Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Status: "You never fail until you stop trying." ~Albert Einstein~
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 22:54
I chose A over B because the past tense is not needed to clarity a past sequence; "last year" should be enough get the meaning/order of the sentence. Although the OA is B, I understand the reasoning in both A and B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 23:16
In using only one verb tense, were, choice A fails to indicate that the computers were manufactured before sold. Choices C and D use the present perfect tense incorrectly, saying in effect that the computers have been manufactured after they were sold last year. Choice E suggests that the manufacturing of the notebook computers, rather than selling, occurred last year, thus making the sequence of events unclear. Only B uses verb tenses correctly to indicate that manufacturing of the computers was completed prior to the selling.

I find this explanation on http://www.gmatcat.com/yw/Chapter2_SC_02.htm

Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 01:31
"has been" is correct tense..so its B

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 09:33
Darn.. I chose A! Thanks iCandy. And yes, I too hope this does NOT appear in the GMAT :)

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 04:44
I chose B. 'had been' is needed to indicate that manufacturing happened before selling.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 12:44
I went with A but understood now why B is correct
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 42

Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 23:19
two interesting explanations have been put forward by iCandy and x2suresh.. this has become more confusing
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 00:09
B. clearly i think here "manufacture" event happened before "sell".
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.78
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 01:47
OA should not be B,

We don't need to know whether computers were definitely manufactured prior to selling, its so obvious that we don't need to stress the timings here. you can't sell a computer that is not manufactured. Here the stress is they were manufactured in China.

There are two un-related events, which should not require past perfect.

Computers manufactured in China.
(those)Computers sold in US.

the Battle continues ..

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 05:56
Initially choose A, but recognize that there are two actions in the past, and manufactured is before sold, so need past perfect here.

Another lesson learned. Always check the time order of the verbs to determine the tense
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 07:27
+1 b
had been required to differentiate the sequence of events.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 23:07
B
had been manufactured than sold
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 07:20
Could any SC expert please help me on this question?
in below link, I asked: shouldn't we use "past perfect"? (I mean, had not been counted instead of did not count)

http://gmatclub.com/forum/boy-i-just-love-these-4-line-long-scs-pretty-soon-they-will-51663.html#p1029101

and they replied me: we should use past perfect only if we need to emphasize the sequence of time.

But these 2 questions are somehow similar. aren't they?

Why should we use past perfect in this question?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 19:56
Clearly, D & E is out in first glance itself
A),B) and C), I think we all know why c) is wrong.
Now left to A) and B), a slight confusion I must say - Manufacturing did happen earlier than selling.(obvious fact).Hence, there is no need to apply Past Perfect here.Past Perfect is only applied if you need to clearly differentiate between the timings of the action.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 84

Re: Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 16:23
rampuria wrote:
Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in United States last year were manufactured in China, a country that has the largest population in the world.

A. Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in United States last year were
B. Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in United States last year had been
C. Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in United States last year have been
D. Last year eighty percent of notebook computers were sold in United States that have been
E. Last year eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in United States had been

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B

Please explain

OA - B / D - both seems tue. But D changes the meaning . emphasis on last year rather then quantity of computers sold.

Thanks for posting

:-D

Thanks for Posting

LEARN TO ANALYSE

+1 kudos if you like

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 08:33
Close choice between B and E .
B seems to be the better answer .
We need the past perfect tense here since we have two actions manufacturing and selling . Obviously manufacturing has taken place before selling and to make sense we need the "had....." .

I think E would have been correct if worded "Last year eighty percent of notebook computers sold in United States had been "
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 11:33
atish wrote:
B is the correct usage of past perfect tense. The computers were manufactured at a point in time in the past which was prior to the sale date, also in the past (last year). E is incorrect because Last year eighty percent of is incoherent with the rest of the sentence.

Thanks dude, but on the other hand, as other members mentioned above what's the deal with the use of had been when we already have 'last year' signaling the correct order of events

Thanks
Cheers
J
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 52

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 01:32
Confusing, hopefully an expert can chime in...I picked B, but now I'm having doubts...

On one hand, PP seems justified because we are describing 2 interdependent past events where one precedes the other.

On the other hand, PP may not be justified as there is really no need to clarify the sequence of events (obviously you can't sell the computers before they are built).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2014, 09:25
it should be a. as the sentence contains the "last year",can't use present perfect(not needed,its effect doesn't continue in the present) also,we cant go for past perfect because again,the term last year clearly separates the the two time zones of computers being manufactured and computers being sold..thus i believe that A is the only answer choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 29

Re: Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2014, 19:24
Option B.
In A,simple past is used twice;whereas two past actions should use simple past and past perfect in that order.

In D & E,meaning is changed with change in placement of 'last year'.It should be 'no. Of computers sold last year' and not 'Last year eighty %...'

In C,present perfect is used incorrectly.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2014, 19:24