Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Either Perry s faction or Tucker s faction, but not both,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 11:11
i pick D ...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 12:55
Certainly D.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 21:07
Initially I selected c , but looking at the explanation by Vannbj, D seems to be correct answer.

@Vannbj,
Please advise what are the other different type of CR questions where we need to consider this approach.

Thanks in advance.

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [2] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 10:02
This post received
KUDOS
RenukaD wrote:
Initially I selected c , but looking at the explanation by Vannbj, D seems to be correct answer.

@Vannbj,
Please advise what are the other different type of CR questions where we need to consider this approach.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure I understand your question. But I’d take this approach with just about every critical reasoning question. You usually can break them down into logical equations like math. For instance, “If Bob jumps then his hat will fall off” can be written as “j => h” where “=>” means “then”, “j” means “Bob Jumps” and “h” means “Bob’s hat will fall off.” If we weren’t on a computer then I’d just draw “=>” as an arrow pointing to the right. We can then write the contrapositive “-h => -j” which means in “If Bob’s hat didn’t fall off then he did not jump.” The contrapositive of a logical statement is ALWAYS true and is the first thing I tend to infer from a question like this. But notice that we didn’t say “-j => -h” this says “If Bob didn’t jump then his hat didn’t fall off.” This is a common logical flaw but it’s not substantiated from the original statement. Something else could have caused the hat to fall off. You can generally make up your own equations for any if-then statements. I hope this helps and that I answered your question but like I said, I’m not entirely sure that I understood it. If it does help then I accept kudos :)

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 17:54
vannbj wrote:
RenukaD wrote:

@Vannbj,

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure I understand your question. But I’d take this approach with just about every critical reasoning question. You usually can break them down into logical equations like math. For instance, “If Bob jumps then his hat will fall off” can be written as “j => h” where “=>” means “then”, “j” means “Bob Jumps” and “h” means “Bob’s hat will fall off.” If we weren’t on a computer then I’d just draw “=>” as an arrow pointing to the right. We can then write the contrapositive “-h => -j” which means in “If Bob’s hat didn’t fall off then he did not jump.” The contrapositive of a logical statement is ALWAYS true and is the first thing I tend to infer from a question like this. But notice that we didn’t say “-j => -h” this says “If Bob didn’t jump then his hat didn’t fall off.” This is a common logical flaw but it’s not substantiated from the original statement. Something else could have caused the hat to fall off. You can generally make up your own equations for any if-then statements. I hope this helps and that I answered your question but like I said, I’m not entirely sure that I understood it. If it does help then I accept kudos :)

Hello Vannbj,

Yes you understood my question correctly and thanks for your input :)

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 years - Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 27

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 03:35
Pkit wrote:
C.
:)

Reasons:
1)Powerscore critical reasoning bible states that Correct answer could be either paraphrase of stimulus or part of it or could be logical conclusion of it.
Also, CR Bible suggest to use Fact Test (TM) by referring answer choices back to the stimulus to see whether it is really supported by the stimuli . remember that in must be true questions stimuli is correct, answer choices are under suspicion.
2)If stiumuli uses strong words (will/must/undoubtedly) that limit the scope of stimuli - the correct answer choice must have strong words as well.

Lets boil down to the stimuli and answer choices:
Either Perry’s faction or Tucker’s faction, but not both, will win control of the government. If Perry’s faction wins, the nation will suffer economically. If Tucker’s faction wins, the nation will suffer militarily.

Summary:
Only one faction will win elections. Either P or T. No other alternatives are stated. You should not assume anything else.
If F wins -> the nation will suffer economically
If T wins -> the nation will suffer militarily.
Inference: In any of cases, the nation will suffer either economically of militarily.

(A) It is possible, but not certain, that the nation will neither suffer economically nor suffer militarily. eiliminate for possibility, stimuli states certainly about consequences.
(B) If the nation suffers economically, it is certain that Perry’s faction has won control of the government. - lets keep it as a contender.
(C) It is certain that the nation will suffer either economically or militarily, and also certain that it will not suffer both. - gooood, lets keep it as a contender.
(D) If the nation suffers militarily, it is possible, but not certain, that Tucker’s faction has won control of the government. eiliminate for possibility, stimuli states certainly about consequences.
(E) If the nation suffers both economically and militarily, it is certain that neither Perry’s faction nor Tucker’s has won control of the government. - no alternatives

C is the better answer choice than B, since C comprises all argument:
- the nation will suffer either economically or militarily - it is fully supoprted by stimuli
- certain that it will not suffer both - no alternatives, fully supoprted by stimuli.

8-)

Hi Pkit,

Good analysis, but you missed the strong word Certain, in option C (second Certain) - While with the premises, we can say that that the nation will suffer either economically or militarily but we cannot be certain saying that the nation will not suffer from BOTH.

Again for D -> "It is possible but not certain" makes it preferred choice, as it is possible that T. faction has won, or it may also be possible that P. faction has won, which caused economic adversity and which may have caused the military to suffer.

Consider giving Kudos if my post helps in some way

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 5

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 04:51
Has to be (D).

gmatprep09 wrote:
Either Perry’s faction or Tucker’s faction, but not both, will win control of the government. If Perry’s faction wins, the nation will suffer economically. If Tucker’s faction wins, the nation will suffer militarily.
Given the statements in the passage, which one of the following statements must be true?

(A) It is possible, but not certain, that the nation will neither suffer economically nor suffer militarily. One of the factions will definitely win, and either one will definitely cause one of these to happen. Clearly false.

(B) If the nation suffers economically, it is certain that Perry’s faction has won control of the government. Converse argument, not necessarily true: A -> B does not mean B -> A. There's no reason given that Tucker's faction can't cause economic hardship.

(C) It is certain that the nation will suffer either economically or militarily, and also certain that it will not suffer both. While it IS certain that the nation will suffer either economically or militarily (see (A)), the given statements do not say that they are mutually exclusive. Nowhere does it state that Tucker's faction CAN'T cause economic hardship, or that Perry's CAN'T cause military hardship.

(D) If the nation suffers militarily, it is possible, but not certain, that Tucker’s faction has won control of the government. Clearly correct - not a converse argument. If Tucker wins, the nation will definitely suffer militarily. Thus, if the country suffers militarily, Tucker MAY have won, but you don't know for sure. Military suffering may be caused by a number of things, but we know for a fact that Tucker's faction winning is one of those possibilities. Correct choice.

(E) If the nation suffers both economically and militarily, it is certain that neither Perry’s faction nor Tucker’s has won control of the government. This one is just really far gone and doesn't follow the statements no matter how you twist them.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 08:19
Great discussion. Ya, the OA is D.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 23:45
i also opted for D.
the reason has already been explained. :P
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 01:51
I went with C first....:(

well it have to be D........:)

Whatever you do, Do it SINCERELY!!!

GOD help those who help themselves....:)

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 02:15
vannbj wrote:
RenukaD wrote:

@Vannbj,

Thanks in advance.

hey vannbj superb explaination
accept the kudos.........: :P

Whatever you do, Do it SINCERELY!!!

GOD help those who help themselves....:)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 02:54
WOW!!! was initially confsed between c and d, went with c first. Damn its wrong. I understood now :)

Regards
Ganesh
Class of 2012
Great Lakes Institute of Management
http://greatlakes.edu.in

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 05:31
D is correct for me. ANd nice explanation
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 07:41
what's wrong with C?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 5

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 08:43
imania wrote:
what's wrong with C?

TehJay wrote:
(C) It is certain that the nation will suffer either economically or militarily, and also certain that it will not suffer both. While it IS certain that the nation will suffer either economically or militarily (see (A)), the given statements do not say that they are mutually exclusive. Nowhere does it state that Tucker's faction CAN'T cause economic hardship, or that Perry's CAN'T cause military hardship.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 15

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 22:02
very good explanation and discussion. It has to be D. I fell for C but this part in the end of C " and also certain that it will not suffer both." makes C incorrect. No body said that under one regime ONLY one thing will happen, it says one thing will happen.

-AD

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 14:17
+1 for D. What's the OA?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 15:54
D seems reasonable.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 14:30
I vote D. "It is certain" in option C is a strong statement that "MUST" be true.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 66

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 07:26
Where can I get Lsat qs? can someone please tell me :)

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Re: CR Must be true type   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2010, 07:26