Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 186
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [3] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles! [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 17:42
3
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (medium)

Question Stats:

21% (02:05) correct 79% (00:59) wrong based on 800 sessions
Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles!
Lois: As a matter of fact, all three of Shirley's children are fine!

Accepting the assumption that nobody who has measles is fine, which of the following must be true about this exchange?

(A) It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are right about Shirley's children.
(B) It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are mistaken about Shirley's children.
(C) Either Ellen is right about Shirley's children, or Lois is right about them, but they cannot both be right.
(D) Ellen and Lois might both be right about Shirley's children, and they might both be wrong about them.
(E) None of these alternatives correctly identifies the possibilities for this scenario.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 244
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 17:49
IMO C.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 102
Schools: Tuck, Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 19:10
IMO C
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Posts: 793
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 20:18
Somehow B is appealing
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 186
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 09:11
OA is B. My only point is either the children can have measles or not have it. So how can both be wrong. One of them has to be correct.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1436
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 209 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 09:28
1
This post received
KUDOS
grepro wrote:
OA is B. My only point is either the children can have measles or not have it. So how can both be wrong. One of them has to be correct.


I am not sure I understood your point. If one of them is correct, How can B be correct, which says that both are possibly wrong.. Lets do a little bit of reverse engineering

E: 3 SC have M

L: 3 SC are fine

A: If one has M, he/she is not fine

B says It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are mistaken about Shirley's children.

So negate what E & L are saying.

A : If one has M, he/she is not fine

E : 3 SC do not have M -> 3SC are fine (Can we say this based on assumption??)

L : 3 SC are not fine.

How can they be both fine and !fine at the same time?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2008
Posts: 210
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 12:49
icandy wrote:
grepro wrote:
OA is B. My only point is either the children can have measles or not have it. So how can both be wrong. One of them has to be correct.


I am not sure I understood your point. If one of them is correct, How can B be correct, which says that both are possibly wrong.. Lets do a little bit of reverse engineering

E: 3 SC have M

L: 3 SC are fine

A: If one has M, he/she is not fine

B says It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are mistaken about Shirley's children.

So negate what E & L are saying.

A : If one has M, he/she is not fine

E : 3 SC do not have M -> 3SC are fine (Can we say this based on assumption??)

L : 3 SC are not fine.

How can they be both fine and !fine at the same time?


I think grepro had a doubt in OA as well. I think C would work better than B does...more thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 350
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 17:37
grepro wrote:
Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles!

Lois: As a matter of fact, all three of Shirley's children are fine!

Accepting the assumption that nobody who has measles is fine, which of the following must be true about this exchange?

A) It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are right about Shirley's children.

B) It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are mistaken about Shirley's children.

C) Either Ellen is right about Shirley's children, or Lois is right about them, but they cannot both be right.

D) Ellen and Lois might both be right about Shirley's children, and they might both be wrong about them.

E) None of these alternatives correctly identifies the possibilities for this scenario.



Assumption: "nobody who has measles is fine" (what a dog of a sentence)- which can be re-stated as- "anyone who has measles is NOT fine" or "anyone who has NO measeles is fine".

Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles!
Lois: As a matter of fact, all three of Shirley's children are fine!

Based on the assumption above, either one of them can only be right.
If Ellen is correct- the children have measles, then they are not fine-> makes Lois's statement incorrect
If Lois is correct- the children are fine, then they cannot have measles-> makes Ellen's statement incorrect.

Hence (C).
_________________

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Posts: 452
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2008, 05:21
grepro wrote:
Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles!

Lois: As a matter of fact, all three of Shirley's children are fine!

Accepting the assumption that nobody who has measles is fine, which of the following must be true about this exchange?

A) It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are right about Shirley's children.

B) It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are mistaken about Shirley's children.

C) Either Ellen is right about Shirley's children, or Lois is right about them, but they cannot both be right.

D) Ellen and Lois might both be right about Shirley's children, and they might both be wrong about them.

E) None of these alternatives correctly identifies the possibilities for this scenario.


IMO B)

The Q ask "must be true". It is possible that Ellen and Lois are mistaken about one or two children of Shirley. C) says either one is right which may or may not be true.
10 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 108 [10] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2008, 08:34
10
This post received
KUDOS
nmohindru wrote:
grepro wrote:
Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles!

Lois: As a matter of fact, all three of Shirley's children are fine!

Accepting the assumption that nobody who has measles is fine, which of the following must be true about this exchange?

A) It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are right about Shirley's children.

B) It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are mistaken about Shirley's children.

C) Either Ellen is right about Shirley's children, or Lois is right about them, but they cannot both be right.

D) Ellen and Lois might both be right about Shirley's children, and they might both be wrong about them.

E) None of these alternatives correctly identifies the possibilities for this scenario.


IMO B)

The Q ask "must be true". It is possible that Ellen and Lois are mistaken about one or two children of Shirley. C) says either one is right which may or may not be true.

Actually C overlooks the fact that both can be wrong but B says possibly hence no restriction on other conditions !!!EXTREME choices are often not correct !!!
B is best :
its possible 2SC have M and 1 sc does not
1 sc is fine 2 are not
BOTH WENT WRONG here hence this scenario needs to be taken care .But C does not give any space for this it says either of them should be correct which is wrong
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 186
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2008, 09:12
1
This post received
KUDOS
But the question stem clearly says that both E and L are talking about all 3 the three children not one or two.
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 108 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2008, 09:48
2
This post received
KUDOS
grepro wrote:
But the question stem clearly says that both E and L are talking about all 3 the three children not one or two.


Ok fine i agree on this that the E and L talk about all three
say,E is incorrect => all the three dont have measels .This means
1)one has measels
or
2)only two has measels
or
3)none has measels

hence above can be true which means in case1 and case2 Even L is wrong so we cannot say whenever E is wrong L can be right
clearly its a possibility that E and L both can be false as per (C)where nothing is must be just coulD be !!!quite relaxed

HTH

:-D
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 186
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2008, 09:52
Point taken....many thanks.
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2010
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [5] , given: 0

Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 11:22
5
This post received
KUDOS
Accepting the assumption that nobody who has measles is fine, which of the following must be true about this exchange?

(A) It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are right about Shirley's children.

This is not the correct answer because someone who has measles cannot be fine and one of them says they all have measles and the other says they're all fine.

(B) It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are mistaken about Shirley's children.
This is the correct answer. It's perfectly possible that neither of them have measles. However, that doesn't mean they're all fine. They can be not fine for some other reason other than measles.

(C) Either Ellen is right about Shirley's children, or Lois is right about them, but they cannot both be right.

They cannot both be right but it doesn't mean one of them has to be right. See (B)

(D) Ellen and Lois might both be right about Shirley's children, and they might both be wrong about them.

They might be both wrong about them, but they can't be both right

(E) None of these alternatives correctly identifies the possibilities for this scenario.

Not true for the only reason that B is right. Kinda silly
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Oct 2010
Posts: 25
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 13:39
I think the answer is C.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 154
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 19:20
c for me
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 21:35
OA IS WRONG GO FOR C
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 21:56
Accepting the assumption that nobody who has measles is fine, which of the following must be true about this exchange?

(A) It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are right about Shirley's children.
Since E contradicts L, it is not possible and thus cannot be true.

(B) It is possible that both Ellen and Lois are mistaken about Shirley's children.
Yes, this is possible. It may not necessarily be so but possibility still exists and we must not exclude it.

(C) Either Ellen is right about Shirley's children, or Lois is right about them, but they cannot both be right.
This statement implies one of them is definitely right. But they can both be wrong.

(D) Ellen and Lois might both be right about Shirley's children, and they might both be wrong about them.
Unites options of A and B. Wrong since A is wrong.

(E) None of these alternatives correctly identifies the possibilities for this scenario.
Wrong. B does.

Last edited by kiroleg on 10 Nov 2010, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: I rest, I rust.
Joined: 04 Oct 2010
Posts: 121
Schools: ISB - Co 2013
WE 1: IT Professional since 2006
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 04:46
My first take was C (I even went to the lengths to tell myself that assuming the kids werent suffering from anything else), but after seeing arguments presented by some of the club members, B looks safest bet.
_________________

Respect,
Vaibhav

PS: Correct me if I am wrong.


Last edited by vaibhavtripathi on 29 Oct 2010, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Can't give up
Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 321
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-children [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 05:18
good one..that's what I have to say.

Went for C..but now I stand corrected.
Re: CR-children   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2010, 05:18
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Three children, Alice, Brian, and Chris have a total of bschool83 5 24 Jul 2011, 14:30
2 Three Children Alice, Brain & Chris have a total of qweert 4 07 Aug 2010, 21:30
Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles! Swagatalakshmi 16 09 Dec 2006, 14:00
Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles! u2lover 12 22 Jul 2006, 18:26
Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles! andy_gr8 14 14 Jan 2006, 14:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ellen: All three of Shirley's children have the measles!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 53 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.