Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: La Martiniere for Boys
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

43% (01:45) correct 57% (00:39) wrong based on 461 sessions
Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in United States last year were manufactured in China, a country that has the largest population in the world.

A. Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in United States last year were
B. Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in United States last year had been
C. Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in United States last year have been
D. Last year eighty percent of notebook computers were sold in United States that have been
E. Last year eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in United States had been

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B

Please explain
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Thanks
rampuria

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 214 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 08:37
This post received
KUDOS
rampuria wrote:
3. Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in United States last year were manufactured in China, a country that has the largest population in the world.

A. Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in United States last year were

B. Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in United States last year had been

C. Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in United States last year have been

D. Last year eighty percent of notebook computers were sold in United States that have been

E. Last year eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in United States had been

Please explain

Very subtle issue here in this Q. Initially I chose A but changed to B

Clearly D & E are out as they are not parallel or change the meaning

C is out as it uses present continuous, which is not needed

Between A & B, I initially chose A as we are looking at a past action of last year.

How ever, there are two actions last year, manufactured and sold.

The first action will use a past perfect and the second action will use simple past. Hence B.
Director
Director
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 09:15
after reading the nice discussion above going with A and not B

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 09:27
This post received
KUDOS
IMO B.

First action manufacture (past perfect) and then the second action sell (past tense).
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 10:10
I chose A.

The sentence has multiple modifiers and verb is in simple past tense.

First modifier is "a country that has the largest population in the world". Hence, the verb tense of this modifier will not affect the main verb tense.

Second modifier is "computers that were sold in United States last year". Again, the verb tense of this modifier will not directly affect the main verb tense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 10:20
rampuria wrote:
3. Eighty percent of notebook computers that were sold in United States last year were manufactured in China, a country that has the largest population in the world.

Please explain

No issue of "tense" in this sentence. We are talking about the number of computers that were sold last year. Simple past tense should do. A should be the answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 11:18
A.

I believe past perfect needs to be used ONLY when specifically intended to EMPHASIZE that one incident happened before the other.

In the question, the duration of the incidents in question both happened last year.

Example:
Last Year: Jan-Dec: computers were sold in China
Last year: Jan-Dec: computers were manufactured in US.

So the incidents themselves occurred at the same time in the past.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 13:23
ConkergMat wrote:
A.

I believe past perfect needs to be used ONLY when specifically intended to EMPHASIZE that one incident happened before the other.

In the question, the duration of the incidents in question both happened last year.

Example:
Last Year: Jan-Dec: computers were sold in China
Last year: Jan-Dec: computers were manufactured in US.

So the incidents themselves occurred at the same time in the past.

How can both manufacturing and selling occur at the same time?

I have no issues with A, but B is better because it shows the distinction even better. I hope I dont see some thing like this on GMAT :)

Also they did not happen in the same country. That it self is enough to prove that there is an interval between M & S.

Your example does not reflect the current situation. Even I eliminated B & E for past perfect to start with but if the Q is testing the subtlety, it has to be B.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 439 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 13:42
I will go with A.

Eighty percent of notebook computers <that were sold in United States last year> were manufactured in China

Main subject: Eighty percent of notebook computers
<that were sold in United States last year> --modifer that modifies "computers"

Remove that above sentence and read it

Eighty percent of notebook computers were manufactured in China

IMO, we don't require "had been" here.

BTW,
What is OA?

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 14:46
x2suresh wrote:
I will go with A.

Eighty percent of notebook computers <that were sold in United States last year> were manufactured in China

Main subject: Eighty percent of notebook computers
<that were sold in United States last year> --modifer that modifies "computers"

Remove that above sentence and read it

Eighty percent of notebook computers were manufactured in China

IMO, we don't require "had been" here.

BTW,
What is OA?

I am afraid you cannot use the dependent clause strategy here on the modifier.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 15:54
rampuria wrote:

Please explain

This is a very poor question, IMO - I dont think people should be learning from such questions.
1. "last year" in A, B, and C is dubious - is it part of a "that" clause or the overall sentence?
2. In D and E, moving "last year" to the start of the sentence changes the meaning of the sentence. Still, D and E are grammatically meaningless.
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 17:11
I dnt think it is a poor question and we cant learn frm this question. The will solve the debate whether to use past tense or past perfect tense. anyways, i will go with A here. Rampuria, pls post the OA
botirvoy wrote:
rampuria wrote:

Please explain

This is a very poor question, IMO - I dont think people should be learning from such questions.
1. "last year" in A, B, and C is dubious - is it part of a "that" clause or the overall sentence?
2. In D and E, moving "last year" to the start of the sentence changes the meaning of the sentence. Still, D and E are grammatically meaningless.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: La Martiniere for Boys

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 07:38
OA is B

Thanks
rampuria

Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 07:40
Good job icandy :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 11:03
icandy wrote:
rampuria wrote:

Please explain

Very subtle issue here in this Q. Initially I chose A but changed to B

Clearly D & E are out as they are not parallel or change the meaning

C is out as it uses present continuous, which is not needed

Between A & B, I initially chose A as we are looking at a past action of last year.

How ever, there are two actions last year, manufactured and sold.

The first action will use a past perfect and the second action will use simple past. Hence B.

Even though there were two actions last year, the action "manufactured" didn't affect the action "sold". Can't be B.

i understand that the OA is B. what is the source of this question?
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 13:04
rampuria wrote:
OA is B

You use past perfect tense only when doing otherwise leads to confusion. Here there is no need for it.
I still stand by what I said; this is a misleading question to learn from.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2009, 13:01
IMO B. Since the computers had already been manufactured,
had been is correct

A kudos would greatly help :)

Tuhin

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2009, 19:13
rampuria, Can you kindly reveal the source of this question and the explanation of OA?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
WE 1: 5 Years
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2009, 09:47
B is the correct usage of past perfect tense. The computers were manufactured at a point in time in the past which was prior to the sale date, also in the past (last year). E is incorrect because Last year eighty percent of is incoherent with the rest of the sentence.

Rock On

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Computers [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 05:56
I'll go with B

Had been is appropriate for earlier past action.
Re: SC - Computers   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2011, 05:56