereas the English priests shunning the odiferous herb soon become ill. This is the right choice. Correct choice. Usage of WHEREAS. THe physicians noted that the English were healthy, wheareas the french were not. Clear statement. example for a similar one. I noted that, John completed his home work in time, whereas Jim does not. John noted that, his left side neighbours where who, listening to music stay calm, whereas the right side neighbours who do not listen to music do not stay calm. Clear statement. This is a comparision statement, between habits of French priest and that of the English.

C.while the Enligh priests, who shunned the odiferous herb, soon became ill - Wrong again. the presence of WHILE.

D.and the English priests, who shun the odiferous herb, became ill soon. This also is pretty close, but whereas does the comparision is what the physicans noted. Hence wrong.

E.while the English priests soon become ill and shunned the odiferous herb - the same problem as A. Wrong.

Regards

Giving another SHOT

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2004, 01:45
Carsen,

If 'become' in b were 'became', then i might pick B instead of C. unfortunately this 'become' is the only word that is expressed in present tense while everything else in the sentence is expressed in simple past.

besides, "while" here can suggest that these 2 things are happening at the same time.

while the english priests who did x became sick, others who did not do x - did not become sick.

b would be more appropriate if it uses while and became.

What do you think?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2004, 06:07
Hello Aonie

The action is a past tense - NOTED, ATTENDED, BECOME.

Had the verb been, ATTEND, then BECAME would fit in to it.

Example :- Eighteenth century physicians noted that the garlic eating French priests who attend (attended changed to attend, made it another tense) victims of the plague during an outbreak in london remained healthy, whereas the English priests shunning the odiferous herb soon became (become changed to became) ill. - This statement shows that the action is already over, something in the past. Whereas became is like present continous. The french doctors are still attending and fit, and the english became sick .. an ongoing process.

The presence of ATTENDED makes it more appropriate to say 'BECOME'.

Anothe example :- The doctors noted that, atheletes who ran everyday, as a daily exercise keep healthy and those who do not, soon become sick.

The doctors noted that atheletes who run everyday, as a daily exercise, keep healthy and those who did not, soon became sick-
What do u think of it now.

I hope this is a little clear.

Regards

Giving another SHOT

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2004, 13:20
Carsen, I'm not sure what you were saying.

yes the words are in past tense not in past participle which will warrant become.

base form- past tense-past participle
note-noted-noted
attend-attended-attended
become-became-become
come-came-come

etc...

also whereas is used to contrast 2 things (when indeed while is also used for this purpose in normal conversation but not in gmat).

in gmat while is used only to expressed the meaning of 'at the same time' as otherwise it can cause ambiguity.

so if whereas is going to be used in the choices according to its meaning, then you can not use 'shunning' here, because you're changing its meaning to 'at the same time' that warrants gerund as in 'while' .

This q is weird I know....: )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2004, 20:51
HI Aonie

U are right. B does not satisfy the required criteria. My reasoning would have been if the BECOME is BECAME. And for your information, the BECOME was a typo error. It sould have been "became". I checked this same question in another site as well.

A user has mentioned that it is a typo error (which is quite possible, if the material is from gmat+).

Regards

Giving another SHOT

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2004, 23:19
Carsen
I still think I will pick C (I do agree there is the problem of 'while').

C.while the Enligh priests, who shunned the odiferous herb, soon became ill

But look at B. Don't u think that it sounds like

...while the english priests were shunning odiferous herbs they soon became ill. It sounds as if it was a progressive action rather than the priests who had shunned the herb became ill. C correctly presents it but the only mistake with C is that it uses 'while'.

Plz correct me if I am wrong.

Satya
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2004, 23:44
I must say this is a unique Q (if not annoying and silly), forget about it....so long as we know what the rules and standards are.

It is hoped (hopefully :) that we won't have typos, wrong answers etc in the real gmat....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2004, 01:24
Hello Sathya

I provide you with one of the website address thru which I enhanced my SC skills to a amajor extent.

Site Moderators - Please delete this post if I am not allowed to post other websites address... Thanks.

http://www.sentencecorrection.com/forum ... Eighteenth

the above address, addresses the issue with the priests. And also, it may be helpful in other ways for you.

Regards

Giving another SHOT

[#permalink] 02 Jun 2004, 01:24