Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 22:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Either food scarcity or excessive hunting can threaten a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Either food scarcity or excessive hunting can threaten a [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 17:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (02:26) correct 12% (01:15) wrong based on 193 sessions
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 25
Page: 124
Difficulty:

Which of the following most logically completes the reasoning?

Either food scarcity or excessive hunting can threaten a population of animals. If the group faces food scarcity, individuals in the group will reach reproductive maturity later than otherwise. If the group faces excessive hunting, individuals that reach reproductive maturity earlier will come to predominate. Therefore, it should be possible to determine whether prehistoric mastodons became extinct because of food scarcity or human hunting, since there are fossilized mastodon remains from both before and after mastodon populations declined, and __________.

A) there are more fossilized mastodon remains from the period before mastodon populations began to decline than from after that period.
B) the average age at which mastodons from a given period reach reproductive maturity can be established from their fossilized remains
C) it can be accurately estimated from fossilized remains when mastodons became extinct
D) it is not known when humans first began hunting mastodons
E) climate changes may have gradually reduced the food available to mastodons.

This is a question from the Verbal Review book from The Official Guide. Explanations would be greatly appreciated
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Narenn on 16 Oct 2013, 06:33, edited 3 times in total.
Necessary Corrections for Official Guide Verbal Review 2nd Edition Project
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 484 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT question [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 20:18
Hi HBS, welcome the club!!

Find my comments in colors below.

HBSDreamer2015 wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the reasoning?

Either food scarcity or excessive hunting can threaten a population of animals. If the group faces food scarcity, individuals in the group will reach reproductive maturity later than otherwise. If the group faces excessive hunting, individuals that reach reproductive maturity earlier will come to predominate. Therefore, it should be possible to determine whether prehistoric mastodons became extinct because of food scarcity or human hunting, since there are fossilized mastodon remains from both before and after mastodon populations declined, and __________.

A) there are more fossilized mastodon remains from the period before mastodon populations began to decline than from after that period. Incorrect-the quantity of available fossils before and after decline is not needed here
B) the average age at which mastodons from a given period reach reproductive maturity can be established from their fossilized remains Correct-To find out the reason of extinction of mastodons, we need to know the reproductive maturity mastodons.
C) it can be accurately estimated from fossilized remains when mastodons became extinct- Incorrect-time of extinction is ir-revlevant.
D) it is not known when humans first began hunting mastodons. Incorrect- period of hunting is ir-relevant.
E) climate changes may have gradually reduced the food available to mastodons. Incorrect-

Thanks

So, IMO "B"

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8783 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT question [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 07:45
Expert's post
Moved to the CR forum.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 484 [0], given: 157

Re: GMAT question [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 09:05
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT question [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 13:13
+1 B

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Economics Prague
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

Re: GMAT question [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 06:14
+B
Easy one :)

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 66

Re: GMAT question [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 10:39
Yes it's B. Reproductive maturity is the only thing that enables one to find how they declined:
Late RM - Food scarcity
Earlier RM - Human hunting
Q - is about how they were able to find out which one of these two factors brought about the mastodon's decline. B clears it all up. IMHO

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT question [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 12:38
Guys But what do the follized remains before and after the mastodons declined have to do with the objective ? Can someone elaborate

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: GMAT question [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 06:14
mundasingh123 wrote:
Guys But what do the follized remains before and after the mastodons declined have to do with the objective ? Can someone elaborate

@mundasingh, According to the passage, when a certain animal popn declines it is either because b/c of human hunting or b/c or food scarcity. The fossilized remains are the things with which the scientists can determine whether their reproductive maturity was late or early (whether they were hunted or went hungry).

HTH

-Nelson Mandela

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT question [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 06:44
mariyea wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:

@mundasingh, According to the passage, when a certain animal popn declines it is either because b/c of human hunting or b/c or food scarcity. The fossilized remains are the things with which the scientists can determine whether their reproductive maturity was late or early (whether they were hunted or went hungry).

HTH

Hi Mariyea thanks for the reply.In that case inspecting the fossilized remains of the mastodons after the decline for absence of sexul maturity should be enuf to find out the cause .
How will the fossilized reamins of the mastodons after the decline help ?

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: GMAT question [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 08:02
mundasingh123 wrote:
mariyea wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:

HTH

Hi Mariyea thanks for the reply.In that case inspecting the fossilized remains of the mastodons after the decline for absence of sexul maturity should be enuf to find out the cause .
How will the fossilized reamins of the mastodons after the decline help ?

When the fossilized remains shows information on the mastodon's decline, it means something was causing their numbers to decrease.

The information (on whether human hunting or food scarcity caused a decrease in their number) can be found in the fossil remains. The fossil remains (after the decline) would have some information on the mastodon's sexual maturity (whether the mastodons matured faster than usual or they matured slower than usual). The option that (kind of) leans toward this statement is correct.

-Nelson Mandela

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT question [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 08:06
B is simple enough . though i never heard what is a mastodon

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT question [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 17:15
I have chosen the answer B for this question:

A. This answer choice only states the obvious assumption. Also, this statement does not help us identify whether the mastodon's became extinct because of food scarcity or excessive hunting.

B. This is the correct answer. By knowing the average age of reproductive maturity of the fossils, you can identify whether the fossils are in the "early stages" or whether they are in the "late stages." This will essentially tell you how the mastodon's became extinct - food scarcity or excessive hunting.

C. This answer choice tells us nothing. However, if the fossils were before the time of "hunting," then we could assume that the mastodons became extinct because of food scarcity.

D. Since it is not known when humans began hunting, this answer choice cannot be correct.

E. The fact that climate changes "may have" caused scarcity indicates some uncertainty. Also, it doesn't give us any additional information about the fossils.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: Q V0
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 46

Re: GMAT question [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 18:26
+B..the average age at which mastodons from a given period reach reproductive maturity can be established from their fossilized remains

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 31

Re: GMAT question [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 22:31
B is the only one relevant, giving necessary details

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 11

Re: GMAT question [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 16:43
This post received
KUDOS
One way I find you can resolve this kind of questions which doesn't show direct flow is to sketch simple diagram

species ->hunted
|
early rep.

species -> less food
|
late rep.

this helps me not to re-read the premise again & waste time / get confused
Re: GMAT question   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2013, 16:43