Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 04:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Either Perry s faction or Tucker s faction, but not both,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Either Perry s faction or Tucker s faction, but not both, [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 18:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

39% (02:07) correct 61% (01:16) wrong based on 96 sessions
Either Perry’s faction or Tucker’s faction, but not both, will win control of the government. If Perry’s faction wins, the nation will suffer economically. If Tucker’s faction wins, the nation will suffer militarily.
Given the statements in the passage, which one of the following statements must be true?
(A) It is possible, but not certain, that the nation will neither suffer economically nor suffer militarily.
(B) If the nation suffers economically, it is certain that Perry’s faction has won control of the government.
(C) It is certain that the nation will suffer either economically or militarily, and also certain that it will not suffer both.
(D) If the nation suffers militarily, it is possible, but not certain, that Tucker’s faction has won control of the government.
(E) If the nation suffers both economically and militarily, it is certain that neither Perry’s faction nor Tucker’s has won control of the government.

I know that if A implies B then B implies A is not necessairly true. However, can someone explain the reason for C to be wrong in terms of logical deductions? Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 23:36
This post received
KUDOS
gmatprep09 wrote:
Either Perry’s faction or Tucker’s faction, but not both, will win control of the government. If Perry’s faction wins, the nation will suffer economically. If Tucker’s faction wins, the nation will suffer militarily.
Given the statements in the passage, which one of the following statements must be true?
(A) It is possible, but not certain, that the nation will neither suffer economically nor suffer militarily.
(B) If the nation suffers economically, it is certain that Perry’s faction has won control of the government.
(C) It is certain that the nation will suffer either economically or militarily, and also certain that it will not suffer both.
(D) If the nation suffers militarily, it is possible, but not certain, that Tucker’s faction has won control of the government.
(E) If the nation suffers both economically and militarily, it is certain that neither Perry’s faction nor Tucker’s has won control of the government.

I know that if A implies B then B implies A is not necessairly true. However, can someone explain the reason for C to be wrong in terms of logical deductions? Thanks

Let's crack C:

It is certain that the nation will suffer either economically or militarily : Do we have only two options??..NO.
In the argument, its mentioned that If A happens B would happen and if C happen D would happen, but its not been mentioned that only A and C could happen and there can NO other option..!!

and also certain that it will not suffer both : Cannot be said..!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 01:26
What's the OA for this?

But there’s something in me that just keeps going on. I think it has something to do with tomorrow, that there is always one, and that everything can change when it comes.
http://aimingformba.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 05:15
gmatprep09 wrote:

Stem says that If A then B and If C then D. But If A happens B will happen and D may/may not happen. There is no restriction on D. Similarly If C happens then D will happen and B also may/may not happen.
I think the answer should be D. If B has happened, it is due to A or it happened because of some other reason.
Let me know the OA pls.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 07:04

D Nothing else must be true. If the nation sufferers militarily then it could be Tucker’s faction or it could be something else.
A is impossible. it will suffer one of one or the other.
B. Something else could cause economical suffering.
C. it is not certain that it will suffer both since both of them cannot simultaneously win and control the govt
E. This just doesn’t make any cotton-pickin sense. I won’t even justify it with and answer

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 08:13
I made it to C or D.
For C it should be certain that any one will win. But passage do not show that certainity.

So Answer should be D.

What is OA?

+1Kudos, if this helps

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 08:49
Going for Option D. OA pls
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 13:08
OA must be D on this one for sure.

I support D.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ros.
Nice Post + Some help + Lucid solution = Kudos

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do | Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 01:59
one more for D.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 10:03
i vote for (D)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 154

Kudos [?]: 510 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 00:46
C.
:)

Reasons:
1)Powerscore critical reasoning bible states that Correct answer could be either paraphrase of stimulus or part of it or could be logical conclusion of it.
Also, CR Bible suggest to use Fact Test (TM) by referring answer choices back to the stimulus to see whether it is really supported by the stimuli . remember that in must be true questions stimuli is correct, answer choices are under suspicion.
2)If stiumuli uses strong words (will/must/undoubtedly) that limit the scope of stimuli - the correct answer choice must have strong words as well.

Lets boil down to the stimuli and answer choices:

Summary:
Only one faction will win elections. Either P or T. No other alternatives are stated. You should not assume anything else.
If F wins -> the nation will suffer economically
If T wins -> the nation will suffer militarily.
Inference: In any of cases, the nation will suffer either economically of militarily.

(A) It is possible, but not certain, that the nation will neither suffer economically nor suffer militarily. eiliminate for possibility, stimuli states certainly about consequences.
(B) If the nation suffers economically, it is certain that Perry’s faction has won control of the government. - lets keep it as a contender.
(C) It is certain that the nation will suffer either economically or militarily, and also certain that it will not suffer both. - gooood, lets keep it as a contender.
(D) If the nation suffers militarily, it is possible, but not certain, that Tucker’s faction has won control of the government. eiliminate for possibility, stimuli states certainly about consequences.
(E) If the nation suffers both economically and militarily, it is certain that neither Perry’s faction nor Tucker’s has won control of the government. - no alternatives

C is the better answer choice than B, since C comprises all argument:
- the nation will suffer either economically or militarily - it is fully supoprted by stimuli
- certain that it will not suffer both - no alternatives, fully supoprted by stimuli.

8-)

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 04:09
Another support for D

C is wrong because the second part does not follow : the argument does not mention any mutual exclusivity of military suffer and economic suffer. it could be true that it wont suffer both at the same time but it could be also true that it will suffer both at the same time. Nothing prevents both to exist together but there will be only one faction winning.

http://www.hannibalprep.com

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 06:27
Stimuli states certainly about consequences of election.
D - expresses uncertainty. If stimuli had expressed uncertainty than D would have been correct.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 07:28
Pkit,
C is wrong. The stem even says so. The reason is the second part of the statement in C. Something else besides T or P's faction could cause military or economic hardship. Only D must be true. If we do see military suffering it could be because T won control or something else could cause it. I don’t know how else to say it. C is wrong.

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 08:23
vannbj wrote:
Pkit,
C is wrong. The stem even says so. The reason is the second part of the statement in C. Something else besides T or P's faction could cause military or economic hardship. Only D must be true. If we do see military suffering it could be because T won control or something else could cause it. I don’t know how else to say it. C is wrong.

vannbj,
Stem says: "Either Perry’s faction or Tucker’s faction, but not both, will win control of the government". I understand that only two factions are participating in elections: either P or T. There is no mention of other faction and we can not bring outside information here.
Or you mean something else (circumstances for example)?

Audaces fortuna juvat!

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [2] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 09:14
This post received
KUDOS
Pkit wrote:
If the nation suffers militarily, it is possible, but not certain, that Tucker’s faction has won control of the government.

Yeah I see what you mean. This is an LSAT question and though it may make sense to some to think that some other cause cannot bring about the suffering by the logic of question writers it can't be ruled out. You're right in that there are no other factions who will take control but you're assuming that a faction has to cause the military or economic suffering. A housing crisis could cause economic suffering and a terrorist attack could cause military suffering. It's like saying "either Johnny or Billy will walk by here but not both. If Johnny comes then he will certainly poop in this spot. If Billy comes then he will drop his icecream in this spot. Because I see poop on the ground Johnny walked by here." But this is not true. What if you see poop and ice cream? That means Billy walked by but we know that Johnny didn’t drop the poop someone else did. Maybe Billy? We don’t know. That’s why D must be true. It’s the equivalent of saying “If I see poop in this spot it’s possible but not certain that Johnny walked by.”

Here's a link with the same question
lsat-cr-79739.html

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 09:38
Thanks. Yeah , I understand what you mean.
LSAT CR is more difficult for me than GMAT CR.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 09:44
I vote for D! The scenarios in A, B, D and E could very well not hold.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 10:31
To follow on the mates explanation above, D is an example of syllogism where:

If A then B , could be rephrased as if Not B then Not A and if B then may be A.

Take the example of: If I am in France, I am in Europe

If I am not in Europe, I am not in France. ( Not B then Not A)

If I am in Europe, I may be in France ( B then may be A).

All other violate this logical rule or add extra information.

http://www.hannibalprep.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR Must be true type [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 10:55
+1 FOR D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amar
http://amarnaik.wordpress.com

Re: CR Must be true type   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2010, 10:55