Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 08:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 05:21
grepro wrote:
Lois: As a matter of fact, all three of Shirley's children are fine!

Accepting the assumption that nobody who has measles is fine, which of the following must be true about this exchange?

(A) It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are right about Shirley's children.
(B) It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are mistaken about Shirley's children.
(C) Either Ellen is right about Shirley's children, or Lois is right about them, but they cannot both be right.
(D) Ellen and Lois might both be right about Shirley's children, and they might both be wrong about them.
(E) None of these alternatives correctly identifies the possibilities for this scenario.

the case could also be that ellen wrongly diagnosed the disease as measles.

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 07:54
Tricky question!
I chose C at first, but after going through the explanations, I accept B
as better than C.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB - Co 2013
WE 1: IT Professional since 2006

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 08:24
mundasingh123 wrote:
grepro wrote:

Accepting the assumption that nobody who has measles is fine, which of the following must be true about this exchange?

(B) It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are mistaken about Shirley's children.
(C) Either Ellen is right about Shirley's children, or Lois is right about them, but they cannot both be right.
(D) Ellen and Lois might both be right about Shirley's children, and they might both be wrong about them.
(E) None of these alternatives correctly identifies the possibilities for this scenario.

the case could also be that ellen wrongly diagnosed the disease as measles.

That would be out of scope.

Respect,
Vaibhav

PS: Correct me if I am wrong.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Berkeley Haas, UCLA Anderson, NYU Stern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 09:01
I fell for C as well.

But I now see that it assumes that either ALL THREE are fine or ALL THREE have measels - but since those aren't the only two possibilities the only other sensible answer is B.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 09:25
one more thing: the question does not ask us to take the above statements (comments by the speakers) as true. It only assumes that "nobody who has measles is fine."

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 11

Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 11:05
I'd pick B because of "All children" as only one could be fine etc.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 23:12
"wannabe trick" question....bet the real test wont have anything this contentious
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2010, 05:22
IMO C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 08:08
I fell for C too...there is a possibility that they are both wrong because Shirley's children have some other illness, therefore:

All three of Shirley's children DON'T have the measles!
As a matter of fact, all three of Shirley's children are NOT fine!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 11:16
B.

Who says children who dont have measles are always fine? Maybe they're having other problems. ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 01:01
E - Win
L - Lose

E - Win
L - Win

E - Lose
L - Win

E - Lose
L - Lose

Which of the following must be true? Actually with the given information we can only predict both are wrong. We don't have enough information to predict the others. The first scenario is ruled out by assumption.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 01:51
IMO-C

Nobody != Measels= Fine
Reverse is Everybody= measles != fine

Hence both the statements cannot be correct. Therefore C is the best option.
Can someone please confirm.To me the OA seems incorrect.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 491 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles! [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 05:23
Expert's post
Is it really necessary that there can be only person with the name Sherlie.?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles! [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 08:56
The correct answer is B. The reason I think is, consider a situation:

1 of the children has measles, 2 of them are fine.

In this case both E and L are wrong. So it is entirely possible that both are mistaken about the children.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles! [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 10:58
This question is a real pain in the rear. I picked C at first, but I believe it is B based on what other members have said.

It is possible that the children do not have measles, they could be sick with something else.. Or two could have measles, one is fine.. etc. (Thus, we cannot make the blanket statement about all 3) Therefore, we cannot say that either Lois or Ellen must be correct. It is possible that both are wrong - B.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 52

Re: Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles! [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 11:24
grepro wrote:

Option C is the best in my viewpoint.....how can B be the right????children ither have measle or they dn't have it,,,can somebody explain flaw in my choice of answer...
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 10

Re: Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles! [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 12:24
B for me too! Interesting question.

Both can be wrong as the discussion is about three children. If only one or maximum two of them have measles, then both are wrong since both the statements are about "all three".

Basically, in all cases in which all three are not in the same condition, both the statements would be incorrect.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles! [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 12:58
Hi Experts,

The moment I saw C there was a hint of skepticism as it seems too clear and direct answer!

The bigger take away from this question is not the correct answer, but try to understand how gmat can trick us! (if this is a valid gmat problem).

I request experts to comment on this as to what should we take away from this kind of problem, if it's a legit gmat type problem.

To me C just seem to direct and I wanted to avoid it, but other choices didn't make much sense until I saw people's post here.

thanks
-K
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 11-08-2012
GPA: 2.67
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 4

Re: Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles! [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 04:16
grepro wrote:

I went with option C and here is the explanation for my choice. I'll strict my explanation to only option B and C, since the discussions so far are only on these 2 options.

Let me start with my reason for rejection of option B:

The question says based on X assumption, which of the following must be true?

Option B says that It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are mistaken about Shirley's children.

Actually, no matter what Ellen and Louis say (you can forget about the passage also), this statement is always true. Because it is always "possible" for any two statements to be mistaken together. (Try to think of a situation where it is not even possible for both of them to be mistaken) There really is no need of any assumptions or premises, this statement always holds (only exception is when one says X is true and other says Not X is true).

S, if we say that option B must be true for this exchange, we are not really concluding anything.

Due to such a general nature of option B, I ignored it.

Option C says that:
Either Ellen is right about Shirley's children, or Lois is right about them, but they cannot both be right.

It says that both cannot be right together, which is true if the given assumption holds. Besides, it also leaves room for "both can be wrong". While some of the people have argued that option C means that one of E and L has to be correct, I don't agree.

As per Merriam Webster dictionary, either or means: (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/either-or)
an unavoidable choice or exclusive division between only two alternatives.

So, here if "either or" only means exclusive choice, not the unavoidable one, then both of them can be wrong.

Thus, option C is correct.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
CJ

If this post is helpful, think of giving KUDOS.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles! [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 13:03
Hi,

I posted about this question on Manhattan forums and got an expert to comment on it. The answer was quite what I expected.
This question is not a gmat, but a LSAT type question.

Friends please don't post LSAT questions on gmat forums. The point is not to just randomly solve any CR question but to see/solve more GMAT like questions.

thanks!

-K
Re: Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles!   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2012, 13:03