Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Email Etiquette

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Email Etiquette [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2008, 12:43
Guys, I have been fortunate enough to have been in touch with an adcom for a school I am applying. Right now, I am waiting for the decision for that school, and my question is:

If I email that adcom out of nowhere to reaffirm my interest of the school being my first choice, will I look desperate? Obviously the content of the letter and how it sounds matters a lot, so how would you guys put it?

Thanks guys.
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Email Etiquette [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2008, 13:19
jtai wrote:
Guys, I have been fortunate enough to have been in touch with an adcom for a school I am applying. Right now, I am waiting for the decision for that school, and my question is:

If I email that adcom out of nowhere to reaffirm my interest of the school being my first choice, will I look desperate? Obviously the content of the letter and how it sounds matters a lot, so how would you guys put it?

Thanks guys.

Here's how adcom from Columbia responded on that "other forum"

http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=57996
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Email Etiquette [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2008, 00:22
jtai wrote:

Thanks guys.

I'd say, don't. It will just demonstrate your impatience and /or desperation. Relax.
Intern
Intern

Re: Email Etiquette [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2008, 05:06
Helg, ryguy, thanks for the comments.

While I believe sending an email reiterating that the school is your first choice is acceptable, I believe sending more than more than one of the email may make your sound desperate. Because I send one already after meeting with the adcom, I decided not to send another one. I think I am over-thinking this...
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Email Etiquette [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2008, 11:48
If you can find a convenient reason to email an adcom, I think it can be handled therein.

For example, after I got my interview invite (it was with an alumnus who had related experience in my post-MBA aspirations) I emailed the adcoms to thank them for going the extra mile to match me with someone who was on a similar career path.

Maybe the match happened by coincidence, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. It was a great opening to lead into "how much you appreciate the school's attentiveness to your career goals", "how much it strengthens your opinion of the school" etc. Personally, I didn't take such an explicit route; I attempted to communicate my regard for the school by keeping it as a simple thank-you note... hopefully that message wasn't lost in the subtlety. I did receive an email back from adcom thanking me for the kind email.

Anyway, if you are going to email adcom, I say do so but add something else in there that will be worthwhile to them. Perhaps provide some positive feedback on a recent info session you attended, or how valuable their employment placement guide was when it came down to deciding which school would be your first choice. And I guess this is obvious but I'll say it anyway: don't attempt it unless you actually mean it! I'm betting they have finely tuned BS detectors.
Intern
Intern

Re: Email Etiquette [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2008, 16:58
Hey guys,
I did it despite posters discouragement. And here's my experience: The admissions director emailed me back within 30 mins telling me thanks for the note and that they had "news" for me and expect a call within 24 hours. Well i waited and they didn't call me in 24 hours but they did call me at 6am the following business day after that and told me that I got accepted! So I say it doesn't hurt to reaffirm your interest. :)
Good luck!
Kat
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Email Etiquette [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2008, 17:19
congrats kat! Care to tell us where you got in so we can document it? :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Intern
Intern

Re: Email Etiquette [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2008, 19:41
katgirl, huge congrats! and thank you for the note.
Now you made me think :?
Do you guys think it's ok to say this to the adcom: "I will attend XYZ school if I am admitted"?
Just want to learn what is appropriate in American culture
Intern
Intern

Re: Email Etiquette [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 09:02
My story was about Michigan state. :) Not a top 10 school, but I still say they aren't gonna deny you because you emailed them to tell them you are their first choice. I really think it can only help you if anything!
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Email Etiquette [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 09:19
katgirl82 wrote:
My story was about Michigan state. :) Not a top 10 school, but I still say they aren't gonna deny you because you emailed them to tell them you are their first choice. I really think it can only help you if anything!

Well done KG :cool

Again, that was exactly Columbia's response. Don't send them 10 notes, but if you send them one, it makes sense that it can only help (unless there are typos, grammar, issues, misspellings, etc. in the letter).

ryguy904 wrote:
jtai wrote:

Thanks guys.

Here's how adcom from Columbia responded on that "other forum"

http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=57996
Re: Email Etiquette   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2008, 09:19