Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 09:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Elements of Style" for Verbal/SC GMAT Practice?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

"Elements of Style" for Verbal/SC GMAT Practice? [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2006, 19:29
Has anyone used Strunk & White's "Elements of Style" as preparation for the verbal/sentence correction component of the GMAT?

If so, any comments on how effective it is as a study resource?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Not a bad idea [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2006, 03:20
Hi Art,

I also used the Strunk and White's Elements of Style to review. It's not a bad idea. It will cover all the bases. Sections I to IV will be useful. However, I wished that there were more examples.

I think using this small book is a good complement to OG 11.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2006, 00:37
S&W should be helpful for the AWA section and the app essays

My Profile/GMAT/MBA Story
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/111-t59345

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2007, 05:35
someone recommended this book to me as a general guide to improve my language skills ..highly recommend it
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 80 [1] , given: 21

Re: "Elements of Style" for Verbal/SC GMAT Practice? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 15:25
This post received
KUDOS
Hiii, I have gone through this book and I will recommend this classic to everyone. I believe this book has had a tremendous influence on American English in 20th century. And yes this book is very relevant for Gmat. (Both SC and AWA)

The book is available legally for free on Internet. Read the whole book here. There is nothing unnecessary in this book. Its very short & concise but mighty effective at the same time.
http://www.crockford.com/wrrrld/style.html
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 62

Re: "Elements of Style" for Verbal/SC GMAT Practice? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 19:47
+1
Yes, the book serves the purpose. I have reached page 17, but completely spot on.
Explains to the point. A great concise book !!!
Wish I had read this earlier.

Labor cost for typing this post >= Labor cost for pushing the Kudos Button
kudos-what-are-they-and-why-we-have-them-94812.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: "Elements of Style" for Verbal/SC GMAT Practice? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 15:50
Wish I knew about this book earlier :) But well... some people just like to hold their nose from behind the head!

I will review this book for my personal interest after the GMAT.

Aj85 wrote:
Hiii, I have gone through this book and I will recommend this classic to everyone. I believe this book has had a tremendous influence on American English in 20th century. And yes this book is very relevant for Gmat. (Both SC and AWA)

The book is available legally for free on Internet. Read the whole book here. There is nothing unnecessary in this book. Its very short & concise but mighty effective at the same time.
http://www.crockford.com/wrrrld/style.html

Also available in PDF version for free: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~jms/doc/elos.pdf :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 62

Re: "Elements of Style" for Verbal/SC GMAT Practice? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 18:49
This post received
KUDOS
Read and tried to comprehend this book.
The best paper on English for GMAT - SC/RC and even for essays to schools.

Pros
- Concise and to the point with each topic covered in bullet points.
- No extra jargon or unnecessary words. On the contrary tells you when not to use !!!
- All the explanations are the same that OG says in the explanations. I guess this is the book read by test-makers and the one I should have read in school in an educated manner.

Cons
- From the GMAT angle, no need of going through - "IV. A Few Matters of Form"

- Some noticeable errors, but they are very less and purely because of the period when it was written.
for example, in topic "18. Place the emphatic words of a sentence at the end."
This steel is principally used for making razors, because of its hardness.
Because of its hardness, this steel is principally used in making razors.
The corrected version changes the meaning. It should be
Because of its hardness, this steel is principally used for making razors.

- Another example from the same topic that is too wordy. Since it was published in 1918, that can be the reason for the wordiness.
Four centuries ago, Christopher Columbus, one of the Italian mariners whom the decline of their own republics had put at the service of the world and of adventure, seeking for Spain a westward passage to the Indies as a set-off against the achievements of Portuguese discoverers, lighted on America.

This would be easy to understand as -
Four centuries ago, Christopher Columbus, one of the Italian mariners whom the decline of their own republics had put at the service of the world and of adventure, seeking for Spain a westward passage to the Indies to offset the achievement of Portuguese discoverers, lighted on America.

- "V. Words and Expressions Commonly Misused" can be used as a primer, but again the examples have an old style. The best version is at http://orwell.ru/library/others/style/english/estyle

For all the above examples, I referred http://orwell.ru/library/others/style/english/estyle in conjunction.

For any grammar fanatic, who wants to learn the mathematical relationship between words, sentences, paragraphs and composition, there is a paper on Technical writing published by NASA at http://www.sti.nasa.gov/publish/sp7084.pdf
I have not read this, but would love to read a detailed review from anyone. Advance kudos to anyone who posts a review or even PMs me on this.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 62

Re: "Elements of Style" for Verbal/SC GMAT Practice? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 20:43
The book from NASA that was mentioned in my earlier post is for Technical Writing.
You, however, can refer to http://www.stat.osu.edu/~hangang/writing.pdf for the Mathematical writing guide. This is the book on "Rules of Mathematical Writing" that takes excerpts from ‘Mathematical writing’ and ‘The Elements of Style’.

Re: "Elements of Style" for Verbal/SC GMAT Practice?   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2011, 20:43