Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 10:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

77% (01:48) correct 23% (01:11) wrong based on 27 sessions
Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while they once ranged over virtually all of the continental United States except for a small strip in the extreme Southwest.

A. Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while
B. The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it seem that they are mountain dwellers, but
C. It would seem that elk would be mountain dwellers because of their living now solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, but still
D. Now living almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, it would seem that elk were mountain dwellers, although
E. It seems that elk would be mountain dwellers from the fact that they now live solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, since
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 10:25
I am in for D- tried to avoid pronoun error, which is there in other choices!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 11:36
singh_amit19 wrote:
I am in for D- tried to avoid pronoun error, which is there in other choices!

Going with B here.

For D "Now living almost solely in the Rocky Mountains," should be immediately followed by elk.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - SET 30 Q41 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 16:11
singh_amit19 wrote:
Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while they once ranged over virtually all of the continental United States except for a small strip in the extreme Southwest.

A. Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while
B. The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it seem that they are mountain dwellers, but
C. It would seem that elk would be mountain dwellers because of their living now solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, but still
D. Now living almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, it would seem that elk were mountain dwellers, although
E. It seems that elk would be mountain dwellers from the fact that they now live solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, since

Hard decision between B and D.

I went with D, because "The fact that" in B is needlessly wordy.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - SET 30 Q41 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 16:44
singh_amit19 wrote:

'E' - incorrect - usage of 'would be' - a future tense. Also usage of 'Since' incorrect

'C' - incorrect - same as 'E'

'A' - incorrect - 'it' - Ambiguous and Farway Antecedent

'D' - incorrect - 'were' and 'now' doesn't reconcile.

Hence 'B' will be my choice of answer
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - SET 30 Q41 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 17:34
singh_amit19 wrote:

B.

A: which incorrectly refers to rocky mountains.
C: long awkward phrase. "because of their living" should signal a red flag.
D: Now living almost soley in the rocky mountains... should be followed by the Elk, but the modifier is not so this choice is incorrect.
E: I didn't like this choice because it seemed to change the meaning.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2007, 11:44
Agree with A. In a "which" is modifying the entire clause.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2007, 11:47
humtum0 wrote:

I see a lot of people going for B...

I would go for B if you can explain who "it" and "they" are referring tooo..

Is elk - singular or plural -- thats my doubt...I see in choice A -- "are" referring to elk ...confuses me a lot.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2007, 17:27
After elimination A & B remain.

If I ignore the modifying phrase "which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers", the sentence would become:

Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains while they once ranged over virtually all of the continental United States except for a small strip in the extreme Southwest.

The sentence becomes nonsensical.

Although wordy, B coveys the idea correctly.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 11:21
OA is A
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 17:03
singh_amit19 wrote:
OA is A

Can you please post the official explanation.

Thank you...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2007, 00:14
Beyond700 wrote:
singh_amit19 wrote:
OA is A

Thank you...

Don't have official explanations just answers! Apologies!
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2007, 08:43
singh_amit19 wrote:
OA is A

While I agree that the construction "The fact that..." in B is not the best of constructions yet it's the only answer choice that's error free.

In A - which does NOT have a noun which it can refer to... and in GMAT which usually refers to the nearest preceding noun which in this case is mountains - but that would make the sentence illogical.

I disagree sadly but whole heartedly with the OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2007, 08:52
OA is A?

I would have said B. The "but" in B shows there is some contradiction to the original clause.

A has "while" which also works--however, B would appear to have a stronger stance.

If the OA is truly A, I'm in need of much more SC practice!
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 11

Re: [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 02:10
singh_amit19 wrote:
Beyond700 wrote:
singh_amit19 wrote:
OA is A

Thank you...

Don't have official explanations just answers! Apologies!

Please check your source ! the OA is B.

Thanks,
Ankit

You want something, go get it . Period !

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3677 [0], given: 185

Re: [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 07:09
Expert's post
spider wrote:
humtum0 wrote:

I see a lot of people going for B...

I would go for B if you can explain who "it" and "they" are referring tooo..

Is elk - singular or plural -- thats my doubt...I see in choice A -- "are" referring to elk ...confuses me a lot.

Hi there,

This is the sentence with the correct answer choice B:

The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it seem that they are mountain dwellers, but they once ranged over virtually all of the continental United States except for a small strip in the extreme Southwest.

In this sentence, “it” is not functioning as a proper pronoun. It is rather working as what is called “a placeholder”. For example:

It is very windy today.

In this sentence, “it” is just functioning as a placeholder and thus does not have a definite antecedent. This is the case with the sentence in question as well.

Now, pronoun “they” is referring to “Elk” only. In three out of two choices, “Elk” has been mentioned as plural. This is not uncommon because there are many animals whose plural form does not take “s” at the end. For example: sheep, fish, deer, etc. Also note that the animals belonging to the deer family have the same singular and plural forms. “Elk” happens to be one of them. If you do not know what an “elk” is, read the answer choices. If any of the answer choices has a singular verb to with “Elk” then we may need to see if this entity is singular or plural.
However, in this sentence, it is clear that “elk” has been used as plural entity.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 14:42
i m confused between b&e .plz help .rest a,c,& d i eliminated
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 75 [2] , given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 14:38
This post received
KUDOS

First look: Grammatical construction, logical predication - In general, anytime there is a cause and effect relationship, test-makers have a field day in switching the position of relationship so as to form other answer choices. Typically, if the relationship is constructed with appropriate verb forms, the inverted relationship stands. That said, it's important to stay disciplined and test each clause for its proper components - i.e. verb form, logic predication, etc.

A. Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while "while" signifies at the same time and "ranged once" was past tense, so I thought the sentence was illogical.

B. The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it seem that they are mountain dwellers, but Correct - "They" agree with the pronoun in the non-underlined section of the sentence. The sentence is inherently wordy, so I looked for a better one first.

C. It would seem that elk would be mountain dwellers because of their living now solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, but still Wrong - "But still" is redundant. "Because of their living" is awkward and nonsensical. "solely almost" is reversed and non-sensical.

D. Now living almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, it would seem that elk were mountain dwellers, although Wrong - "Now living" is an dangling modifier.

E. It seems that elk would be mountain dwellers from the fact that they now live solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, since "Solely almost" is reversed, awkward, and non-sensical. Also, I think this answer choice is wordy

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2014, 05:50
singh_amit19 wrote:

A: which refers to Rocky Mountains
B: are is correct tense (it would seem that they are mountain dwellers, present tense because of 'elk now live')
C: would be is wrong. still they once ranged makes no sense
D: were is the wrong tense (now living ....it would seem that elk were)
E: would be is wrong. solely almost changes the meaning
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2014, 05:50