Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Eliminating careless mistakes!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Eliminating careless mistakes! [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 09:58
Hello!

I've been taking a lot of practice tests and realize that 90% of the mistakes I make are due to careless errors. Either I misread the question, or missed something in one of the answer choices. I really need help as to how to rid this annoying tendency! I have tried everything from rereading, to double checking, but I still manage to make careless mistakes. I think that when I am reading the question, I get really caught up in analyzing and then ultimately lost. If anyone else had a similar issue, please do share with me how you resolved this issue. My test is in 2 days and I am nervous as heck!!!

Thanks,
Trulyblessed

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 11:33
I think that's one of the hardest things about the GMAT. TB, you need to RELAX!!!! True, it's a huge part of your application but the GMAT isn't make or break you. Essays and other parts are important as well. That being said....

I've found that when I get like you are right now that it's time to take a break. I'm not saying a week or even a day. I usually spend about 4 hours a day studying GMAT and when you keep missing little things here and there it's more because you're not focusing correctly. You've worked your brain into such a frenzy that you're almost second guessing yourself the minute you decide on something. When you feel the wheels spinning, STOP! Take a break. Do something that you find relaxing: play with your dog, watch TV, play video games, go shopping.... I always find that my mistakes go down after I've taken a small break.

woohoo's post has really helped me study better than before. He's got a lot of good hints. His DS system helped me immediately.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=18525

I hope that this helps. I'm sure that you'll do very well on the GMAT.

Just remember that the GMAT WANTS you to feel this way. Don't let it get to you like this! :boxer2
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2005, 14:01
I've actually been famous for careless mistakes in the past. In high school, it was a running joke that I'd get entire complicated solutions to problems right, and add 1+1 and get 1 in the last step of the problem.

There's really no magic solution to getting them right. Re-reading and taking a step back from the numbers, double-checking, and waiting a second before hitting "confirm" to make sure you didn't miss anything obvious, are all I can think of. And if you do make a careless mistake or two, take heart: most people do and they probably won't affect your score too much if you're getting most of the questions right.
  [#permalink] 25 Sep 2005, 14:01