Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

EMBA Decision - Michigan-Notre Dame-Cornell-Northwestern

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

EMBA Decision - Michigan-Notre Dame-Cornell-Northwestern [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 10:30
I just completed the final application steps for Michigan and Notre Dame, with Cornell and Northwestern to be completed soon. I would love to hear from everyone their thoughts on which program they think would be the best fit for me.

Here are the basics on each program:

Michigan-Ross EMBA Program
 Program Duration: 20 months
 Program Cost: $135,000
 EMBA Rankings: #6 Poets & Quants, #7 BW, #15 WSJ, #8 US News, #31 FT
 Visiting Campus: x1 per month with two (2) one week residencies.
 Study Time per Week (Avg.): 15-20 hrs.

Notre Dame EMBA Program
 Program Duration: 21 months
 Program Cost: $88,500
 EMBA Rankings: #22 Poets & Quants, #20 BW, #6 WSJ, Not Rated-US News & FT
 Classroom: x1 per month with four (4) one week residencies.
 Study Time per Week (Avg.): 15-20 hrs.

Cornell-Johnson EMBA Program
 Program Duration: 22 months
 Program Cost: $145,380
 EMBA Rankings: #8 P&Q, 2nd Tier BW, #8 WSJ, #20 US News, #24 FT
 Classroom Time: x2 per month (Sat-Sun) with summer off (2 months); four (4) one week residencies.
 Study Time per Week (Avg.): 20 hrs.

Northwestern EMBA Program
 Program Duration: 22 months
 Program Cost: $153,900
 EMBA Rankings: #3 Poets & Quants, #1 BW, #5 WSJ, #2 US News, #20 FT
 Visiting Campus: x2 per month (Fri-Sun) with July off; two (2) one week residencies.
 Study Time per Week (Avg.): 25-30 hrs.

I have visited Michigan and Notre Dame and LOVED everything I saw about the programs. I haven't visited Cornell, but have heard great things about their EMBA Program. Northwestern of course is a top-level program with a world-class reputation.

I am trying to determine which program would have the following for me:

1. Strong reputation nationally if I relocate from the Midwest to the West coast.
2. Jumping board for possible career transition (at least the option if I wanted to)
3. Strong alumni network
4. Schedule that fits best with my life (travel for campus visits, homework per week)

Details about myself - I'm 37 yrs. old, work for a Fortune 500 company, and responsible for leading twenty-three direct reports with P&L responsibility of over $100 million. I work around 60 hours per week, but would cut-back to around 45-50 when school starts. I plan on paying for the program myself, with no corporate support.

Thank you for any and all comments and advice.

Regards,
Tim
Intern
Intern
Schools: Mendoza, Fisher, Ross
Followers: 0

Re: EMBA Decision - Michigan-Notre Dame-Cornell-Northwestern [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 20:35
Tim,

3/4 programs you selected were also in my original scope. In the end I applied to Notre Dame first as my primary choice. As a small business owner, my decision was affected greatly by the cost. I felt whatever additional advantages that were derived from the other schools, didn't warrant the extra monies. In short, ND provides the best ROI for my future.

The schedule of Mich. and ND. In my opinion are also the most practical. As most applicants, I have responsibilities that can't be set aside.

Finally, I felt that the ND brand supersedes all others when it comes to the consideration of ethics, and awareness. I want to grow as a person, and a real leader. I felt the program, under the school, was the best route for me.

The new curriculum that was just launched is brilliant, and I look forward to the balanced approach of weaving strategy, leadership and core fundamentals.

Good luck and I hope to see you there in July.
Intern
Intern

Re: EMBA Decision - Michigan-Notre Dame-Cornell-Northwestern [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 18:23
discipline,

Thanks for your insight!

I agree that Michigan and ND have the best schedules for working professionals, with campus visits just once a month. I don't think I have the time to visit a campus every other weekend for classes.

Between Ross and Mendoza, who do you feel has the stronger reputation and alumni network? I know Ross is ranked higher with an extensive alumni network, but ND alumni are very loyal and network like crazy. ND also has the "name" with worldwide recognition. It seems very even to me.

Regards,
Tim
Intern
Intern
Schools: Mendoza, Fisher, Ross

Re: EMBA Decision - Michigan-Notre Dame-Cornell-Northwestern [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 19:51
That is a good question, and one which I don't have enough knowledge or experience to answer well.

In addition to the the global network, is your class network. Speaking with ND Alumni of 2012, 2011, I found that they both had job offers during their time in the program. However, I don't believe that is something unique to one school.

I really liked the elective format of Michigan, and do wish the ND program modeled that a little closer. The electives in ND are only provided during the immersion weeks. But, with that being said, they are taught by the top tier Mendoza faculty.

One could possibly surmise that if an individual had to select between two programs, he might be more value conscientious than a corporation. And wouldn't the higher tuition costs drive away those earning less? Thus, those that do enroll might be of a higher salary level, and can either; (1) afford it themselves, or (2) be considered worth the investment by their organization.

What I am implying is that Michigan might have more, higher caliber, Executives than ND. Maybe?

Contrasting that chain of logic, my neighbor's father is a pilot for private jets. He said that, "you will never see more leer jets at an airport than you will at South Bend on game day." It is a weird indicator, but it gives you an idea.
Intern
Intern

Re: EMBA Decision - Michigan-Notre Dame-Cornell-Northwestern [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 20:36
discipline,

Very valid points you make. I feel like I can't go wrong with either program. I like the fact that Michigan is a Fri-Sat once a month visit vs. ND which is Thurs-Sat. I also think Michigan has fewer immersion weeks than ND, but this is minor.

There is a significant price difference between the two - $88,500 (ND) vs. $135,000 (Ross). That is a big chunk of change.

One other point, I REALLY love the new EMBA program/format at ND.

When I ask business contacts or friends about both programs, NO ONE can quote MBA rankings or standings for Michigan or Notre Dame. Everyone can agree they are both stellar schools/programs, but ND seems to have a mystique to its name. It does seem like a very strong name nationwide, where some programs are more regional.

BTW, congratulations on your acceptance to Notre Dame! Maybe I will see you this summer.

Regards,
Tim
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross PT
WE 1: Operations Management
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Project Engineer

Re: EMBA Decision - Michigan-Notre Dame-Cornell-Northwestern [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 07:32
Tim - You might want to take into consideration the OCD at Ross. It's stellar and works with Part Time and EMBA student as much as Full-time students.
Re: EMBA Decision - Michigan-Notre Dame-Cornell-Northwestern   [#permalink] 15 May 2011, 07:32